What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Whirlpool tub or hot tub?  (Read 5387 times)

Pjjep

Whirlpool tub or hot tub?
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is killing me.  I have been thinking about installing either a whirlpool bathtub or a hot tub on the deck.  Do any of you have both and like one over the other?  

Hot Tub Forum

Whirlpool tub or hot tub?
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Whirlpool tub or hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:07:39 pm »
I have rheumatoid arthritis that is killing me.  I have been thinking about installing either a whirlpool bathtub or a hot tub on the deck.  Do any of you have both and like one over the other?  

I have a whirlpool bathtub in the master bath...it rarely gets used and never by me.  I have a hot tub outdoors on the deck and it gets used just about daily all year long.  A spa that is hot and ready to go is more likely to get use than a tub that you have to fill and your water stays warm with a hot tub compared to the cooling of a bath tub.  The jets in a spa are going to give you better therapy than a whirlpool bath and its so nice to be soaking outdoors.  If you should decide on a bathtub, my advice would be to stay away from large tubs and keep close to a standard bathtub size.  Waiting for large tubs to fill is enough to make you want to forget the whole experience.

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:18:02 pm »

PJJEP

I don't have a whirlpool tub, but I do have bad arthritis.  I have a friend who has a whirlpool tub, but he said he wants to get a hot tub ( I guess the whirlpool is not doing the job for his aches and pains ).  All I know is when I use the hot tub I feel sooo much better.  I used to think that going out in the freezing cold weather in winter would make the pain even worse, but for the short time you are in the cold, the hot water makes up for it.  Last night I felt realy achy, I went in the tub for about 45 min. and felt so much better, I even slept better.  The hot tub is like a wonder drug for pain, it's just amazing.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cyn

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 02:52:07 pm »
Pjjep--
Both types of tubs should help your rheumatoid arthritis pain.  The whirlpool tub does not give you the same weightlessness feel that the hot tub will give you and I find that the floating feeling actually makes me feel pain free for the time I am in the hot tub, which is amazing in itself!!  And it is true that the jets in the hot tub are more theraputic.  Also, you can get into a hot tub with less pressure...stairs to the top and a handle if you need one to step over the edge.  You can set up a step system for a whirlpool as well, but you need the space for a different than normal size tub for access and the smaller the bathtub, the harder it is to get the jet soothing therapy on your different joint areas.  But, you will need to take care of the hot tub...or have some help.  If you have severe mobility problems with your RH, you may need help every few months when you need to drain, clean the hot tub and filters and refill your hot tub.  

Good Luck with your search!!

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:20:36 pm »
Also in case you go with a large bathtub you may have to upgrade your water heater in order to cope with the amount of water.
I bet you would love a hot tub. Go and wet test !

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:31:28 pm »
Hot tub is probably direction you want to go. I don't own a whirlpool tub.

It will always be full, hot and ready for soaking. It probably will be more economical to run as once the water is heated it just maintains the temp. What Frank said is true - a 40 gallon hot water tank may be too small and you may need 1 inch plumbing to get it filled quickly.

You don't need a huge tub, there are some 2 or 3 seaters out there.

The only thing I will caution you is being outdoors isn't for everybody. Personally I think it's great and enjoy winter but my wife has a different opinion of going out there when it's cold.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:18:11 am »

I have both; RA and a hot tub (I wish I only had the hot tub but thank God for Voltarin and Humira).

The hot tub is great for convenience and the water stays hot all the time. You get sooo much more out of it than a whirlpool bath. I find it great for nights where you're just generally sore all over as it helps you wind down and get a good night sleep.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:25:26 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:48:09 am »
Yep, the hot tub is definately the best way to go. I also have arthritis and the hot tub has been such a blessing for me. I attended a seminar on arthritis in the spring and one of the key discussions focused on warm water exersize. I was glad that I decided on a large tub because it allows me move and exersize easily. I had also looked at whirlpool tubs, but realized as Tony said, I probably would not use it as filling and heating that volume of water would be expensive . The tub allows you to soak up to your neck, that would be tough in a tub.
The hot tub also has the added benefit of allowing your family and friends to join you in a relaxing atmosphere.  I wanted a tub for such a long time but felt kind of selfish spending that amount of money on myself. We have had our tub for almost 2 years now and my husband loves it, and claims he could never be without a tub again. The kids enjoy it as well.  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Pjjep

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:13:05 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great replies.  I am much closer now to doing this.  I think it will be just a matter of finding the perfect one!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:13:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42