What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cascade to clean filters?  (Read 28367 times)

Trenden

Cascade to clean filters?
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »
I’ve been using TSP to clean my spa filter which has worked fine w/o creating suds but I decided to try a product called “Power Soak Double Concentrated Filter Cleaner”.  I haven’t tried it yet but noticed the ingredients are listed as sodium carbonate, sodium silicate, and enzymes… which are the very same ingredients found in “Cascade Complete” dishwashing detergent… which happens to be MUCH less expensive.  Why is it that Spa specific products tend to be so much more expensive than their non-spa equivalents?  

Anyway, anyone use Cascade to clean their filters?

Hot Tub Forum

Cascade to clean filters?
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »

The_Pa._Lady

Re: Cascade to clean filters?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:45:53 pm »
I don't think I would use Cascade or any soap product.  I think it will cause a lot of suds/foam in your spa.  I use the spray on cleaner, and it works great.  But that's my opinion, I'm sure others who are more knowlegeable on this foum will post.

Good luck!

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:13:35 am »
Well, Cascade is a detergent.  Detergents are not supposed to be sudsy or foamy.  That is why you can use it in the dishwasher.  But, you never know.  You may still get something in the spa you don't want.  You can always be the guinea pig and let us know how it goes.  

I haven't ever heard specifically that you cannot use Cascade.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:00:31 am »
From Unicel;

For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) once cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:57:15 am »
There you go.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Cyn

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:29:27 am »
And to answer your question about why spa products are so much more expensive than their non-spa equivalent...because the spa industry can get more $$ for their products.  I have always, always wondered why women's clothes are so much more expensive than men's.  If you compare "golf clothes" you will find a huge difference in pricing.  And yet the men's polo shirt is twice the size of a women's shirt.  Annoying is not the word for it.  Sorry, a pet peeve...  

Helios

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 10:29:13 am »
From Unicel;

For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (over night is more effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) once cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

I just use unscented "Electrasol" powder that has no additives like jet-dry, lemon or orange in it.
“Stupidity is not a crime…so you’re free to go”

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:20:17 pm »
Why does Hot Springs tell you to use the dish washer to clean their TriX filters... but not to use detergent? :-/

longshot

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:25 pm »
I've been using Cascade liquid (big green bottle) all year on my filter (Unicel) and it has worked fine.  We give it a good rinse in the bath tub after soaking it overnight, and have had no sudsing issues with it at all.

As someone else posted above, Unicel says right on their website to use this as an alternative to TSP.  Go for it!

Doobiewah

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:19:17 am »
Why does Hot Springs tell you to use the dish washer to clean their TriX filters... but not to use detergent? :-/

My dealer said it would break down the filter material and render it less effective....said the extra chemicals put in it to deale with sheeting, 'sparkle', etc. were the big problem.

She then sold me some filter soak to use prior to putting them into the dishwasher.  She is pretty straight forward, tho, so I trust her to not tell me something that is "out of left field".  Made sense to me.

The Doob

96SC

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:15 am »
When you clean your filters (not rinse off) do you have an extra set that you switch out as you clean the set that was in use?  Do you have one extra filter and rotate them while cleaning one at a time or do you clean one filter and let the spa run with one less?
 :-/

As always thanks
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Buckeye Gal

• Proud Cameo Owner
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 03:34:33 pm »
I've heard of putting your filters in the dishwaher - but do you REALLY want to do that -- Yuck. . . . not me -- I hose them off at a carwash or  :-[ :-[soak them the old fashioned way. .

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 04:36:29 pm »
 Why is it that Spa specific products tend to be so much more expensive than their non-spa equivalents?  

I have long ago figured out that I don't want to build and sell products that people NEED, I want to build and sell products that people WANT.  The margins are 3x!  My home based business is proof of that!  And I am sure Term would agree when it comes to selling spas.  When people are passionate about a product they will spend more!

Steven-

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 04:36:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42