What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calcium on tub!!!  (Read 4172 times)

Steelerpete

Calcium on tub!!!
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:12:20 am »
Have a question regarding calcium on the tub after a water change. We had it on the first fill and again when I changed the water, we have very hard water and was told by the guys setting up the tub to bypass my water softener?? It goes a way after a couple of days but will this cause any issues or will it be OK. The PH levels are quite high with the fresh water and it takes about a day to get in line?? Anyone else have this issue and is it OK to use the water softener when I fill the tub?? :) :) Thanks,

Pete

Hot Tub Forum

Calcium on tub!!!
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:12:20 am »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Calcium on tub!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:20:30 am »
You might want to try a 50/50 mixture when filling, 50% soften water and 50% straight well water.

Besides clogging up the filter and possibly some jets the calcium should not hurt anything else. Typically calcium build up is more of a mess then anything.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:07 am »
How high is the hardness and pH?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Steelerpete

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:19:05 pm »
Using the test stripes my water hardness is around 250 and the PH is between 7.2- 7.5 after using PH down to get it there.

Pete

Webini

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 02:42:03 pm »
Have a question regarding calcium on the tub after a water change. We had it on the first fill and again when I changed the water, we have very hard water and was told by the guys setting up the tub to bypass my water softener?? It goes a way after a couple of days but will this cause any issues or will it be OK. The PH levels are quite high with the fresh water and it takes about a day to get in line?? Anyone else have this issue and is it OK to use the water softener when I fill the tub?? :) :) Thanks,

Pete

I have the same issue with my well water.  I just fill from the hose.  It ends up being mostly soft water, with hard water towards the end as my softener runs out of soft water.  I just test the calcium level and add calcium increaser to balance the water.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:45:16 pm »
Your hardness level is fine.  The reason it comes out of solution is the initial pH level.  Keep doing what you are doing. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 02:45:36 pm by hottubdan »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 02:46:57 pm »

I have the same issue with my well water.  I just fill from the hose.  It ends up being mostly soft water, with hard water towards the end as my softener runs out of soft water.  I just test the calcium level and add calcium increaser to balance the water.

What Webini said.  Plus, the water softener also removes some of the metals in my well water before it gets to my tub.  I also use a pre-filter that attaches to the end of my hose.  Using the softened water is much easier, cleaner and less hassle than using the raw water from my well.

One other point.  If you intend to use a product like MetalGon upon refill, its probably a good idea to wait a week or so before you install a new Nature2 or other mineral cartridge.  I understand it can clog it up.
Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Webini

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:04:19 pm »

What Webini said.  Plus, the water softener also removes some of the metals in my well water before it gets to my tub.  I also use a pre-filter that attaches to the end of my hose.  Using the softened water is much easier, cleaner and less hassle than using the raw water from my well.

One other point.  If you intend to use a product like MetalGon upon refill, its probably a good idea to wait a week or so before you install a new Nature2 or other mineral cartridge.  I understand it can clog it up.
Rich

I use a prefilter too.  I still end up with copper in my water, but MetalGon takes care of that.

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 06:03:53 pm »
I wouldnt rely on what the reading on your test strip says  more than likely its probably higher.  Personally I havent seen a test strip be accurate for Calcium.  A prefilter is a good idea but I would recommend the ones that are used with carbon.  I find the ones sold by micropure are not efficient as a lot drains through where the bottom and top attach, sealed or pleated units work best IMO.  Swing down to your dealer and get them to test your hardness.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 03:48:28 pm »
What is the real issue with soft water? If you adjust the hardness, are there other considerations? I have been having a problem with iron and my dealer said as long as I added the correct amount of hardness, that was fine. This is the first time I tried using just the soft water and my water has been perfect.  Was that a bad idea? :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:14:49 pm »
Boni,

The only real issue can be foaming. It has been discussed that soft water can be corrosive to some metals but I think that has pretty much been dismissed as being wrong.

I think the other thing is the amount of water that is used can drain the water softener chemicals. But I am speculating on this.

I never really understood why people with a softener don't use it to fill the tub.

Vinny

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 10:35:36 pm »
I have heard you are adding corrosive salts to the water if you used softened water.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 10:51:19 pm »
How can I test for corrosive salts?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 10:57:02 pm »
If there was enough salt in the water, I know it would be corrosive, but how much residual salt is left in the softened water? I guess there is also the concern about evaporation concentrating the salt.
I just know my water has been perfect this fill. Maybe I will dilute it with unfiltered water to be safe. , but then I end up with the iron stains on my filters. :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 10:57:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42