What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hydrogen peroxide as a sanatizer????  (Read 5656 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
hydrogen peroxide as a sanatizer????
« on: June 18, 2005, 01:14:56 pm »
I was speaking with a guy from my work, and he said that he only uses hydrogen peroxide and baking soda for his chemicals.  He has been using this for three years with great success.

Has anyone heard of this and what do you do.  He does not use shock or chlorine or bromine.  

I this for real??????? ???

Hot Tub Forum

hydrogen peroxide as a sanatizer????
« on: June 18, 2005, 01:14:56 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: hydrogen peroxide as a sanatizer????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 01:29:57 pm »
Make a note to yourself and NEVER use his spa! :P
If he invites you over, tell him that your skin disease is still acting up or ask him if using a spa relieves the pain associated with hemorrhoids! ;D

Steve

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 01:38:15 pm »
People that use Peroxide for their spa swear by it until the spa components start to fail and then blame it on the spa! Peroxide is very corrosive to the system and although it gives the perception of clean water has a tendency to render the performance enhancers useless. It is also not PH neutral and can cause many balance problems.

It would be like using acid as a household cleaning solution...It would clean the mess yet deteriorate the surface your cleaning and shorten the lifespan.

To date I don't know of one manufacture that will approve it as an "Authorized Sanitizer" and most will void the warranty if you use it.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 01:54:30 pm »
I had a customer who used Hydrogen Peroxide in the form of Developer from a Beauty Supply store.

He poured about 2 liters in with fresh water every month. He claimed it worked perfectly - but I sure wouldn't have gotten in the tub!

This was in a Softub, and I think he eventurally had a problem with the liner getting brittle.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 08:29:56 am »
Hydrogen Peroxide is very effective in killing bacteria in water. Back in the early 80's, I was using it with an automated chemical feeder in conjunction with an Aquazone Compressor Ozonator. Other than the peroxide, it was chemical free. Spa water always looked great and odor free.
Here comes the problem; the peroxide was tearing up equipment on an annual basis and if you ever got it on your skin in straight form, it would burn, it was 37% peroxide.
I don't believe it is a true sanitizer, it probably wasn't when I was using it either.

hottubber...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 08:29:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42