What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can anyone here with a 2005 Sundance Optima  (Read 2259 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Can anyone here with a 2005 Sundance Optima
« on: March 27, 2005, 03:43:16 pm »
tell me what the electrical nameplate rating is, at the 240v/50-amp setup? I'm assuming the motors would be rated in full load amps, the heater is watts.

The new spa/spa room is part of an 1800 sq. ft. addition to my house, which is still under construction. I upgraded to a new panel, along with new circuits for the addition.

Before I order the spa, I need to make sure I don't go over my 200 amp rating/calculations. (Or will make adjustments elsewhere)

Thanks, John

Hot Tub Forum

Can anyone here with a 2005 Sundance Optima
« on: March 27, 2005, 03:43:16 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Can anyone here with a 2005 Sundance Optima
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:34:51 am »
Sorry I don't have the rating info. you are looking for, but it may be available on the Sundance website- you can download the owners manual, which should give you a ballpark.  At the very least, just add in 50 amps in your demand load calc, and see where that gets you.
We have about twice your square footage, the Optima set at 60 amps, plus central air, and we are not even close to the 200 amps that we have service for.
However we do not have an electic dryer or range, but even if we did, we'd still be ok.  
Many people with older electrical service, say 100 amps or under need to upgrade for a spa, but I don't know of anyone with 200 amp service who has to.  Maybe if your entire home was electric- including heat.
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:15:09 am »
 Thanks, I will give them a call and post the results here.

We are at a little over 170 amps now, with my current calculations. That includes multiple HVAC units, swim pool, electric cooking and laundry equipment, bath whirlpool tub, etc.

To give you an example of circuit/breaker ratings compared to actual electric loads used to determine service requirements. I have a 60 amp breaker going to a subpanel I installed, which goes to smaller breakers feeding the swimming pool pump, light, receptacle, (@100%) and also an outside heat pump unit (@125%).

60amps x 230volts = 13800 watts
The actual total wattage of all the above equipment is only 8300 watts, or @230volt = roughly 36 amps to calculate in the load.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 11:41:01 am »
Wow.  If you are already calc'd out at 170, the spa just might put you over.  I'd be curious to see where you end up.  And if you do upgrade your service, where do you go from 200?  
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 12:42:28 pm »
 It will be a big deal to upgrade the service. What I will do is eliminate some of the other loads that are on paper but not yet materialized (like a second garbage disposal for the kitchen).

The calculations are for the inspector, so I will make it work (may have to do a little "Enron like" adjustments) ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 12:42:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42