What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: clear choice all natural "no brom or chlor"  (Read 13165 times)

hymbaw

Re: clear choice all natural "no brom or chlor"
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 03:40:52 pm »
I was under the impression that products like Nature 2 can assist in keeping water clean (many public pools used an ion system), but this was in addition to not instead of, Bromine or chlorine. Much like ozone (it helps,  but on it's own has not been proven to be a vaiable complete method).

Real people are claiming success with just an ion pack?

My tub has an ozinator, a Nature 2 ion cartridge, I use dichlor after each soak, and shock every week.    

Am I over doing it?  

Your impression is a correct one! Nature2 by itself is not enough. Ozone, by itself, is not enough. Combine the two and it's almost enough.

A little residual chlorine never hurt!

When you add di-chlor after each use you are indeed "shocking" the tub. Your weekly "shock" may not be needed but it sound like it's working for you. Try dropping the extra "shock" and see how it goes. If you have problems you can always add it back to your routine.

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 03:40:52 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 03:57:18 pm »

Your impression is a correct one! Nature2 by itself is not enough. Ozone, by itself, is not enough. Combine the two and it's almost enough.

A little residual chlorine never hurt!

When you add di-chlor after each use you are indeed "shocking" the tub. Your weekly "shock" may not be needed but it sound like it's working for you. Try dropping the extra "shock" and see how it goes. If you have problems you can always add it back to your routine.

Good Luck

Okay we are going to border on where I get outside my leauge. ...

A shock  breaks a certain level of chlorine in the tub. and oxidizes the contaminets that chlorine has killed and frees up the chlorine so it can continue to kill bacteria.

So,  if  I have enough free chlorine in my tub, I don't need to shock.  

You can use a product thas has MPS to shock, or  I have also heard you can add a "super dose" of chlorine and achieve the same results. (Oxidation and freeing up of the chlorine).

What I don't get is, folks who are using no chlorine, Ion and ozone to kill bacteria,  since no chorine is being used, the shock is doing what? Burning up the contaminets that that ions and the 03 killed?

But not freeing up any chlorine, because they are not using any ?
07 Caldera Geneva

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 04:28:32 pm »
Hymbaw, Drewstar,

One clarification, if you use dichlor as your sanitizer your weekly shock needs to be enough to oxidize the combined chlorines.

Taylor test kit recommends that is 10x the combined chlorine level in your tub. If your CC is 2ppm, then you need add enough dichlor to get your tub up to 20ppm.

Vermonter says a rule of thumb for that would be 3.5-7x your daily dose. Since each tub is different you need to experiment a little to find the dose needed for your normal use.

If your use changes you may have higher levels of combined chlorines and again need to adjust your shock accordingly.

You can tell if your shock is working if you can smell chlorine prior to shock and none after, you have successfully oxidized the combined chlorine.

Using dichlor on a daily basis in normal doses to keep a level of sanitizer will continue to build up the combined chlorines and increase chlorine smell/burning eyes until you successfully oxidize the combined chlorines with a dichlor or non-chlorine based shock dose.

Steve.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 04:28:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42