What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine, Bromine or Baqua ???  (Read 5574 times)

lmdjr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Chlorine, Bromine or Baqua ???
« on: May 05, 2005, 02:21:01 pm »
Dealer told me that the water in my area will react with Bacqua in a bad way so thats out, (foaming and smell). Chlorine, he feels disapates to fast in the heat, therefore harder to stabilize. Bromine, while SLIGHTLY more acid than chlorine is what he recommends. As long as the PH is under control, I should be fine.
Any thoughts oh all knowing hottubbers ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 02:22:09 pm by lmdjr »

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine, Bromine or Baqua ???
« on: May 05, 2005, 02:21:01 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Chlorine, Bromine or Baqua ???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 03:30:26 pm »
We started with bromine as that's what our dealer recommended.  We had some issues like foaming, bromine levels would get too high, high alk and ph, and some skin issues.  We have since changed to dichlor and the water has been great.  Very clear, no foam, a lot easier on our skin, almost always perfectly balanced, etc...  Not saying it's for everyone but it has made a huge difference for us.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

lmdjr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 04:01:53 pm »
I've heard that dichlor can render your warranty null and void.....I don't know why though....

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:00:27 pm »
I've heard that dichlor can render your warranty null and void.....I don't know why though....

I currently use Dichlor, and have since buying it in 2003.

No problems, when used accordingly.  Maybe you are thinking of Trichlor?  My manufacturer will void the warranty if Trichlor is used!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

ctsoaker

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 05:08:12 pm »
I have been using softsoak for 5 months now and love it, no smell, no chemicals daily, no skin irritations, this has really changed our whole hot tub experience for us.

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 05:36:36 pm »

That would be Trichlor sold in many pool stores, not dichlor.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 06:32:14 pm »
Boy, if dichlor voids warranties, then there are an awful lot of voided warranties out there!
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 06:41:29 pm »
I talked again to a guy I personally know that I recently converted to dichlor that previously went the Bromine and Baqua way. When he bought 1½ yrs ago I told him dichlor with Nat2 is a great way to go but his spa-owning brother-in-law told him otherwise so we set him up with bromine at his request. He didn't like it because its too "chemical smelling" and apparently changed to Baqua at some point. He ran into issues with scum line, filter clogging and clarity issues. He then came back with his tail between his legs and now that he's been on dichlor for awhile and is a big proponent. A simple dichlor regime keeps the water clean and clear without a strong chemical smell.

Give me dichlor or give me death (Patrick Henry, 1775).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

aquaman

• justice league is on the hot line !
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 07:53:49 pm »
i agree on switching to chlorine, having just switched from baqua.  My water has never been clearer and  no foaming issues. It is a little more maint on the dichlor as  the chlorine is every use but the benefits outwiegh the extra work.

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 09:01:35 pm »
Maybe the bromine suggestion was a subtle way to say "give me your money"!  Bromine use typically involves many different chems, aka more money in his pocket!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 11:22:51 pm »
Maybe the bromine suggestion was a subtle way to say "give me your money"!  Bromine use typically involves many different chems, aka more money in his pocket!

I am unsure if that applies to Bromine as much as it does to Baqua ....I would say go Dichlor or Bromine but STAY AWAY from Baqua .......those happy with it.....seem to be so very few and far between .....

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 08:30:45 am »
Give me dichlor or give me death (Patrick Henry, 1775).

"They can take my dichlor with they pry it from my warm, sanitized hands....."
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 08:19:50 pm »
We've used dichlor since we got our tub last July.  We were complete newbies, followed the regimen at rhtubs.com and we've had beautiful water ever since.  When the tub was new, we had to change about every 45 days, but it was heavily used by entire family.  Now, just me and hubby use it mostly and we can keep the water for 70ish days before we want it changed.  

We keep wondering how it can be so easy to maintain this tub.  We only use Spa Defender every other week, dichlor daily and once a week pH UP has to be added.  Thats it.  No chem smells, no foam, no skin issues, no scum.  Just clear, sparkling water.  

Our dealer really pushed bromine too, but I just told him we want to use dichlor.  

salesdvl

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 11:49:17 pm »

That would be Trichlor sold in many pool stores, not dichlor.

Hey, who invited this Forum Admin person???   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

lmdjr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:56 am »
So what is the difference between Chlorine and Diclor ? Sounds like Dichlor is the way to go but whats the difference ?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42