What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trigger pulled! Need install info.  (Read 4291 times)

Patton

Trigger pulled! Need install info.
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:31:58 pm »
Ok, I went from thinking $1900 refurb to $10k tub almost overnight. I got them to pay the sales tax so I get the 2006 Artesian Dove Canyon for $9995 or as I prefer to think of it 10k. I think I know where I want to put the tub. Let the questions begin. Is 4' on all sides sufficient access for a tub? If I am sitting it basically on the ground can I excavate, put down so many inches of pea gravel and then top with pavers? I just don't feel up to concrete. How many inches of pea gravel? Are some pavers better than other for this work? For example is a particular size paver easier to work with or causes less problems. How far away should the tub be from the disconnect box? Finally, assuming you have already done this were there any aha moments where you said if I did this again I would... Any and all help appreciated!!

I'm starting to get pretty excited about the whole thing ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hot Tub Forum

Trigger pulled! Need install info.
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:31:58 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Trigger pulled! Need install info.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57:20 pm »
If by 4 feet all around the tub you are talking parimeter, then yes

Pavers are good, but I would verify that with the dealer - you don't want to void any warranty. Usually I think it's 4" of gravel/sand then the pavers.

The electrical code has specific requirements, go to the library and review them. I think it has to be between 5 feet and 10 feet and within the line of site of the tub.

Look around your yard and see if there is something you want to block or not block. My cover is a barrier from my next door neighbors view but I have another's window looking over the tub. See how far it is from the door, some people don't want to be 20' from the door in the winter. My tub is about 10' from the door and it isn't a big deal. If your planning on any non soaking "activity" - make sure it's private or else we'll see it on the internet!  ;D Music or no music, lighting or none. I prefer to soak in complete darkness or at least as dark as it gets around me but we installed deck lights - there goes the darkness. Some people prefer a lifter that the cover isn't towering over them, some don't care.

Just some thing to think about!

Patton

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:19:08 pm »
There were several good pieces of information there. I certainly don't want to be on the internet ::) I have a buddy who is a licensed electrician in town so I will give him a call. I am beginning to think that maybe I will look at concrete as it seems a waste to have pavers under a tub and out of sight. I may call around tomorrow and see what is the going rate for pouring a slab for a tub. Oh and yes I did mean four foot from the tub in any direction to the first obstacle.

The distance from door to tub will be about 37' for me. I wish it was closer but I don't see any other real options based on the layout of the yard and existing structures. The thing about concrete is the idea of so many wheel barrows is daunting to say the least.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:00:32 pm »
There is somthing called a handipad that some dealers carry - look into that. I think all you do is level the ground, buy how many squares you need of this handipad, put them together and you're done.

I also know Artesian is carrying something now for walls but I don't know about floors.

The distance from the door isn't a big deal unless you feel the cold. My wife is frozen instanly when she leaves the tub but I am ok for about 5 to 10 minutes after putting a robe on and taking the suit off. Also, keep in mind that unless you use bromine you need to get to the tub to put chlorine in and if you use the Vermonter way of using dichlor - close the tub after putting dichlor in.

Do you live where it snows? If yes, then keep a kiddie snow shovel handy, putting a snowblower on the cover is murder. ;) Seriously, think about snow removal as making a path in the snow is something you will need to do because if you don't ice is no fun! I do use a plastic kids snow shovel for the cover so I don't damage the cover.

As you live with it you will see what works or doesn't and can modify things as you require.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
. The thing about concrete is the idea of so many wheel barrows is daunting to say the least.
Have you ever heard of walk behind, gas powered concrete buggies? They are a great time and back saver and can be rented at any local tool rental company at a very resonable price. Here's a link to one.  :)
http://www.rentrain.com/actionrentalkpt/product.php?id=939
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:15:47 pm by WHY_NOT »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:10:27 pm »
Have you ever heard of walk behind, gas powered concrete buggies? They are a great time and back saver and can be rented at any local tool rental company at a very resonable price. Here's a link to one.  :)
http://www.rentrain.com/actionrentalkpt/product.php?id=939

That's what they used with my patio

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Richs100

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 05:14:28 pm »
We were using quite a bit of concrete for this job, so the concrete buggy came in real handy.

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 05:24:46 pm »
Richs

Do you have any more 'in progress' shots?  :o - I find those ones fascinating!   ;)

Nosh.

Richs100

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 05:43:15 pm »
Richs

Do you have any more 'in progress' shots?  :o - I find those ones fascinating!   ;)

Nosh.

Nosh:
Here is a link to an old post which has the recap of the "forced" upgrade.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1165156663

Rich
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:45:59 pm by Richs100 »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »

Nosh:
Here is a link to an old post which has the recap of the "forced" upgrade.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1165156663

Rich
I forgot how nice your set up is.  8-)

Richs100

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 08:36:05 pm »
I forgot how nice your set up is.  8-)

Thanks Chad.  I'm still trying to decide what to do about a railing along the edge.  
I've only almost fallen off the edge of the patio once while getting out of the tub!   :)  
The fact that its rounded has limited my choices.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 10:09:10 pm »

Thanks Chad.  I'm still trying to decide what to do about a railing along the edge.  
I've only almost fallen off the edge of the patio once while getting out of the tub!   :)  
The fact that its rounded has limited my choices.
What are some of your options so far? Are you wanting to go with wood, vinyl, or iron? I'm guessing you'd need some sort of railing that wouldn't need to utilize posts due to the concrete slab. I'm sure there's some sort of iron railing system that can be anchored into the concrete and comes in rounded sections. I'll do a google search even though I'm sure you've already done tons of research. I'm kinda bored though b/c the Cards/Cubs game is in yet another rain delay, so it'll give me something to do. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:50:14 pm by WHY_NOT »

Richs100

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 10:40:05 pm »
I really liked the aluminum and steel cable railings they have at www.cablerail.com, but because the curve is free form, it would take too many posts to carry the steel cables around the bends and it would not look uniform at all.  

I am now considering a bent steel or aluminum tube railing but that would have to be a custom bend job.  Just haven't had time to find a local fabricator here in Maryland.  

I did intend to bold the posts to the sides of the pad.  I've seen some side mount holders that might work too.
I loved the free form curves in the deck, but just didn't think about how difficult they might might make it for a railing.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 10:48:53 pm »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 10:48:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42