What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question: Can am OZONE thing be added to a new hot tub when it is not included?  (Read 7616 times)

MargeeTx

We are looking at a hot tub....minimal bells/whistles....can the OZONE be added if not included?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:10:08 pm by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the spa.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on it though. There's no documented evidence ozone has any effect on spas.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

MargeeTx

Thanks Dr. Spa...I have read so many of your posts....I trust your judgement.

clover

Margee, there are two sides to every coin.  Dr. Spa does not have an ozonator on his spa, I do, and I have put them on more than 3,500 spas with great results.  The ozonator is well worth the money. 

That's two different opinions, so there is a fork in this road.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

d00nut

Spa with Ozone > Spa without Ozone

Like clover, we have put ozonators on plenty of spas and get fantastic results.  I personally wouldn't own a spa without an ozone.

chem geek

A properly sized ozonator will cut down chlorine usage about in half for spas used every day or two, but for spas used infrequently such as once a week they end up doubling chlorine demand.  The reason is that while ozone does oxidize bather waste, it also reacts with chlorine as well.  So an ozonator is reasonable for heavily used spas, but not for those used less frequently.  For bromine spas, it generates bromine from the bromide bank so lets one use less bromine regardless of the frequency of spa use.

clover

This subject matter will raise combative discussions by the chemical supporters, ::) as well as the knowledgeable ozone supporters that also know ozone to be very effective in treating the water as well.  There is no end to this discussion. :-\

If you are testing for the presence of chemical sanitizers, you must use chemicals to show up on the test strip. 

Ozone is a molecule of O3 that is looking for a like atom to take from another molecule and will then become 2 molecules of O2.  As a result, you have taken a like atom from mineral, nutrient, bacteria, or virus, thus Ozone is both a Sanitizer and an Oxidizer that does not appear on a chemical test strip as it is not a chemical.

The use of Ozone will produce sparkling clean and crystal clear water that has an "invitation to drink".  All of us here know Ozone is used for purification in many other different industries with superior results WHEN you can not use chemicals, like in food processing. 

Many retailers prefer to sell chemicals to the end user, as it produces after market sales, while Ozone reduces chemical consumption.  Outside of checking my pH and alkalinity regularly, I use nothing other than Ozone and my water is 2 years old.  The key is, IF your water is clean, clear and has that "invitation to drink", it is not broken and there is no need to dump the water and start fresh.  However, you do need to dump water that accumulates "un-dissolved solids" that are residual in chemicals.

IF ozone takes a like atom from another molecule, and it does, it renders that matter dead, and oxidizes mineral and nutrient matter that will be cleaned out by the filter.

Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
I'll add in that after my learning curve of my spa, I've had good luck with keeping my water clean.  Sometime in the last 9 years I'm guessing the ozonator quit working. I couldn't tell you when that was.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

I paid extra to have a coroner discharge (cd) ozonator fitted to my Jacuzzi J230CD. My water has always been crystal clear even when near a water change. I have never had cloudy water. As i have never used it without ozone I don't know if it would have been any different if i didn't have one.

Hot Spring Ace

We are looking at a hot tub....minimal bells/whistles....can the OZONE be added if not included?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Its very easy to add IF the spa comes "ozone ready", meaning no zone is installed by the manufacturer but the necessary plumbing is in place for the dealer or home owner to add an after market ozonator. Ask that simple question to the dealer.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
That was the best answer I have seen in this thread - ask the dealer if the tub you are buying is "Ozone Ready," and you will have your answer. HotSpring tubs are now listed as "Highlife Series," which are factory=equipped with ozone, and "Limelight series" which are "Ozone Ready."

And as to the efficacy: I have had many customers not notice when their ozone system quit working. Conversely, I have also had many who have noticed right away due to the jump in chlorine demand to keep the water sparkling.

I use ozone in conjunction with a mineral purifier and MPS, and chlorine once per month or when you entertain in the tub.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42