What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: White Flakes, the final chapter  (Read 4350 times)

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
White Flakes, the final chapter
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:25:19 pm »
This is mostly to thank those of you who helped me with this problem.
To recap for newbies, I came back from a vacation to find that I had lots of white flakes floating around the hot tub. It almost looked like dandruff! The stuff would disappear if you rubbed it between your fingers.
I was told that it was "paper mold", an organic biofilm that was growing in the plumbing of the spa.
I tried sanitizing it, but nothing worked.
Here is what I finally did;
I put in LOTS of dichlor. I think it was about 8 oz. I washed and chemically cleaned the filters (Tri-X) twice and then physically washed them every day for a week. I ran the pumps with the diverter in the 12 oclock position for several hours and drained about a gallon out through the two ground level drains to make sure the high chlorine liquid purged that area.
It took about a week for the chlorine levels to drop down to normal levels, despite taking Chas' advice of throwing my kids in a few times! Once the CL levels dropped, the rest of the chemistry seemed to also drop back into normal. I have seen no white flakes in a week.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice! Especially to Chas who put up with a phone call too!

Hot Tub Forum

White Flakes, the final chapter
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:25:19 pm »

J._McD

Re: White Flakes, the final chapter
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 01:03:24 pm »
Around of applause for the forum. ;D

AND, a standing ovation for the selfless efforts of Chas to make Hot Tub living more enjoyable for all. ;D

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 01:15:31 pm »
Yes, Chas has helped me out also. He does all this for free which is very rare in today's society.

On a side note. I never want to experience this exercise. What do I have to do prevent water mold?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 02:19:09 pm »
Yes, Chas has helped me out also. He does all this for free which is very rare in today's society.

On a side note. I never want to experience this exercise. What do I have to do prevent water mold?

stay up on your chemicals weekly and you won't have that problem......if you get behind or have a ton of useage and you don't correct it that can happen....

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 02:45:07 pm »
Your system must be running at 99% no bypass or less.
Oh well. :P
Steve

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:06:37 am »
Congrats Bearbath!  Enjoy the lovely Rochester weather in your sparkly clean tub.  Oh, wait...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:06:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42