What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water has green tint  (Read 6755 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Water has green tint
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:38:44 am »
In looking at hot tubs on manufacturers web sites, many of the pictures feature a blue tint to the water.  I tend to have a green tint in mine.

Initially, I thought it was algae.  Spent $30 on a bottle of Wham-o algaecide.  Didn't work.  Plus a smart member on this board mentioned that it's very difficult for a tub to grow it becuase of the lack of light.  

Second...thought it was lack of sanitizer.  I now use Dichlor and keep it at 1-3 ppm w/ ozone.  Is that too low ?

Third....thought it could be copper or other minerals in water, so I added slightly more stain and scale last night.

Any thoughts...
P.S.  I have had 3 other tubs, and don't remember any of them having a green tint.  First two had white shells, the other had a denim blue / marine shell, and now I have the Jacuzzi Premium sahara colour.

Thanks
Mark

Hot Tub Forum

Water has green tint
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:38:44 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Water has green tint
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:51:11 am »
What were you using before dichlor and did you drain/refill when you switched over to dichlor?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 11:55:57 am »
It could be minerals.  When the water is introduced into the tub, most of the minerals (copper, iron, manganese) are diluted in the water.  When you add an oxidizer, it oxidizes the minerals out of solution.  You could add a product like super blue or any other clarifier that works by bonding particles together.  You can add the calrifier with the jets running, wait for the bubbles to appear, and scoop or vaccuum the bubbles out of the water.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 11:59:05 am »
Lack of sanitizer or copper could account for the issue.

I just returned to our store after a week off. One tub had 0 sanitizer. I shcked with SpaLite (dichlor, MPS, pH+, and clarifier) and the tub had a green tinge. This is very common. It seems that sanitizer can react with unsanitized water and result in a green tint. It goes away within 48 hours, usually faster.

Copper will do it for sure. If there is copper it comes from your source water. Do you use well or municipal water? Most dealers are equipped to test for copper.

Spatech's questions are worth answering too. Would help us understand.

Thanks for the compliment on the light/algae comment ;)
Homeworks Financing Representative

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 12:18:29 pm »
Thanks for the help...

I did drain before I switched from Bromine to Dichlor.  

I have not tried clarifier yet.  I'll try that

I use municipal water.

Thanks

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 12:18:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42