What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Weekly Chem. Treatment?  (Read 2535 times)

Crash

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Weekly Chem. Treatment?
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:50:04 pm »
Hello to all.  My name is Ed and I’ve been visiting the forum for quite awhile.  A ton of good information.  My hot tub was 6 years coming.  A retirement present for my self.  24 years USAF.  Anyway I grew up in the world that if you didn’t have anything productive to say keep your mouth shut.  I guess that’s why I haven’t been active in the forum – enjoying the reading immensely though.  The Tub was delivered in Oct. and after much experimentation I have a handle on the “Timothy Leary” mix.

Anyway, I’ve had my battles with water quality and now have a routine that keeps it clean a clear no matter how much beer is introduced.  Ha Ha Ha.

My question is how important is the “Super Chlorine” treatment every week?  It takes so long to off-gas it, that it cuts into tub time. I wonder if it is really necessary if the water is running clear.  What say you all?  

Hot Tub Forum

Weekly Chem. Treatment?
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:50:04 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Weekly Chem. Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »
If you are referring to the weekly shock using chlorine, you can use a non chlorine shock.  I have done it both ways and I like the non chlorine shock better for the reasons you state.  With non chlorine shock (MPS) you can use the spa within a half hour or so and IMO it does a more complete job of oxidizing.  And you are not adding a ton of cyanuric acid to your spa.  Too much CYA can reduce the effectiveness of your chlorine (I am assuming you are using chlorine to sanitize).  MPS will add to your TDS, but high TDS has never been an issue for me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 03:10:42 pm »
I grew up in the world that if you didn’t have anything productive to say keep your mouth shut.  I

Oh.   ::),

Hi Ed.   What type of tub do you have? What is your cyhemical routine?  (do you have an oznator?)

I too use the MPS as a shock and it works well. I have a 350 gallon  tub and only add a few onces every 10 days or so (depending upon use).
07 Caldera Geneva

Crash

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 10:23:57 am »
I have a HS Grandee with ozone and the silver ion cartridge. I add 1 to 2.5 teaspoons of chlorine after each use.  I use the tub daily and on the weekend there is usually 2 to 4 people in it.  Every week I add a ˝ cup of enzymes and if I have to add water I put in stain and scale.  Then I add 3.5 tablespoons of MPS and 5 teaspoons of chlorine.  From reading your posts I guess I can use the MPS and forgo the super dose of chlorine.    

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:13:45 pm »
I have a HS Grandee with ozone and the silver ion cartridge. I add 1 to 2.5 teaspoons of chlorine after each use.  I use the tub daily and on the weekend there is usually 2 to 4 people in it.  Every week I add a ˝ cup of enzymes and if I have to add water I put in stain and scale.  Then I add 3.5 tablespoons of MPS and 5 teaspoons of chlorine.  From reading your posts I guess I can use the MPS and forgo the super dose of chlorine.    

Exactly.  Everything else sounds good.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »
I don't always shock every week. With your usage it will do what's it's doing and keep your water clean and clear but have you ever tryed not doing it one week and doing it the next, every other week? If it works there is no reason to not do it. But it may not work with your usage and the only way you will know is to try it. I to use MPS for every other shock and with my usage I can go 2 or sometimes 3 weeks between shocks. But if I have a heavy bather load I will shock that week, it all depends, and there is nothing writen in stone, Once you learn your water and its needs based on your usage it will all fall into place. The important thing is to not over manage your water and it's needs will come to you through trial and error.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42