What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leveling the hot tub  (Read 12472 times)

jaybird

Leveling the hot tub
« on: October 21, 2004, 08:07:20 pm »
We recently purchased a Hot Springs Vanguard and are loving it so far.  One problem though.  When it was first installed and I filled it, the tub was not level (not even close).  I called the dealer and they had someone out the next day to level it.  Well, I refilled it and noticed it was still not completely level.  It wasn't as bad as before, and the family was anxious to use it, so I let it go thinking that I could try to level it myself in a couple of weeks.  I had my brother look at it and he thinks I should call the dealer again.  He said they used pine shims (not treated) which he says will rot with the winters we have here.  My question:  Do you think the dealer is responsible to out again since it wasn't done right the first (or second) time?   Also, do I complain about the cost of using 1200 gallons of water to fill a  400 gallon tub.  Thanks in advance for the advice.  

Hot Tub Forum

Leveling the hot tub
« on: October 21, 2004, 08:07:20 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Leveling the hot tub
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 10:10:40 pm »
How 'off' is it?  We have about a 1 inch grade difference on our concrete slab for drainage.  Our tub was not 'leveled'.  It was just put flat on the pad.  What is your surface?  It was my understanding to have as much of the tub touching the surface to avoid any stress on the structure where it's not touching.

As for filling the tub, for us it costs about $3 for 500 gallons.  Not sure how the cost of our water here in NC compares to others.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

jaybird

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 10:27:02 pm »
It is on a cement patio with 4 equal sections of cement.  It is sloped to run the water to the center of the patio (left to right) and away from the house.  Even with the shims that are under the tub now, it still looks like one of the corners should be propped up another 1".  As it is right now in order to cover the neck jets on the left Moto massage seat, the water level on the other side is touching the head rest (which is not recommended since the chemicals could harm it if it is always covered with water).  I know the water isn't that expensive, but it's the idea that is wasn't done right.    

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:32:54 am »
Isn't it your responsibility to provide the correct foundation for your spa?  
With ours, it was clearly spelled out in several places- the warranty, the owners manual, etc.  

Did you have a pre delivery site inspection, and if so, did they check your base?

Just curious.  Sounds like your patio isn't up to snuff for spa support.  I think that it's pretty important your base support the spa evenly.  It may not have to be absolutely level, but it should fully support the spa.  
If you are as out of level as you say, I'd be scared that the spa isn't being supported fully.  Bet your warranty will not cover damage from an insufficient foundation.
Brewman
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 08:33:37 am by Brewman »
Brewman

nicker

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:03:37 am »
I agree with Brewman.  Unless you had somthing in your agreement with your dealer it is usually the buyers responsiablity to set up the pad,deck or what ever you are setting the tub on.   I would take the time now to have the matter corrected to avoid any possible damage to tub shell or structure of the tub.  I personally would not be in favor at all of using shims.  Shimming the tub does not give the base the FULL support it should have.  The tub bottom should sit completely flat all over to support it properly.  That is how they are designed and made.  

Was that pad already there or was it made for the tub?  

Not really sure about your water question.  Did you have someone delivery water?   We just used our hose to fill ours it I didn't really notice a huge increase in our water bill.

I would start with the pad and have it leveled properly.  The time you spend now on that will pay off in the long run with years of happy tubbing!

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:09:59 am »
If it was in your agreement that the dealer was to create a level base then yes it is his responsibility to fix to surface.  However, most dealers do not have their own person to create a deck or make a concrete slab.  The surface is usually the spa owner’s responsibility.  

If it was your responsibility to make a level surface, I think you should have to pay for service to fix it or call the contractor that made your surface if it was supposed to be level.

NightOne

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:41:10 pm »
I had a question along these lines as well..maybe Chas can pipe in...

I noticed that some of the Hot Spring models have leveling points where you can put shims underneath, but other models do not have them and explicitly tell you NOT to use shims.

What's the story?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:56:03 pm »
I think that the water cost thing was in reference to having to empty and refill the spa each time it needed to be leveled?  If you are counting pennies that way,  you should also be concerned with the electricity that went into heating all that water.  And the cost of the chemicals you dumped.  And the value of your time wasted draining and refilling the spa.

Even if your dealer is responsible for your base, I doubt they'd be on the hook for incidentals like the extra water, power to heat it, etc...  
Brewman

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 01:56:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42