What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance FLO error....  (Read 39004 times)

62VW

Sundance FLO error....
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:08 pm »
My 3 month old Sundance Cameo has a flo error flashing on the main control board. This is the second time since the late August delivery that this has happened :( . The first time the dealer said to turn off the power and remove the filter, turn power back on and see if the flo error still flashed. It didn't so they said to bring in the filter and they would give me a new one.  The new filter worked fine for a little over a month and then the flo error appeared again last weekend. I also noticed the ozone indicator on the control board would go on and off eratically. To me, the filter looks fine so this flo error thing is confusing. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Sundance spa?  The dealer is comming out next week so the spa will have some down time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.....

-62VW

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance FLO error....
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:08 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Sundance FLO error....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:18:27 pm »
That message usually means that there's an interuption in the water flow from a dirty filter, an air lock at the pump intake, or a bad flow switch.

It doesn't sound like it's the filter since it's brand new. So my guess is that there's an air lock. I think the best way to get it "freed up" is to remove the filter that's in conjuction with the circulation pump, then position a garden hose over the port in the footwell where the heated water and ozone come out, then turn water on for about a minute to try and push the air out.

If that still doesn't work, it might be the flow switch and should be covered under warranty.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:28:53 pm by WHY_NOT »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:22:43 pm »
Well, you have a throw away filter that, according to owner's manual, must be replaced every 6 months [glow]or earlier if necessary.[/glow]. Under Attention New Spa Owner!  2007 880 Series Owners manual.

Maybe your spa is working properly.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:33 pm »
He's only had the filter for a month. There's no way it got that dirty.

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:08:43 pm »
heavy usage, oils lotions can easily clog up a fibre filter inside a month  Ive seen it.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »
heavy usage, oils lotions can easily clog up a fibre filter inside a month  Ive seen it.
Wow, I don't know how the disposable filter manufacturers stay in business.

62VW

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:47:31 pm »
Thanks Dan and Chad for your help. Since the new filter change, the spa has had minimal use......maybe 7-10 soaks. with just the two of us.  No heavy oil useage either.  I looked at the filter today and it looks as good as when I put it in.

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:07:25 pm »
I have an '07 Optima by Sundance.  I have seen the "FLO" error message a few times.  I loosened the filter nut slightly and rotated the filter about 90 degrees and tighten the nut until is was just barely snug.  This fixed the problem each time.  Both times it happened with all pumps on.  I don't know what caused it but I intend to ask the dealer about it.   It could be a dirty filter.  We have had the tub about 11 weeks.  We have used it A LOT.  The water is still very clear and chemicals are easy to keep balanced (thanks to the great advice I got from this forum).   Until water quality starts to deteriorate, I don't intend to change out filter.  
"Growing older but not up..."

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 06:58:27 am »
Did you try the spa without the filter again?  That is the first thing to do always.  If the spa works fine without the filter...the problem is with the filter.  If you still get the flow error without the filter, it will be something with the spa, most likely a flow switch.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 07:49:28 am »
Tony is absolutely correct.  Fist thing to suspect is the filter.  

In this case, if the FLO error is still there after you remove the filter, power off the spa, let it set for about 20 or 30 minutes, then power back up.  If the FLO error is still there, remove the service panel, and find the flow switch.  Gently tap it a couple times with the handle of a screwdriver or something similar.  If it's the flow switch, that may free it up.  It will also pinpoint the problem.  

That happened to me one time several years ago- and tapping the switch worked, and it been fine ever since.
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 06:41:28 pm »
Another thing to check....there is a nylon filter sock in the filter area that can get sucked down into one of the therapy pumps.  I don't have first hand knowlege of this situation as my SD is an older style but I have seen posts on the forums regarding this.  These could cause a flow error.  Check to see that it is still there.

62VW

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 07:27:24 pm »
After removing the filter, I turned the power back on and let the tub run for about an hour.  No FLO error signal, just a flashing COOL and the temperature which is normal according to the manual.  So if I knew these filters longevity was so short lived, I probably would have chosen a different manufacturer.  The manual does say to replace filter every six months or as needed, but having to change two filters within two and a half months seems excessive. I have left a message for the service tech from the company I bought the spa from, so hopefully I will get to speak to him on Monday....Thanks to all who have offered advice.

-62VW

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 03:40:08 am »
After removing the filter, I turned the power back on and let the tub run for about an hour.  No FLO error signal, just a flashing COOL and the temperature which is normal according to the manual.  So if I knew these filters longevity was so short lived, I probably would have chosen a different manufacturer.  The manual does say to replace filter every six months or as needed, but having to change two filters within two and a half months seems excessive. I have left a message for the service tech from the company I bought the spa from, so hopefully I will get to speak to him on Monday....Thanks to all who have offered advice.

-62VW

The filters can and do last for six months.  Something in the water is plugging the filter or you've gotten a couple of bad filters.  Do you have the white filters or the blue filters?  If it continues to be an issue you can always go to a pleated filter that can be cleaned and/or rinsed.

Ride

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 08:14:22 pm »
Hi,

One other tip that worked for me on my Sundance Optima from 2007...the circulation pump had stopped, the tub was emitting a small electric buzzing sound, and I had the "Flo" error. My fix:

1)identify the smaller of the two pumps on the right side of the tub (that's the circ pump)
2)remove the small white cap at the center of the motor
3)turn the center spool using a large, standard screwdriver

In my case that got the motor started again. TBD how long the motor holds out and whether it's just temporary, but at least it's progress.

Snowbird72

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:36:09 am »

-62VW

I am a new sundance spa owner having the exact same problem you had noted back in 2007. I'm just wondering if your problems were ever rectified or how you eventually handled your situation.

I am growing increasingly frustrated as well and can sympathize with what you dealt with when you were most excited to be a new spa owner. I have had many nights of enjoyment but also many days of frustration with these flo error codes and replacing the filters three times in five months.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:36:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42