What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HL reading  (Read 26349 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
HL reading
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »
Just a quick question for you.  I have the arctic spas tundra and I opened the lid today to add my chemicals. The lid was open for an hour or so and I went to close the lid and have the reading HL.  I googled it and it said that it is the heater shutting off for hot temperatures.  But when I cranked the temperature to bypass this it still read HL.

So an arctic site that I went to said to trip the GFI breaker.  So I did that and waited 10 seconds.  I still have HL showing.  what else could be causing this issue???

I hope that I dont have another leak, It is far to cold outside to be taking the sides off.  

Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

HL reading
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: HL reading
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:11:57 pm »
ok so I went back outside after resetting the GFI.  

The tub shows 100 and the temperature was flashing.  I cant find anything on why the temperature would be flashing.  No more HL reading which is good.  I hit the temp up button showing the temp is set to 104 and then it went back to current temp of 100.

So I think this is what has happened, correct me if I am wrong.  

The tub was set to 104, I went out for a soak and the water was 105.  I kept the lid open during chemicals being added.  1 hour goes by the temperature drops to 100 when it should be 104.  This somehow triggers the HL reading which I think the tub went into panic mode thinking that it was broken down or something.

So then I reset the GFI and the tub shows current temp at 100 when it is set to be 104.  The only thing I can think of is that the temp was flashing as it was past the 4 degree thresh hold.  Now it is heating back up, I hope.

So does HL also come on when the temp drops 4 degrees????  This would all make sense

But what about the flashing temperature???

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:15:31 pm »
On my tub, the flashing indicates a power interruption.  My tub reverts to a default temp of 95 on power up.  With a short power interruption, the current temp flashes to let you know the power was out. Adjusting the temp set point stops the flashing.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Summitman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »
when the HL error code comes, on the heater is completely bypassed.  The breaker has to be reset to get rid of the error message.  More than likely after resetting the breaker the second time it got rid of the HL message and allowed you to see the actual temp of the water of 100 degrees.  It should heat back up to 104 after a short period of time.  If the temp was flashing on startup it means that a above average temp was sensed at the temperature probe.  You sh.ould keep an eye on the spa over the next couple days and if it pops up again then call the dealer for service.  It shouldnt have anything to do with a leak.  A simple power surge can cause this problem

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »
so HL is a power surge??  I have had no interruption in my hydro though??   So strange, anyway, I will keep a close eye on it.

thanks for the quick replies

Summitman

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:35:45 pm »
HL isnt always a power surge, its more of a protection device if the temp probe reads a high temp at the heating element.  It trips the HL error code to turn the heater off to prevent more heating.  If it disappears after resetting the breaker everything should be fine.  Just keep an eye on it and like I said if it pops up again call the dealer.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:39:00 pm »
and this is the strange this.  The tub temp actually dropped 5 degrees today.  If HL comes on when it gets to hot then something may infact be wrong.  My tub went the other way, the temperature dropped and the HL reading came on.  That causes me some concern because HL should not be coming on during temp drop, that is counter productive.

If the HL protects overheating, then when temperature is water drops drastically the HL should never come on.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:45 pm »
 Sometimes a bad temp sensor can cause a high limit, basically the high limit gets fooled from the temp sensor sending a inaccurate temp, if I remember right?  

Summitman

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:51:21 pm »
and this is the strange this.  The tub temp actually dropped 5 degrees today.  If HL comes on when it gets to hot then something may infact be wrong.  My tub went the other way, the temperature dropped and the HL reading came on.  That causes me some concern because HL should not be coming on during temp drop, that is counter productive.

If the HL protects overheating, then when temperature is water drops drastically the HL should never come on.  

the temp didnt drop until the HL light came on.  Once the HL light came on when you hadnt seen it yet the spa was not heating during that time.  Thats why the temp had dropped to 100 degrees

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:43 pm »
it is slowly making sense to me.  A few more hours and I should see clearly ;D

Water Boy

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:06:12 pm »
Bosco,

I agree with everything that Goarctic said. When you reset the GFI and the HL went away, it was nothing major at all. It can come on some times with any interruption of power. But, when the HL code comes on, the spa will quit heating until the GFI is reset. When you said that the temp was flashing when you reset it, that indicates it was some sort if interruption in power. It happens from time to time. During storms is when this happens the most. Hope all that helps.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:06:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42