What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My First 12º F Soak!!!  (Read 2881 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
My First 12º F Soak!!!
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:39:23 pm »
OK, I've had my tub for about a year and a half and was chicken last year to go out in really cold weather (Actually I forget is we got really cold weather here in Jersey). I did 20's but that was cold enough. Well tonight I went out into the frigid 12º and it was GREAT.

Tub was at 102 when I got in and about 20 minutes later it was at 101 with the heater on. It was a little surreal as the cover was as stiff as a board, the lifter was groaning and the thin layer of ice that Glastron mentioned in his post was under my cover too. Wherever water misted onto the tub and cover there was a thin layer of ice, my thermal blanket was bent around and frozen to the cover. I know that at that temp everything freezes quickly but I've never witnessed it before ... even my sandals were freezing to the deck as I removed my suit.

My only complaint is that my head was slightly cold but I attribute that to having a buzz cut.

My wife thought I was nuts!!! I can't wait to go out there in colder temps ... and I want to go out there in SNOW.

Hot Tub Forum

My First 12º F Soak!!!
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:39:23 pm »

Bama

Re: My First 12º F Soak!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:29:23 am »
Vinny,

I agree with your wife...12 degrees?  That is wacky! :o :o
To keep your head warm, why not wear a wool tobogan?  
Even though it makes me look like a tool, I wear it anyway in cold weather.
But, 12 degrees...?  Won't that freeze your brain fluids? :o

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 05:36:00 am »
why not wears a wool tobogan?  

I told you not to tell anybody. :-[

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 05:40:57 am »
OK, I've had my tub for about a year and a half and was chicken last year to go out in really cold weather (Actually I forget is we got really cold weather here in Jersey). I did 20's but that was cold enough. Well tonight I went out into the frigid 12º and it was GREAT.

Tub was at 102 when I got in and about 20 minutes later it was at 101 with the heater on. It was a little surreal as the cover was as stiff as a board, the lifter was groaning and the thin layer of ice that Glastron mentioned in his post was under my cover too. Wherever water misted onto the tub and cover there was a thin layer of ice, my thermal blanket was bent around and frozen to the cover. I know that at that temp everything freezes quickly but I've never witnessed it before ... even my sandals were freezing to the deck as I removed my suit.

My only complaint is that my head was slightly cold but I attribute that to having a buzz cut.

My wife thought I was nuts!!! I can't wait to go out there in colder temps ... and I want to go out there in SNOW.
12 F
That's right at my favorite temp to soak at too as long as the winds are calm. :)

It's currently 10 here with about 3/4'' of snow.  :P
Hopefully it comes your way. :D

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:09:22 am »
[

Well tonight I went out into the frigid 12º and it was GREAT.

Vinny,
A cool 6 degrees last night with wind chill showing a negative 15 degrees. The cold isn't bad but the wind cuts right thru. Always walk the dog right after getting out. Doesn't seem as cold after getting out soaking. (For me anyways not the dog) ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:56 am »
I set a new record for myself around 10pm last night at 3F.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:43:13 am »

That is tooooo cold for me, I'd be afraid of getting sick.  That wouldn't be worth the soak.  I'll just wait for a bit warmer temps.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 11:16:30 am »
I tubbed this morning at 42 degrees and watched the sun come up.  It was great.  Only problem was the tub was set at 99 (it was mid 80's here the past few days and I was soaking during the day.... forgot to turn it back up).  The temp was 98 when I got out and it was the longest 30 seconds getting out of the tub and putting my robe on.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:26:45 am »
That is tooooo cold for me, I'd be afraid of getting sick.  That wouldn't be worth the soak.  I'll just wait for a bit warmer temps.

What part of PA are you from?  As a native Pennsylvanian, you bring great shame to us all!   ;)  You must be from SE PA, not like us rugged NWPAers.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

neocacher

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:41:30 am »
3 days ago i took a soak in -5 F  , which was the high temp of the day here in S. Dakota.  That is my record so far this year.

Neo

Reese

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 01:09:19 pm »
My wife and I got up early yesterday to be able to soak at -17F:o, likely the coldest night of the year in the Twin Cities.  Light winds made it tolerable.  She wore a ski hat, which developed a light covering of frost.  I didn't, and ran my wet fingers through my hair, which froze in about a minute.  My can of soda started to get slushy after 10 minutes, and had to be warmed in the tub.

This morning the temp was -3 with light snow, on its way up to +7, a piece of cake.  A few years ago, we used the tub at -30F! :o :o  That required a very quick dash from the house to the tub (only 5 feet) along with a hat for me as well, but otherwise wasn't bad.  As others have stated, IMO winds are the determining factor for enjoyment, not temp.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:10:19 pm by Reese »

dunerunner25

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 01:17:58 pm »
Guess the temp in Cali yesterday...84 deg.  Sooooo nice!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »
I set a new record for myself around 10pm last night at 3F.
You got me beat by 1 degree. :'(
It was 4 the other morning and that was the coldest it's been since I've owned my tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42