What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Technology  (Read 14942 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: Cover Technology
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2006, 12:38:21 pm »
No where in this statement did you mention the straps pulled out. If the straps pulled out than they will replace it for you, but being that you also have a broke core that you broke you should be honest and except some responsibility of the cost. Maybe Marquis good enough to cover it all. If they do let us know.

Gary,
I see your concern and no, I'm not trying to be dishonest about it. You're right, in my post of June 20th, 2006, 8:01am, I did not mention the strap pulling out. That wasn't the topic - there was no point in mentioning it then because I was warning Bonibelle that the cover is not as strong as advertised and she may want to be careful about getting on top of it. It was not my intent to make a list of my cover problems. I do mention the strap problem in my other post of June 20th, 2006, 8:44pm, later that day.
Two separate, unrelated problems, OK?

And again, the cover was advertised by the dealer to be able to hold weight. In fact, he made it a point to demonstrate it to me by walking on the display cover. He saw me face to face and never said, "Hey! You know, you're heavier than I am so you may not want to do that."  I believed him when he said I could get on top of it and that's my mistake. It won't happen again. All I wanted to do was clean the cover.
Neither Marquis or my dealer should be telling people walking on the cover is acceptable and then not take responsibility when the customer finds it "ain't necessarily so".

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2006, 12:38:21 pm »

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 02:21:15 pm »
Speaking of covers and bottoms, I just saw a TV ad for a local Arctic dealer where like the whole staff (6 or 8 people) stood on the cover together, while it was on a tub, in order to demonstrate its load bearing capacity.  Outdoors here in PA in the winter some load bearing is good to hold the snow without collapsing, but seriously how does holding an elephant help me in my daily usage?

Secondly, Arctic makes a synthetic bottom with moulded-in "feet" or pads that they claim is nearly indestructable and needs no pad or base, you can set on dirt if you like.

Thirdly, a denser foam for a cover does not necessarily mean a more heat retentive cover.  Air in the foam void space is what insulates, just like you're not supposed to compact fiberglass insulation because it pushes out the air and ruins it's ability to insulate.  I'm not in the cover industry but I suppose a "heavier" foam (like 2# vs. 1#) gives you better load bearing capacity, maybe less water logging (less void space), and equal to or worse insulation.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2006, 02:36:20 pm »
I'm not sure I'd even get too worried about snow accumulation.  That type of weight is spread out pretty evenly across the whole cover, vs standing on one isolated spot, which concentrates a lot of weight over a small area.  
 Maybe if a couple feet of wet heavy snow fell on the cover, but normally we don't get that, and I'd be out there pretty quick shoveling an access path to the spa so we could use it- winter has some of the best tubbing opportunities.  
Brewman

MarKee

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2006, 02:39:23 pm »
Bobibelle:  The Epic has hard foam that goes in between the base and the bottom of the shell.  It also has Low-E wrap that blankets the whole bottom of the spa.  The Low-E wrap is a super insulator that is also wrapped around the spa underneath the siding.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2006, 03:48:58 pm »
Thanks Markee...I have been wondering for a while about how the bottom was insulated.  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2006, 04:57:26 pm »
Bonibelle, your Marquis spa does have insulation under the spa.  There is "low-e" wrap beneath the foam insulation under your spa's footwell.  When Marquis had their spa's energy efficiency tested, they were only losing heat at 2 points on the entire spa - under the footwell and across the center of the spa cover (where it hinges).  They corrected both and entirely eliminated the heat loss (as long as the cover is closed).  They added the "low-e" under the bottom of the spa and developed the Linnear Heat Seal for the center of the cover.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2006, 10:00:29 pm »
Thanks DPS, that makes me feel better about my tub. I am a bit  obsessed with energy lately and knowing my tub is not causing me extra energy usage make me feel much better. I am running in economy mode right now and with my filtration cycles at only 1 hour each(2X daily), and a clean cycle at 1 hour, I have been able to maintain crystal clear water...in spite of kids and hubby bouncing between the pool and tub on a daily basis!
I was really impressed that the tub saved my settings after a long power outtage last night...I only needed to reset the clock.. ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tom

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2006, 06:31:48 pm »
Is there anything better coming down the line for cover technology? Since there are no Arctic dealers near me, I've not seen one of their's.

We hope you can check one out some time soon.

What we have now, vinyl with foam and plastic, seems way too fragile and expensive to replace.

We think so, too, which is why Arctic moulds the entire foam core around a steel reinforcement in the exact shape of the spa.  We no longer use plastic  (polyethylene) envelopes, having replaced them with a tougher material.  

The marine grade vinyl that is used on good-quality covers (of sufficient thickness and properly sewn) seems to make a fairly sturdy outer coating (aside from suction problems. :)  ).

Interesting thread and solid, professional discussion.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2006, 06:45:07 pm »
That's the one I was thinking of.

Mo(u)lded around a steel reinforcement. Sounds good: hows the weight?

???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

anne

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 10:59:58 pm »
That's the one I was thinking of.

Mo(u)lded around a steel reinforcement. Sounds good: hows the weight?

???

It is heavy. This is good and bad: I think it insulates really well, but I guess I cannot compare to other brands, this being my first tub. I am 5'4" and about 110lb, and I can manage it, but it takes a little effort. My only concern is that if someone threw it open without consideration for the wimpy covermateI, I think either the cover lifter would break or the screws would pull out of the skirt. I am a bit worried about that, but I may just be paranoid.

On a side note here, it was 105 deg here today, and I think the cover kept my tub cool, since the water is at 101, set to be at 100, with no filter cycles skipped, I think.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 10:59:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42