What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question on chems  (Read 2634 times)

davidg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question on chems
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:35:17 am »
We've had our spa (Sundance Bahia) for 2 months now and I've used the Baqua chemicals provided by the Sundance dealer.  I've had no problems and the various levels are usually in line, so I just add the recommended weekly amounts.

I've read various posts regarding chemicals and most people don't seem to use BaquaSpa.  I was just wondering why.  Is there something I need to watch out for?  Are the other chems out there easier?  cleaner?  What are some of the problems former users had?
Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Question on chems
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:35:17 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Question on chems
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 04:18:54 am »
We've had our spa (Sundance Bahia) for 2 months now and I've used the Baqua chemicals provided by the Sundance dealer.  I've had no problems and the various levels are usually in line, so I just add the recommended weekly amounts.

I've read various posts regarding chemicals and most people don't seem to use BaquaSpa.  I was just wondering why.  Is there something I need to watch out for?  Are the other chems out there easier?  cleaner?  What are some of the problems former users had?
Thanks.

I am not a former user but, any non chlorine product in my opinion is suspect in it's ability to KILL bacteria. I have seen storys on here of people switching because of a brown gunky ring around the water line and the problem of not being able to keep the water crystal clear. Expense is another reason, 5# of chlorine is 25 bucks and will last almost 2 years.

But if a product is working for you why not keep using it. Seems like your having good luck with it.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:01:41 am »
I am a former Bauqa user.  

I switched for several reasons:

1-  The stuff was expensive
2-  Only available at certain dealers
3-  Water got fizzy and made us cough- this is the main reason we bailed.
4-  We had the brown goo ring- it did gradually disappear after several months,
      though.
5-  I think it was attacking the plastic lens on our LED light.
6-  Water was not crystal clear like it is with dichlor.  

(Feels like I'm giving testimony at a "Sanitizers Anonymous" meeting)

Brewman

RobRoy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:02:12 pm »
Baqua is expensive and I also heard that it can cause some problems with pump seals, eats at them. I prefer di-chlor.

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 03:11:04 pm »
Baquaspa is a great product for the right customer. I moved to a dealer in Texas and we dont sell Baquaspa, but I sold it in Washington. About a 3rd of our customers were on it and loved it.
It is more expensive, it can have more waterline scum, and if you have Lexane (older style of plastic still used on some spas) jets or light lense it can cause them to be brittle and break. The Baqua cough is usually the result of indoor spas on Baquaspa. I dont reccomend it indoors. This happens as dead bacteria is in the water that is evaporating. Without enough offgas it can be irritating to your thoat. It is not harful but annoying.
I reccomend this product if you don't like chlorine or want a little easier chem application. For the most part its just once a week. Like anything though maintenance becomes higher if you dont keep up on it.
Sounds like a big disclaimer. If you like it use it, it does work.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:12:51 pm »
The issues of brown goo and fizzy water are usually issues of dealer education.

It is EPA approved and, because of continual residual, is more effective at killing chlorine.

Cost is more, when I have calculated, typically 10-20% more.

Benefits are softer water, easier on hair, skin and bathing suits.

Does not have any impact on quality spas using quality plastics and seals.  It is approved by Sundance and Hot Spring.

I would guess about 30% of our customers use BaquaSpa, 60% use AG+ (Hot Springs Nature2) and 10% other systems.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:26:48 pm »
And its not heat disapated like chlorine. So theoretically if there werent any contaminents it would stay in there FOREVERRRR!!!!!!! :D

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 03:32:06 pm »
And its not heat disapated like chlorine. So theoretically if there werent any contaminents it would stay in there FOREVERRRR!!!!!!! :D

Chlorine isn't compromised by heat until way above hot tub temps.  Chlorine is actually more effective in warm temps.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »

Chlorine isn't compromised by heat until way above hot tub temps.  Chlorine is actually more effective in warm temps.
Chlorine is compromised by hot tub temps.  Bromine is not.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 03:36:13 pm »
Chlorine is compromised by hot tub temps.  Bromine is not.

Chlorine is not compromised by hot tub temps.  Chlorine does not start to lose effectiveness until somewhere in the 130 degree range and is most effective in killing organisms in water at about 115 degrees.

Reese

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 03:52:14 pm »
Chlorine is not compromised by hot tub temps.  Chlorine does not start to lose effectiveness until somewhere in the 130 degree range and is most effective in killing organisms in water at about 115 degrees.
I'm thinking you are both right, but on different tangents.  IMO, chlorine is more effective at high temps, but also dissipates quicker. 8-)

davidg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:11:12 pm »
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I haven't noticed any cough whatsoever, but maybe because it's outdoors.  
I had a small scum line, but it seems to not be as much an issue as it was early on.
The dealer gives us 20% on any purchases (off their retail price of course) and I have nothing to compare the cost to, so for now it works out.  I'm sure it's not the cheapest way to go though.
I love the once a week maintenance and the no chlorine feel or smell.

Thanks again, we'll see in a few months if I'm still on it or have switched.  I'd post a pic, but cannot figure out how.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:11:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42