What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which water test kit of these is the best?  (Read 8601 times)

Chartreux

Which water test kit of these is the best?
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:38 am »
The following water test kits, which one has the best results for you. The three I've got narrowed down to are: TF100, Taylor 9265 and the Lamotte 2056 colorQ Pro7.
Which of these has the more accurate results for quality of water in a hot tub/spa?
Anyone use any of these and get good results?

Thank You.

Hot Tub Forum

Which water test kit of these is the best?
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:38 am »

chem geek

Re: Which water test kit of these is the best?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »
The TFTestkits TF-100 is based on the Taylor K-2006.  There is no such thing as the Taylor 9265 -- did you mean the 2006 instead?  Both the TF-100 and the K-2006 are for chlorine, though technically they can also be used for bromine but you get extra tests such as the CYA test that you generally don't need for a bromine spa.  The TF-100 is more economical than the K-2006 in terms of quantities of the reagents you use the most, but the pH test is different with a smaller wider range comparator.  The TF-100 lacks the acid/base demand tests but not everyone uses those.  You can look at Test Kits Compared.

The ColorQ is different and measures some things well and others not so well.  It doesn't do great with high CH levels nor the CYA test, but is great for pH and OK with chlorine.  There are lots of threads on other forums about the ColorQ that go into greater detail.

Topline Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:32:29 pm »
The TF100 kit uses taylor reagents.  Like chem said, you just get different quantities.  If you want to use a bromine system, then you would need the Taylor K2106 test kit.  Whichever one you get, I think you are making a wise decision by owning one. 

Chartreux

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »
Yes, sorry I did mean the K-2006 thanks for the correction.

Isaac-1

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:59:23 pm »
I think the big question here is how do you plan to manage your tub, are you going to use Chlorine or Bromine, or something else?  If Chlorine what are you going to use to chlorinate, dichlor, bleach, etc?  I have the TF-100 which I use for my swimming pool, and occasionally for my hot tub, but most of the time I just use a simple OTO Chlorine / pH test for the hot tub, as it tells me most of what I care about on a daily basis, once I get things fine tuned after a fresh refill using the TF-100.

Ike

Chartreux

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:33:11 pm »
Bromine will be used, "No Chlorine". I'm too sensitive to chlorine and I'd get a asthma flair...and if I can find some safer I'll give that a try...

Quickbeam

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:01 pm »
Have you thought of trying hydrogen peroxide? We are just about to get our first tub and that is what we are going to try as our sanitizer. There is a lot of information on line if you look for it. The only experience we have with it is that we have a friend who uses it and raves about it. We've tried her tub and it was a totally different experience. Again, I have no first hand knowledge other than being in a friends tub, but this is what we are going to try.

Topline Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:54:43 pm »
Bromine will be used, "No Chlorine". I'm too sensitive to chlorine and I'd get a asthma flair...and if I can find some safer I'll give that a try...

You might not know this chart, but sodium bromide + chlorine = bromine or hypobromous acid. 

Chartreux

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:58:20 am »
Thank You
Yes, but with the Bromine there is less of the chlorine, which should be helpful, also with the ozone system there should be less of a need for bromine.
I will also, look into the hydrogen peroxide.

chem geek

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »
For asthma, that is not triggered or aggravated by chlorine but by chloramines, especially nitrogen trichloride.  Do you have a whole house or shower filter to remove chlorine and monochloramine from your water supply?  One can minimize this in a spa by starting out with 1-2 ppm FC when one gets into the spa and then doses with sufficient chlorine right after one gets out (and don't stick around to smell the spa for an hour or so).

Hydrogen peroxide is not an EPA approved disinfectant for spas (though it is approved for such use in Australia) and the 50 ppm level needed for proper disinfection can be irritating.

I think the best choice for a mostly non-halogen approach is the use of Nature2 Spa with non-chlorine shock (MPS).  It is an EPA approved disinfectant for spas and only needs some chlorine dosing once every week or so to keep the water clear.  Most of the time, including when you soak, there is no chlorine or bromine in the water.

red2play

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »
I just bought the Taylor 2106 kit.  You need a kit that will test for Calcium, ALK, etc and crazy as it sounds, most kits won't test for the aforementioned results.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42