What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck with concrete/wood footings  (Read 9479 times)

96SC

Deck with concrete/wood footings
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:44 am »
I have heard from the folks who have used pre-cast piers for deck footings, and I thank you.  Now how about those of you who poured concrete footings and used 4x4 (6x6) to support your deck that you put a spa on.

What was the biggest challenge?  How did you determine how far apart to put the footings/supports (along a single floor joist) and how far apart to put the joists?

Can you recommend a website that talks about in ground footings.

Anything you've experienced either + or - will be helpful.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:33:52 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Deck with concrete/wood footings
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:44 am »

Bama

Re: Deck with concrete/wood footings
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 03:15:55 pm »
I have heard from the folks who have used pre-cast piers for deck footings, and I thank you.  Now how about those of you who poured concrete footings and used 4x4 (6x6) to support your deck that you put a spa on.

What was the biggest challenge?  How did you determine how far apart to put the footings/supports (along a single floor joist) and how far apart to put the joists?

Thanks for your help.

Ok, here's what little I know:  (I'm an overkill freak, ok?)

We used the concrete with fiber reinforcement poured into 2' x 2' holes.  We also added re-bar (not that you have to with this type concrete)   The joist are 12" apart under the tub area and 16" on center for the remainder of the deck.  Under the tub there are 6 footings with steel posts.  The outer perimeter of the deck is more decorative with 6x6 wood supports.  The deck planks are 2" x 6".
Now......we know this is overkill, however we are building an upper deck that will one day be inclosed with the roof extended over it.  We are preparing now with our house grade footings to support the roof.  Our deck can support 5000 PSI.  I think only 150 PSI is actually required for our 650 gal spa.  
You might ask one of the pro's here on this forum how much PSI is required for your particular tub.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:06:45 pm »

We used the concrete with fiber reinforcement poured into 2' x 2' holes.  We also added re-bar (not that you have to with this type concrete)   The joist are 12" apart under the tub area and 16" on center for the remainder of the deck.  Under the tub there are 6 footings with steel posts.  The outer perimeter of the deck is more decorative with 6x6 wood supports.  The deck planks are 2" x 6".
Now......we know this is overkill, however we are building an upper deck that will one day be inclosed with the roof extended over it.  We are preparing now with our house grade footings to support the roof.  Our deck can support 5000 PSI.  I think only 150 PSI is actually required for our 650 gal spa.  
You might ask one of the pro's here on this forum how much PSI is required for your particular tub.

This is very similar to what I'm just about to build.  We had an engineer design our lower deck where the hot tub will go.  The tub area is 10x11.  On each side there's 3 6x6 posts sitting on 18"x18"x10" poured footings with double 2x10 beam notched into each of the 6x6 posts.  The joists rest on top of the beams and are 2x10's on 12" centers.  Our deck boards are also 2x6's.  I think this should be plenty strong enough for our tub.  We're only about 2 and a half feet above the ground so the posts are under 2 feet  so there's no need for any cross bracing.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

nicker

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:59:14 am »
Now I know I went way "OVER KILL" but here is what I did.

My deck is 8' x 12" and sets between 2 and 2 1/2 off the ground (ground is not level).   I have 9 footings - 4 up the 12' length and 3 accross the 8' width.  These have rebar in them 10 diameter and little larger at the bottom.  On top of the footings I used a bolt sunk into the concrete when it was wet and then a bracked that is attached to that bolt.  In the brackets sits doubled up 2x10s as beams.  Three of them run on top of the 12' lenghts.  On top of those beams are 2x8 laid out at 12" centres.  On top of those are deck boards.  I also used 2x8 blocks between the joists to keep them upright along with a faceplate.   3 years and winters with frost and NOT a single problem at all!  Could put a tank in it.

96SC

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 02:12:46 pm »
Thanks for the specs guys.  After seeing the number of concrete pre-cast piers on the floating decks I imagined a similar number of concrete footing, but not so.  There are a great deal less footings than piers.

The spa dealer told us to build a deck that would support 5000 lbs.  I think you guys could support our house on your decks.  (I'm not being critical).

I may be contacting some of you when we decide which type of deck to build.  In the mean time good luck on your second floors.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 02:19:15 pm »

Thanks for your help.

5000 lbs per square inch?  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 08:06:10 pm »
You should build a deck to 150 PSF . Overbuilding is a great idea 64 SF x 150PSF = 9600 lbs. Remember how much weight it can get to be!

I have 6 footings supporting the tub, used 6x6's and 2x10's throughout the whole supporting structure of the deck.

Here's some photos

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 08:06:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42