What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pucks or Powder??  (Read 6420 times)

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
Pucks or Powder??
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:27:28 pm »
My spa arrived today!!!  Included in the deal was a chemical kit.  I asked them to start me off with chlorine.   They sent me chlorine pucks and a dispenser amongst a bunch of other stuff.  I assumed they were going to send powder.  Should I stick with the pucks or exchange for powder?  Is there a advantage of one over the other?  

Hot Tub Forum

Pucks or Powder??
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:27:28 pm »

clover

Re: Pucks or Powder??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:43:38 pm »
You asked, you got.  It was in the "deal".  Now is not the time to diferentiate between pucks or powder, you should have specified that as well.  Chlorine is a sanitizer and there are 5 different kinds.

Pucks are "tri chlor" and "tri-chlor" IS chlorine, but it is also a no-no in Hot Tubs (it's all about pH).  Powder is "di-chlor" and is recommended for Hot tubs (pH netural).

Because they are both "sanitizers", there should be no problem, but for the long term, I would recommend "di-chlor" (powder).

Did you get ozone?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:19:28 pm »
Yes clover, I got ozone.  

They sent in the package "SpaGuard Smart Tabs for Hot tubs and Spas" .   Gaurantee Trichloro S-Triazinetrione 97.5%...  I assume that's tri chlor??  If it's a no no why does it say it's for hot tubs.  Just trying to understand all of this stuff. :)

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:24:10 pm »
Better read your warranty carefully, BEFORE, using the pucks.  Some warranties say that the warranty would be void if trichlor is used.  Just a thought.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:23:36 am »
Nope!

I do not know of Dichlor comming in puck form.  Check and make sure you got Dichlor, nor Tri Chlor. What does the lable say? AS far as chlorine is concerend, Hot tubs require DICHLOR, not Trichlor.

Slim Chance, you got swimming pool chlorine. Send it back. Ask for Dichlor.

Clover you wrote:
You asked, you got.  It was in the "deal".  Now is not the time to diferentiate between pucks or powder, you should have specified that as well.  Chlorine is a sanitizer and there are 5 different kinds.

Pucks are "tri chlor" and "tri-chlor" IS chlorine, but it is also a no-no in Hot Tubs (it's all about pH).  Powder is "di-chlor" and is recommended for Hot tubs (pH netural).

While true, Tri Chlor is chlorine, it is for swimming pools and is not effective in the higher temps of a hot tub.  It's not "the deal" if the dealer gave you Trichlor, he either made a mistake or didn't know any better.      It wont sanitize the tub effectively  Slimchance needs to ensure he's using the correct chemicals. I'm not sure of the ramifications on the warrenty, but he could jepordize his health.   The dealer should make sure a new users knows the basics of the tub and at the very least sell them the correct product.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:32:53 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:32:28 am »
Slimchance, just talk to your dealer and let him know you would rather switch to powder dichlor. If you have not used any of the product it should not be a big deal. If everyone was as smart as clover we would get exactly evrything right at the beginning of the deal. Unless clover is your dealer in disguise it should not be a problem for any party concerned.

Mr_Burns

• Nuclear Power is Safe, Clean and Reliable.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:51:49 am »

Because they are both "sanitizers", there should be no problem, but for the long term, I would recommend "di-chlor" (powder).

Did you get ozone?

Ayup! kind of like the time I ordered a chicken dinner at Bickfords and they didn't cook it! Man, was I stupid. I should have said "I would like the chicken dinner, cooked, and served on a plate. I would also like a knife and a fork and maybe one of dem napkin things too." I'm just glad the cook didn't punch me. He just called me a loser and let it go at that.  I tell you what, shopping and buying stuff sure is tricky when you deal with super duper dealers.

My wife,  Bertha just bought herself a brand new used Geo. Dat dealer told her he'd give her free gas. We didn't know was talking bout flatulance! Haw! Oh boy howdy. We should have asked for gasoline, unleaded 97% octane.
We laughed about that for days! Man. What a hoot.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 11:31:43 am »
Trichloro tabs will damage your cover, pillows, lungs, and may void your warranty.

They CAN be used in spas, but only open ones - usually those are in-ground type. The odd thing is, the in-ground type are usually heated with a gas-fired boiler, and the Trichloro is hard on THOSE....

So run, do not walk - or should I say "Drive fast" back to your dealer and switch for Dichlor.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 07:00:40 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone...  Clearly someone grabbed the wrong bottle.  I'll return it tomorrow and ask for Di-Chlor! ::)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 07:00:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42