What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Eczema and Hot Tubs  (Read 20555 times)

tooth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Eczema and Hot Tubs
« on: January 11, 2006, 07:32:06 pm »
We have had our hot tub since May.  Having had back problems and a job that can be quite stressful I was really looking forward to the beneficial effects that a hot tub would bring.

Researched and wet tested, did all the site prepartion and deck modification to accomodate the new tub. Initially everything was fine until I started noticing red, itchy blotches breaking out mainly on my arms.  I thought that it might be a reaction to the bromine sanitizer so switched to lithium hypochlorite after draining the tub.

No improvement and actually more areas have broken out on legs, neck and under the arms since.  I have drained and refilled the tub 3 times and religiously check my chemical levels.  The most frustrating part of this is that I am the only one in the family that has had a problem!

I have used various creams prescribed by my family doctor and now wonder if a trip to a dermatologist is in order.  I have never had skin problems before and can't understand what it could be coming from.

I have not been in the tub now for about a month and the eczema like patches do not seem to be disappearing.

If any one else has experienced similiar symtoms I would appreciate hearing from you.  If I can't get a resolution to this problem I feel that I have made a huge and expensive mistake in purchasing the tub. :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Eczema and Hot Tubs
« on: January 11, 2006, 07:32:06 pm »

cappykat

Re: Eczema and Hot Tubs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:28:59 pm »
We probably use our hot-tub about 2-3 times a week, lately even less.  We've had since Sept. and last night I noticed a dry, patchy place on the back of my upper thigh.  Now I tend to have dry skin but have never had anything on my legs.  I've lotioned the area and it seems to be better today.  It does make me wonder??

If I were you with the problems you're experiencing I would certainly get the opinion of a dermatologist.
2005 Marquis Epic

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:51:54 pm »
For sure get to a doctor.  You don't want to solicit medical advice on a bulletin board.  Not even this one.
Brewman

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:14:51 pm »
My husband is experiencing the same type of dry, itchy patches on his arms & legs.  He went to MD and got some cream prescribed.  The Doc said he didn't think it was tub related, but it could be stress related(his job sucks).  He stayed out of the tub for a couple weeks and it still didn't go away.  I was at my dealers last week picking up chemicals and was asking about bromine vs chlorine (we're using bromine frog w/chlorine)  Dealer thinks I should use bromine only-but not because of the rash-he just likes it better.  I told him I was adding chlorine after our soak and he suggested using it before.  His thinking is that when I use it after, it's gone by the time we get in the next day and maybe bacteria or whatever is already starting to form?  So now I'm trying the "before" method.  It's only been a few days, and I haven't asked hubby if there's any change.

My thinking is that the frog should keep the sanitizers up between soaks-but what do I know?

Update:
(I just went out to check my readings and the test strip shows low bromine- why would that be?  I just replaced it last weekend and I have it set to 6 (I think)
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 12:44:28 am »
Here's a good thread on this topic. You might have Pseudomonas but you should go see a doctor for a culture.  You were using Lithium Hypochorite? Do you live in Canada?

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1131635450;start=0
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:29:50 am »
I had the same problem and I went to my skin doctor and sure enough he gave me some medication and it works great. I have it under control now. Belive it or not the hot water will dry out your skin. I never had a problem with eczema until i started going into my hot tub. It just happens in the winter for me.  

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 09:35:54 am »
Researched and wet tested, did all the site prepartion and deck modification to accomodate the new tub. Initially everything was fine until I started noticing red, itchy blotches breaking out mainly on my arms.  I thought that it might be a reaction to the bromine sanitizer so switched to lithium hypochlorite after draining the tub.

We saw similar things in our family (history of eczema) when we started with bromine as well.  I'm not familiar with lithium hypochlorite but we found that when we switched to dichlor and add it to the water AFTER we get out of the tub then things got much better.  The problem with bromine was that there was always sanitizer in the water that we were reacting too.  By using dichlor at night then by the next day when we go in the tub again there's pretty much no chlorine left in the water.  This has made a huge difference for us.  I'm not sure how you are using the lithium stuff but if it's a constant feed of sanitizer then you migh want to consider trying dichlor and only dose after you get out.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

hamrhed

• "Hard Tellin" "Not Knowin"
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:48:24 am »
I had the same problem and I went to my skin doctor and sure enough he gave me some medication and it works great. I have it under control now. Belive it or not the hot water will dry out your skin. I never had a problem with eczema until i started going into my hot tub. It just happens in the winter for me.  

Ditto,,,,  Had the exact,, exact same thing happen to me.

Its good now, keep your skin moisturized. I never knew how importain it was...  Hope this helps.. But see the doc.. Get some magic cream  I got  (IC Betamethasone D / moisturizi)  Worked Great...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:56:59 am »
I think I posted this on here before but, we have fantastic luck with Aveeno lotion. My son had  winter eczema so bad that his hands would just bleed all the time and the cuts would become infected. We tired all kinds of medication from the doctor including antibiotics but found that Aveeno lotion was the best solution. Thankfully, he has had not problems as long as he used the lotion every night. I use the lotion on my legs as soon as I get out of the tub. When your skin is wet and warm it seems to work better. Give it a try just be sure to shower it off before you go back in your tub.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

cappykat

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 10:15:25 am »
I'm not familiar with lithium hypochlorite but we found that when we switched to dichlor and add it to the water AFTER we get out of the tub then things got much better.

So you're not using bromine at all?  Only dichlor after you soak?    
2005 Marquis Epic

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 12:51:25 pm »

Bonibelle,  I'm going to pick up this Aveeno on the way home to give it a try, as I do seem to have some dry skin issues still.  I remember you told me about it a long time ago, and when I saw a recent TV commercial I wondered if that was the product.  I'll try it out and see!

Steve

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 01:11:49 pm »

So you're not using bromine at all?  Only dichlor after you soak?    

Yup.  2 tsp of dichlor after each use and shock once a week with dichlor as well.  If it's a bit cloudy and we have people coming over I'll give it a shot of MPS and it usually clears it up quick enough and it doesn't put the chlorine levels through the roof and we can still go in later in the day.    Only other thing I need to do is raise the ph and alk every couple of weeks as they tend to drop.  Also give it shot of Defender every week or two as well.  That's my routine in a nutshell...
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 05:35:06 pm »
So many causes of rashes:
1.Ecxema
2.Pseudomonas
3.Bromine/chlorine intolerance/allergy
4.Chloramines/Bromamines from inadequate oxidization (shocking)
5.Reaction to one of the other products

Homeworks Financing Representative

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 06:36:21 pm »
Yup.  2 tsp of dichlor after each use and shock once a week with dichlor as well.  If it's a bit cloudy and we have people coming over I'll give it a shot of MPS and it usually clears it up quick enough and it doesn't put the chlorine levels through the roof and we can still go in later in the day.    Only other thing I need to do is raise the ph and alk every couple of weeks as they tend to drop.  Also give it shot of Defender every week or two as well.  That's my routine in a nutshell...

I have almost the same routine as you .... to a tee

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 05:54:53 am »
I find moisturizing after your soak and drinking plenty of water keeps my Exzyma under control. Minumize the temperature changes to your skin by staying warm until you get to the tub and staying warm after you get out. Quickly throw on your robe and dress inside.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 05:54:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42