What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PH / ALK - Chem Problems  (Read 1913 times)

skylark

PH / ALK - Chem Problems
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:31:10 pm »

Hi

Water balancing is proving to be a frustrating challange. I am a novice and have a dimension one chairman II

My tap water has a PH of 7.7 and alk of 60.
What can I use to raise alk but not PH when filling tub?

Water has now been in tub around 21/2 months , is hazy, and alk is 190! I have been putting in Baqua Spa PH up (sodium carbonate)  occasionally as needed but hadn't been checking ALK. This stuff must be also increasing the alk?

How do I independantly raise or lower PH or Alk without effecting the other?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Hot Tub Forum

PH / ALK - Chem Problems
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:31:10 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: PH / ALK - Chem Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:42:04 pm »
Next time try adding sodium bicarbonate to your tap water.  It should bump your alkalinity up.  It could slightly raise your Ph, too, but only a bit.  

Sodium bicabonate is packaged as ALK Increaser, but you can use plain old baking soda if you want.  Same exact thing.
Brewman

Spa_hottie

• HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:42:58 pm »
BaqauSpa makes a Total Alk. Increaser but no decreaser, so you would need to lower your Alk. with PH decreaser.  Depending on how many gallons you have you would add 4 oz. of ph Decreaser for 300 to bring it down 40 ppm.  You will have to ignore the ph level for about 24-48 hours because it will fluctuate but that should fix the Alk. problem then you can adjust your Ph if needed. ;)
GO BLUE!

skylark

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:48:44 pm »
Thank you both so much for your advice. I'll give it a try!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 02:01:29 pm »
BaqauSpa makes a Total Alk. Increaser but no decreaser, so you would need to lower your Alk. with PH decreaser.  Depending on how many gallons you have you would add 4 oz. of ph Decreaser for 300 to bring it down 40 ppm.  You will have to ignore the ph level for about 24-48 hours because it will fluctuate but that should fix the Alk. problem then you can adjust your Ph if needed. ;)

Baqua Spa Total Alkalinity Increaser is sodium hydorgen carbonate, the same as sodium bicarb or baking soda.  It will raise pH along with TA.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 02:01:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42