What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: White stuff floating in tub  (Read 14673 times)

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
White stuff floating in tub
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:06:43 pm »
Okay guys, 2 nights ago I went out to get into my hot tub and saw white floating stuff all in the water.

Hmmmmmmm well it seems as though there was a communication gap, hubby thought I chlorinated I thought he chlorinated. Well we shocked it really good with dichlor and then added  a capful of mps.

What do you think this is? we are changing out the water today, but do you think it is algae?????? Pseudomonas?

Needless to say I did not go in and that is our first water problem we ever experienced but boy oh boy was I scared.

Hot Tub Forum

White stuff floating in tub
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:06:43 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: White stuff floating in tub
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
Okay guys, 2 nights ago I went out to get into my hot tub and saw white floating stuff all in the water.

Hmmmmmmm well it seems as though there was a communication gap, hubby thought I chlorinated I thought he chlorinated. Well we shocked it really good with dichlor and then added  a capful of mps.

What do you think this is? we are changing out the water today, but do you think it is algae?????? Pseudomonas?

Needless to say I did not go in and that is our first water problem we ever experienced but boy oh boy was I scared.

I'm not sure what is going on, but  when I first got my used Nordic, I noticed white stuff floating around it when I first filled it.  IT turned out to be algea.  

The white stuff was "flimsly" opaque stuff that I originally though was perhaps silicon from a plumbing joint that was decaying.  I tried to scoop it out with a skimmer with moderate luck.  What finally worked for me was draining and fllushing 2x with Swirl away.  

Someone else in this forum (serjical, I'm looking  in your direction  ;) ) has a recipe to super dose the tub I think with beach.

Good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:48:11 pm »
what tub do you have and what filter.

If you have a micropure filter (non pleated) style then the filter could be breaking down because of age and usage.

I had problem with it the first time and found out that when the filter reaches end of its cycle, it starts to break down.  

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:16:05 pm »
Hi I have a tiger river spa and the filter is pleated. It is flimsy white opaquey kind of stuff.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  TO all who answered.!

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:18:28 pm »
I am seriously thinking algae here because the next night the water had gotten alot better. We are now in the process of draining it. When hubby gets home I am going to get into the tub and wipe it all down with baking soda.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:30:09 pm »
Draining and wiping may not be enough.  The alega gets into the plumbing. You will need to nuke the tub, (Swirl away or other sanitizing product).  After doing rinse the tub extreamly well, and don't forget to clean the filter too. As Imentioned, I had to do it a few times before my white stuff went away.  :P
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:41:07 pm »
If it is organic, you probably have biofilm.  Biofilm is when bacteria, sometimes even different types of bacteria, get together and form a protective coating.  

You can tell if it is organic by getting some pieces of it in a jar and adding chlorine.  If it desintegrates, it is organic.  If it stays, it is plastic/part of the filter.  

In order to break up the biofilm, you may need to superchlorinate the spa.  This means getting the ppm of chlorine up to 100.  This can be achieved by using bleach.
If you end up superchlorinating, do not leave the water in the spa for more than 1 hour .

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 10:09:38 pm »
Pipe mold....super chlorinate, use swirl away to clean out the plumbing, and drain and refill.  If it's really bad you might have to repeat this process twice.

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 10:50:53 am »
Thanks everybody, we superchlorinated, super duper chlorinated, drained cleaned and refilled. The problem is gone.

I am going to keep an eye on it and communication is going to increase so this does not happen again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 10:50:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42