Original > Hot Tub Forum

How to lower Alk?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Vinny:
If you want to use grocery store stuff - Borax is what you want. "20 mule team borax". Washing soda will raise the alkalinity as well.

I have reservations about using grocery store bought stuff in a spa except for baking soda. I can imagine the problem if the spa has a problem and you say you used borax, bleach or vinegar in the spa ... there goes the warranty!

I think I would stick with "spa stuff" until the warranty expires.

MostlyLurkingGal:
Hi Vinny, I bought my tub used, so I don't have a warranty. I know to raise ph AND alk...I can use Baking soda. For just the Ph...I could use Soda ash.  What is Borax for? I have 20 mule team Borax here....but it's not soda ash, is it?

tony:

--- Quote ---Hi Vinny, I bought my tub used, so I don't have a warranty. I know to raise ph AND alk...I can use Baking soda. For just the Ph...I could use Soda ash.  What is Borax for? I have 20 mule team Borax here....but it's not soda ash, is it?
--- End quote ---

Borax is not soda ash, but will raise pH without pulling up TA.  It works well.  Baking soda is the exact same thing as Alk Up or Spa Up.  The only difference is the package.

Vinny:
Borax raises the PH without affecting the alkalinity.

No it's not soda ash but it's close chemically to it. There is a website for pools that have people using bleach for chlorine, borax for PH up and baking soda for pool store alkalinity increaser ... baking soda. Arm and Hammer washing soda is a similar product chemically to baking soda and will increase both PH and alkalinity. It's funny that I use both in my pool but the PH in my pool's water doesn't budge at all with adding baking soda and it swings it higher in the tub.

A while back there was a discussion about using pool store bought baking soda vs grocery store baking soda and it was discussed and argued (by me) that it is the same but way cheaper. Sodium bicard is sodium bicard.

If you REALLY want to get adventurous give bleach a try! ;) I had a discussion about bleach, stabilizer (CYA) and the killing effects with higher CYA and some one there who seems to know a lot about chemistry gave me a lesson where the lessons of Vermonter were left off. But that's another discussion.

tony:

--- Quote ---
If you REALLY want to get adventurous give bleach a try! ;) I had a discussion about bleach, stabilizer (CYA) and the killing effects with higher CYA and some one there who seems to know a lot about chemistry gave me a lesson where the lessons of Vermonter were left off. But that's another discussion.
--- End quote ---

I keep a low level of free chlorine with an 8 inch trichlor puck in a feeder in the pool and suppliment with bleach or liquid chlorine a couple of times a week.  I use dichlor after soaking in my spa and bleach or liquid chlorine when I want to bring the free chlorine up to give a good sanitizing or when I want to raise pH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version