What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer needs advice  (Read 8656 times)

TubsAndCues

Re: First time buyer needs advice
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 09:48:34 pm »
Welcome aboard!!!

As I'm sure you have seen, there is a lot of personal preference when picking out a tub.  Remember, this is YOUR tub, no one elses.  

Unlike Term, I'm not a big fan of the lounge, but I'm not real tall either.  Also, I like to sit a little higher out of the water.  

There are a few loungers out there that fit me well, but most don't.  As far as the lounge taking up space, i.e. you lose a seat, that's true.  However, while you lose a seat, you gain room for another pair of legs in the footwell area.

The things I always recommend to look for are spas that key in to the areas you want to focus on for massage.  Start there.

And the stainless steel jets?  Make sure they are stainless and NOT chromed plastic.  Those are the ones that will deteriorate over time.  Hot Spring is using real stainless steel.  I can't speak for anyone else at the moment.

Good luck in your search, and go wet test!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 09:48:34 pm »

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 11:04:05 am »
We bought our first tub about a year ago, so I know what it is like sorting through all the models, options and advice.  I think you had some very good advice on this thread already, but I wanted to add my thoughts...

After wet testing we bought a Hot Spring Grandee.  The open seating is much more flexible than the lounger, the design provided for a nice flat "cool down" seat to step into and out of the tub, and the size is such that we have lots of room to stretch out.  The most we have had in our tub is four adults, but normally it is only my wife and I.  We bought the rougher finish interior (the azurite) because we thought it would provide slightly better footing for ingress and egress.  We have had to clean a few times, but a sponge and baking soda did the trick.  (this was at the waterline where we had a line forming when we first filled and ran the tub).  So the short answer is that we have not seen a problem with cleanup.

You also asked about the base.  We thought about a lot of different options but ended up with pavers.  Our tub is near the house on a paver patio.  We step down from our deck using a four step stairway to the deck.  By using the pavers we were able to keep the area under the tub dead level but still have the rest of the patio with the gentle slope you need for drainage away from the house foundation.  For the area under the tub we had and additional two inches of base material, compacted to the same specs used for a driveway.  If it can hold a minivan, it can hold a hot tub!

Good luck on your search.  I hope you are able to start soaking soon.

Bill

Vanguard

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »
I know the folks at Ultra Modern there in Wichita.  You can't go with a better dealer.  They will stand behind you 100%.  Brand aside, the dealer can really make or break your experience.  You will do well with Ultra Modern.

Good Luck.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Telila

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 05:22:31 pm »
Sorry for the delay in response. We accidentally interrupted our cable service while siding the house - OOPS!
Only had a chance to go to the Ultra Modern store in Derby. The tub was set way too hot, 105 degrees. I got the impression they weren't too thrilled with a sale that involved them delivering to where we live (40 miles away) and it will cost an additional 50 dollars to have one delivered to us. That made me wonder if my tub needs any servicing are they going to be as reluctant. Anyways I will check out Ultra modern in the Wichita locations and then check out Quality Water in Arkansas City. We did look at the tubs there and liked the dealer but the price was a bit higher, or at least I thought so initially. Ultra Modern will charge us 100 for delivery, 149 for steps, 199 for lift cover, plus another 300 - 400 dollars if I want one that is not in the showroom and didn't sound to enthusiastic for my business. Quality had delivery, set up, steps and lift cover included in the price. No extra charge if I want a different color scheme than what is in the showroom.

I hope to have a tub by this fall but life has been too busy to even shop  :'(

Telila

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 05:34:49 pm »
As for the wet test...so glad we did it. It made me question a lounger even more. We took our best friends with us, he is 6 foot 11 inches tall and she is maybe 5 foot 3 inches. We wanted to see what it would be like for our friends and since they have both tall and short they were the best to bring with us. We also wanted to see just how crowded it got in the foot well. Foot well wasn't a problem, but the lounger didn't fit either of them. We all agreed that less is more, less jets seemed to be more comfy and beneficial than getting blasted out of your seat. We wet tested a Cal Spa and I don't think it will work for us. The lighting right beside the lounger and I know that 90% of the time we will use the tub at night so lighting is important. Entry into the tub seemed very awkward and one of our friends kind of slid in. So not a good first impression. Oh yeah the cal Spas have the painted chrome jets. Would rather just have colored plastic than fake stainless steel. I did decide that I do like the textured finishes better so at least I made progress.

Planning on testing the Caldera Friday for sure and then the Hot Springs probably next weekend.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 08:06:53 pm »
I got the impression they weren't too thrilled with a sale that involved them delivering to where we live (40 miles away) and it will cost an additional 50 dollars to have one delivered to us. That made me wonder if my tub needs any servicing are they going to be as reluctant.

I wouldn't think 40 miles would be too prohibitive for delivery but I guess they're just trying to cover some excess fuel/time versus their typical deliveries. Its more of a service question and 40 isn't too bad but I would definteily get in writing whether they would charge a trip fee for warranty service. I know people may disdain it and some may say there should never be one during warranty but it is clearly allowable in the warranty agreement with most manufacturers and not completely uncommon to see put in place with the high cost of fuel nowadays. What some dealers do as a part way concession is to do things like no charge the 6 months and then something after that.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 08:56:50 pm »
When I was shopping I went to a lot of dealers and before I went to one "far away" I asked if they had a problem. I live in central NJ and visited stores in PA, Toms River as well as Staten Island, NY. All said it wasn't a problem. I don't have milage but at the furthest dealers I was about 45 to 50 minutes away.

I would say that unless you LOVED the spa shop elsewhere. I have found that anyone who doesn't want your money before the sale won't be bothered after!

PVM

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 09:38:15 am »
Try Ebeling Pools in Hutchinson.  They are great people and went out of the way to make us happy.  We live quite a ways away from them and they stated they deliver to the entire SE portion of Kansas.

Good Luck!

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 03:27:37 pm »
Welcome to our little "world".

Although we're in the minority here, you won't hear much but good things about Beachcomber.  Although not as well known as others mentioned, they could still be worth a try.  Not a lot of bells and whistles, but rock-solid, well-built, and, at least for me, problem free for about exactly two years now.  They also have some innovative ideas.

Check their website to see the local dealers around your home.

Leak

Telila

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 11:04:30 pm »
We are still looking but although I am not thrilled with the idea of purchasing over the net, we did come across this company in our searches - PDC Spas. The don't have a retailer nearby but sent us to their online purchasing site. The price looks right, the options seem like what we wanted but I worry about service if I am purchasing online. Any thoughts? Has anyone bought their tub over the net?

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 07:55:41 pm »
TELILA

I would not feel very comfortable buying something so expensive and not knowing if you will have a hard time if you need repairs.  Once you bought it, it's yours, and so may be the repair bill.  IMO it means a whole lot more to know that you have a local dealer to call if you need one.  As the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for.  If buying over the internet means it may be less expensive, ask yourself if it's worth the aggrevation you may have in the long run.

I hope this helps with your decision.  Good luck.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 07:55:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42