What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring Hot Tubs  (Read 3281 times)

Spiderman

Wiring Hot Tubs
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:28:26 pm »
A couple of Q's for the dealers:  

1) do you make any electrical connections for your customers?

2) do you have any contracts with electrical contractors for the electrical work?  

3)  or do you just leave it up to the customer to find their own electrical contractor?

I wonder because I installed my own subpanel and then the delievery crew made the final connections inside the tub and I'm pretty sure he was not a licensed electrician.  Seems like a huge liability issue having a delievery boy make the connections to the tub; unless of course he's a licensed electrician.

I also think the dealer should have someone to offer to the customer to do the work.  It would be one less thing for the customer to worry about.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring Hot Tubs
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:28:26 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Wiring Hot Tubs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 04:41:34 pm »
We do not connect 220v spas.  We give out cards of electricians we know who successfully have helped other customers.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:01:14 am »
I'm not a dealer, but I have a lot of residential wiring projects under my belt, including my spa.

You need to check with the electrical authority in your area to see if permits and inspections are required on electrical modifications, and to see if homeowners or other non resident individuals are allowed to work on residential electric projects.

This all varies by locale.  Some places don't care, others won't let anyone do electrical work unless they are licensed.  Most are probably somewhere in between the two.  

The process I followed required two inspections- one rough in- where the wiring was inspected prior to covering it up and energizing it.  And a second inspection after all work, including hooking up the spa, is completed.  
 The only people allowed to work on residential wiring in my city is the actual homeowner, or a licensed electrician.  I'd bet most spa delivery people are not licensed electricians.

Find out what the rules are in your area, and if you are concerned about your hookup, ask to have it inspected.  Small price to pay for the peace of mind you'll get.

Not to mention what kind of insurance hassels you may have to deal with if there ever is a fire, and they can't find records on the work.

Brewman

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:44 am »
A couple of Q's for the dealers:  

1) do you make any electrical connections for your customers?

2) do you have any contracts with electrical contractors for the electrical work?  

3)  or do you just leave it up to the customer to find their own electrical contractor?

I wonder because I installed my own sub panel and then the delivery crew made the final connections inside the tub and I'm pretty sure he was not a licensed electrician.  Seems like a huge liability issue having a delivery boy make the connections to the tub; unless of course he's a licensed electrician.

I also think the dealer should have someone to offer to the customer to do the work.  It would be one less thing for the customer to worry about.

1. We always do the fill and fire making the final connection.... that has cut back on loose or over tightened wires on the terminal block and allows us to make sure everything is operational.

2. We have no contracts with electricians however they have to be at a standard of excellence for us to use them and they have to maintain that. We are very loyal to an electrician that works well with our customers.

3. We prefer our customers use our referred electrical as we know how each will do the job and have a history

4. We ask that whomever we refer try to be equal or even less in price then the average to encourage our customers to use them. We get no referral fee and give them enough business to spend most of their time on our customers.

I prefer that we can meet our recomended electrician out there so he can make all connections however, we want to set that time up with him not the customer so that if something happens to make us or him late the customer doesn't get frustrated.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:55:07 am by stuart »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42