What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone and my spa blanket  (Read 4658 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Ozone and my spa blanket
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:28:14 am »
I have a question...after reading and understanding more about ozone..I was wondering about the life of my spa blanket?  I bought it to help retain the heat in my tub, but I also understand that it offers extra protection of my cover. If ozone degrades the headrests..then how long can I expect my closed cell blanket to last?
Is the material in the spa blanket more sensitive to chemical off gassing than ozone? Hubby and I both agree that the spa blanket is a real good thing, my cover doesn't even get wet...but I am wondering is that something that I will replace yearly, or more often?
My blanket is 3 months old and so far it appears to look just like new  ;),
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone and my spa blanket
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:28:14 am »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Ozone and my spa blanket
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:41:37 am »
Yes you will have to replace it eventually, but its better to replace a $20 blanket then a $500 cover.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:45:33 am »
I was just wondering the typical life of a spa blanket in a tub with ozone...I think I paid about $80.00 for my blanket. I know it is helping to retain the heat in the tub so I would replace it.  I just didn't know how long they typically last. :-/

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:06:46 am »
I don't iether. Sounds like yours is more expensive then the buble type, so it might last longer.

Razzman

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:21:56 pm »
Being new to spas I'm i the dark on this one. Are spa blankets recommended? Are ther any down sides to having one on the spa under the cover?

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:33:03 pm »
I do not think there are any down sides. Just the pain of having to take it out every time (which there are some solutions to (Velcro, etc.).

The plus sides are protecting your cover underside from chemicals and ozone degradation, as well as some possible energy savings during winter if you live in a cold climate.

You know what they say - an ounce of prevention.....

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 03:32:35 pm »
I will post my solution to blanket removal. I made a strap that allows the blanket to be removed using the same clips that hold down the spa cover. I have been using it for several weeks now and it works great. It means an extra manipulation when removing the cover, but I didn't have to punch holes in my cover (and void my warranty)  to attach the spa leash.  I will post the pics later today  ;)
Boni

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 03:48:41 pm »
That would be great.

Razzman

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 03:58:32 pm »
Cool, I just ordered a blanket.  ;)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
[URL=http://imageshackRe: Ozone and my spa blanket
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 04:22:33 pm »
Here it is:
I bought a spa blanket leash but didn't want to punch holes in my cover. So I bought more webbing material and made straps that attach two different spots in the blanket, so the blanket is not stressed in just one area. I attached them with plastic gromets. some of these came in the spa leash that I bought with my blanket.

I used high temp hot glue to attach the female cover clip to my webbing.
The extra manipulation is that after you break the seal on the cover, you reach under and take that outside cover clip and clip it to the blanket clip. It only takes a couple of extra seconds to do.

I also put two additional straps on the other side of the blanket and tied knots on the ends so that the blanket would lay tight against the spa cover and not "hang" over the back two seats and the waterfall. We actually detach those straps and use the blanket as a tent when it is pouring rain! ;)

We really think the spa blanket is a good thing. I read an article that said a closed cell blanket adds about 6 or 7 "R factors to the cover insulation in additon to protecting it from chemical degradation.  I just hope the ozone doesn't eat mine up any time soon...

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 04:25:49 pm »
So in order to lock the tub you just unclick the blanket once the cover is closed and throw the loose straps under the cover?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:51:55 pm by cooltoy2000 »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 04:35:09 pm »
 when we are ready to re-cover the spa, we unclip the straps first and let the blanket cover the spa. So I guess that means 2 extra manipulations...but since my husband hasn't complained at all and he thinks it is a great idea, I will say the extra manipulation is worth it. Like I said, I didn't want to punch a hole in my cover and without this contraption, the spa blanket tends to slip off my cover in the upright position. I don't know how this would work with other cover lifters, I have a
Covermate III and my tub is a Marquis Epic. I am sure you could innovate something similar to work on other covers and lifters. ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:35:46 pm by Bonibelle »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 04:55:19 pm »
Nice job.

My cover already has two holes in it. They were placed there by the manufacturer of the cover (has metal rings around the holes), so I doubt that punching two more holes would mater much in my case, but I would feel the same way you do if I did not have the holes.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 04:56:54 pm »
On another topic. I noticed you cut your blanket to the shape of your cover, not the shape of your spa. What was your thinking behind that?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:26:22 pm »
The manufacturer has those holes to keep the cover from becoming water logged, it is a vent type thing. The foam that is the core of your cover, is protected in another cover to prevent the water from building up and making the cover so heavy and water laden that it would have no insulating value. You can punch additional holes in your cover, and if you do it carefully, you won't damage the covering of the foam. I just didn't feel confident about doing that. Additionally, it would void my warranty. I didn't want to create a problem while trying to solve one. Lots of folks on here are perfectly comfortable with the spa leash set up the way it is intended. I just found an alternate way and it works for me..

I asked on here about how to cut the blanket. I thought initially that it belongs just on top of the water, but my husband and I decided that it didn't matter, and if we put it on the top of the spa right inside of the lip, it would better protect the cover. I don't know if that is right or wrong, but I can tell you my cover is completely dry when we open the tub. I guess the question is...does it insulate better as an addition to the cover or as an immediate cover on the water with the air space between the two....VINNY...I'v got your next experiment... ;D ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:26:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42