What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to Preserve and Protect Your Hot Tub Cover.  (Read 14279 times)

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
How to Preserve and Protect Your Hot Tub Cover.
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:56:09 am »
HOW TO ATTACH A SPA BLANKET TO YOUR HOT TUB COVER.  

(Everything I know on how to protect and give added years of life to your expensive Spa Cover.)

I used strips of Velcro about 3/4 inch wide by3 inches long.  I spaced four of them out on the outside edge of the cover.  You may wish to use more depending on the length of the cover.  

The adhesive on the velcro does not stick to the vinyl cover very well so I used Clear Silicone.  Apply the hook side of the velcro on the cover, the rug side on the Spa blanket.
Remove the Spa Cover and lay the spa blanket over the tub.  I cut the blanket to the OUTSIDE dimensions of the tub. Then install the Spa Cover and Silicone the velcro strips onto the blanket and Cover while they are in place.

Let the silicone set and you are ready to go.

I have a cover lifter and when I flip the first half of the cover over, the Spa blanket goes with the cover.

BTW, I left the other end of the spa blanket loose, but you could do the same thing on the other end too,  but make sure you have left enough length so there is an allowance for the folding cover.   Whether you attach the other end or not  when cutting the Spa blanket be sure you leave extra length for allowance of the fold of the cover when it opens.   Approx 8 - 12 inches, depending on the thickness of the Spa Cover.

By using Velcro when it is time to replace the Spa Blanket, just apply velcro on the new replacement and away you go.

To seal and protect the top and underside of the vinyl and stiching of your Spa Cover it is a good idea to spray it with 303 Aerospace protectant (www.303.products.com).  Beyond being a sunscreen, it also helps prevent mildew growth.  Do Not use ArmorAll or Black Magic!

A Spa Blanket is Cheap Insurance, and it will save you money on keeping the heat in the tub, helps prevent the cover from absorbing water and getting heavy to lift, and keeps the Chlorine and chemical gases from attacking the underside of your Spa Cover.

I have found that if you do not attach the Spa Blanket to the Spa Cover it can be a real pain in the ass to handle and store.

I also use Steve Russell's Cover Saver  ( Email:  srsb@shaw.ca)
which takes the stress off the stitched Spa Cover Hinge when using a Cover Lifter.  It could also add years of service to the Cover.

A word about Cover Lifters.  A Good Idea!
If you do not use a cover lifter, over time your Spa Cover will get damaged in handling it on and off the spa and will suffer abrasions and cuts which will allow water to enter and water log the insulation.
A cover lifter affords an easy way to effortlessly move the cover on and off the spa and keeps it in good shape.

If your Spa is not in a Gazebo it is also a good idea to put a plastic tarp over the Top of the Spa Cover in Winter to protect it from rain, ice and snow.  Just pull it off along with the accumulated snow before opening.  It is just that easy!

Hope this helps,

Happy Hot Tubbing . . . .  

Regards,    Zz

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:04:08 am by ZzTop »

Hot Tub Forum

How to Preserve and Protect Your Hot Tub Cover.
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:56:09 am »

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: How to Preserve and Protect Your Hot Tub Cover
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 07:38:09 am »
Thanks for the information about Spa Blankets.  I was just going to post questions about them.  We live in Michigan gets really cold here in the winter. I want to protect our cover and keep extra heat in our tub also.  We do have our Hot Tub (Tiger River Caspian) in a Gazebo but still want to purchase a spa blanket.  I have seen a few of them on different Spa Supplies web sites.  Which one do you recommend ?   Lynnette :)

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 11:40:45 am »
Zz, Is there a particular spa blanket that you recommend?

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 11:49:44 am »
ZZTop,

Which blanket to do you use on your spa?  I see many of them will not fit my HS Vista, being that it is 8'7" long.

Jonathan

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 12:24:51 pm »
Yep Jonathan, I have the same tub.

ZZTop,

Which blanket to do you use on your spa? ĘI see many of them will not fit my HS Vista, being that it is 8'7" long.

Jonathan

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
Shouldn't the blanket sit on the water?  What am I missing here?

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 03:37:42 pm »
From ZZ's description, it appears that the blanket sits on the top rim or top edge of the spa and gets sandwiched between the spa and the spa cover.  Makes sense to me to do it that way.

Jonathan

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:21:04 am »
did you leave the plastic covers on the lamp shades or get plastic covers for your furniture.? ;D

good idea, but the wife would not approve of such things, I am left with the 303

I have a sun sail (shade) over the tub,
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 12:22:22 am by Shut_Down_Stranger »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 01:27:35 am »
Thanks for the information about Spa Blankets.  I was just going to post questions about them.  We live in Michigan gets really cold here in the winter. I want to protect our cover and keep extra heat in our tub also.  We do have our Hot Tub (Tiger River Caspian) in a Gazebo but still want to purchase a spa blanket.  I have seen a few of them on different Spa Supplies web sites.  Which one do you recommend ?   Lynnette :)

Lynnette and Warkovision, their are too many sources for me to recommend a brand, however look for one with as heavy a mil as possible, as it will stand up better.

Remember we are using it as a sacrifical barrier which you can expect to replace every two years or so.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 01:28:41 am by ZzTop »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 01:29:10 am »

Lynnette and Warkovision, their are too many sources for me to recommend a brand, however look for one with as heavy a mil as possible, as it will stand up better.

Remember we are using it as a sacrifical barrier which you can expect to replace every two years or so.

Regards Zz

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 01:32:32 am »
Shouldn't the blanket sit on the water?  What am I missing here?

The Spa blanket actually does sit or float on the water.  Most suppliers suggest cutting the spa blanket to fit on the inside of the spa.

I do not heed this advice as one of my reasons for using it is as a barrier from the chemicals and gasses coming off the water.

I have not seen any appreciatable heat loss.

Regards, Zz

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 01:37:06 am »
ZZTop,

Which blanket to do you use on your spa?  I see many of them will not fit my HS Vista, being that it is 8'7" long.

Jonathan

Spa blanket material is also sold for swimming pools.

I was able to find a long roll intended for a swimming pool at a Sears outlet store which I paid $50.00 cdn.   I was able to custom cut it into six usable spa blankets.

I gave some away to my friends for their hot tubs.

Regards Zz

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 01:48:04 am »
did you leave the plastic covers on the lamp shades or get plastic covers for your furniture.? ;D

good idea, but the wife would not approve of such things, I am left with the 303

I have a sun sail (shade) over the tub,

ha ha ha

No I do not have plastic covered car seats but now that you have mentioned it . . . . . . . .

Your sun sail (shade) should help the top, but what is protecting the underside?

If you choose to use a spa blanket it is very akward to handle and store.

By attaching it as I have suggested it is a very elegant and unobtrusive way to use it.

Interestly Most Spa Covers have a very short warranty, no where near as long as the tub shell or the hardware and electrical components.  Most of us find ourselves replacing them within three to five years at a cost of $500 and up Cdn.

It is unfortunate that Spa Manufactures have not found materials that can give better longevity and service at a reasonable price.   Maybe some day.

Boaters are up against similar problems with vinyl canvass.  

Regards Zz

KC-SWO

• Waiting for my new deck, Dreaming of my BC 750
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 02:43:32 pm »
Would it have to be a spa blanket??

Would siliconing a plastic sheet to the bottom of both
halves of the cover have mostly the same effect?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:11:46 pm »
Would siliconing a plastic sheet to the bottom of both
halves of the cover have mostly the same effect?

Right off the bat, this would seal up the drain(s) in the bottom of the cover preventing condensation and rain water from being able to run out.... not something you really want to do...

(uno mas)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 03:11:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42