What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stabilizer?  (Read 29139 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Stabilizer?
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:09:48 am »
What can I use as a 'stabilizer' for my hot tub?  The problem is that the nearest hot tub dealer is quit some distance away.  I noted that 'chemically' it is called cyanuric acid (Sp).... My stabilizer test strip shows that it is low which most likely accounts for the rapid flucuations in Ph... I went to walmart (close by) and they don't carry anything like a 'stabilizer'.  Its my understanding that the stabilizer is critical to keep the ph balanced and alkalinity in good shape... So do I need to run all over God's creation for the stuff?

Hot Tub Forum

Stabilizer?
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:09:48 am »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Stabilizer?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:19:49 am »
The cyanuric acid helps stabalize your chlorine.  Your Total Alkalynity helps stablize your pH.  Your pH helps your chlorine be more effective.  Cyanuric acid is a part of the dichlor chlorine you are adding.   You want it to be low on the test strip.  If you begin having a hard time getting a good chlorine reading and you notice your cyanuric acid level is high, then it is time to change the water.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 11:22:06 am »
Cyanuric acid's purpose is to help prevent sunlight from depleting chlorine. If you keep your spa covered, as most people do, there isn't a need for it.

Excessively high levels, reduce chlorine's effectiveness.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:31:24 am »
I am using BROMINE, not dichlor etc. My stabilizer level does read 'low'.... SO DON'T MESS WITH IT?  And yes, I keep it covered.  Its just that I was hoping that it would help with water clarity and an increasing amount of 'foam'... I guess I don't understand because all the other levels (total bromine, Alkalitiy, Ph. etc are all within range.  I just don't want to 'keep adding chemicals' (like water clarifier, de-foamer etc.

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:52:12 am »
Ignore that part of your test strips.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:52:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42