What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to Preserve and Protect Your Hot Tub Cover.  (Read 14294 times)

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: How to Preserve and Protect Your Hot Tub Cover
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 04:06:33 pm »
Would it have to be a spa blanket??

Would siliconing a plastic sheet to the bottom of both
halves of the cover have mostly the same effect?

Dr Spa is correct and more over a plastic sheet will not give you any insulating benefit, the major reason for using a Spa Blanket.

If you have never seen a spa blanket it is made up of thousands of plastic encapsulated air bubbles, like packing material, which gives it it's insulating abilities.

Regards, Zz

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 04:06:33 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 01:22:38 pm »

Dr Spa is correct and more over a plastic sheet will not give you any insulating benefit, the major reason for using a Spa Blanket.

If you have never seen a spa blanket it is made up of thousands of plastic encapsulated air bubbles, like packing material, which gives it it's insulating abilities.

Regards, Zz

Spa Blanket = Solar Blanket
Homeworks Financing Representative

KC-SWO

• Waiting for my new deck, Dreaming of my BC 750
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 01:43:46 pm »
Bubblewrap!!!

I have lots of that!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 07:07:23 pm »
Sure, but you'd probably just sit there and pop it as you soaked!
Brewman
Brewman

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 07:13:40 pm »
Ozination and your Hot Tub Cover

IMHO, Beachcomber is not bullish on Ozination.  I believe they are not convinced of Ozinator safety and cost effectiveness.  Beachcomber offers ozination mainly because of Market pressure.  They seem to think that their Purezyme, enzyme additive, together with a chlorine or bromine regimen works just as well without any possible health hazards.

On my tub, 550x the mixing tube is just 6 feet long,  in other designs I have seen mixing tubes as long as 25 feet.

Ozination works best when used in conjuction with a 24/7 dedicated circulating pump, (Beachcomber calls theirs a Hush pump), as the ozination is exposed to the water continuously, 24 hours a day.

Ozination does help to reduce the TDS, Total Disolved Solids, by not having to use as much chemicals to maintain water quality.  But it should not be a major factor in deciding whether to purchase Ozination or not.  Water Quality is just as good in Spas that do not use Ozination as long as the manufactures water maintenance directions are followed..  Most new Hot Tubs are sold as "Ozone Ready", and  an Ozinator can be added later if you wish , perhaps when better systems are developed and proven of greater benefit.
In other words you may have to change your water slightly more often if you are not using Ozination. (Depending on bathing load, the average period being three months).

Yes Ozone gas as well as chlorine can have a deleterious effect on your Hot Tub Cover.  Using a Spa Blanket can help decrease this.  
On everything I have read on Ozination, in theory it appears to be a good idea, however there is no definitive proof (that I can find), on how effective it really is in Hot Tub applications.  You can buy a lot of chemicals for the price of an ozinator.

An Ozinatior is expensive to buy and to maintain.

With all that said, I do have Ozination on my Hot Tub.  I expect to have to replace it after 2 years of Service at a cost of $150 - 200 cdn.

There have been some new developments in Ozination recently.  Marquis is using a plasma UV system (made by Balboa), which appears to have a long life cycle (Up to 7 years).  

It is early in the development cycle and we will have to wait and see if Ozination is the right system for Spas in the long term.

Marketing seems to drive the popularity of Ozination, but only in the long term are we going to learn if it is truly beneficial.

Regarding Spa Pillows.  I am not an advocate for them as they tend to be expensive, high maintenance items which are subject to degradation from chemicals in the water as well as ozone.  If you check the warranties you will find they have a very short warranty period and cost from $25 to $50 each to replace.  I am for easy maintenance and low cost upkeep.  Beachcomber and Marquis are two Manufactures who were wise in not using Pillows.

Regards Zz

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:09:59 am by ZzTop »

Jordy

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 09:46:39 pm »
Hi ZZ,
Just two quick points about your last post:
1.) You won't have to replace your ozonator after 2 years of service, you simply have to purchase a replacement chip. This should cost you about $40. You will easily save much more than that in reduced chemical purchases over the next 2 years.
2.) The materials used in headrests today (Jacuzzi, HotSpring, and others) is much more durable than the materials used in the past and say what you will, many people agree that it makes for a more comfortable, relaxing hot tub experience.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 09:51:25 pm »
Mr. Top has some good points on ozone.  As a Marquis dealer, I like what Marquis has done in an effort to use the ozone in their contact chamber.   U.L. has rated this system as a zero gas off system.  No gas off creating maximum safety for the user and no deterioration of covers.

I don't think that there is a system out there that would
produce enough ozone gas to be harmful to people.  However, it sure has a bad effect on covers and pillows.

This has been a fun website to be able to participate in.  I do see most of the posting as infomative, honest and helpful.

Rocket

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 12:27:05 am »
Hi ZZ,
Just two quick points about your last post:
1.) You won't have to replace your ozonator after 2 years of service, you simply have to purchase a replacement chip. This should cost you about $40. You will easily save much more than that in reduced chemical purchases over the next 2 years.
2.) The materials used in headrests today (Jacuzzi, HotSpring, and others) is much more durable than the materials used in the past and say what you will, many people agree that it makes for a more comfortable, relaxing hot tub experience.

Jordy the type of Ozinator I am using uses an UV Tube which useful life is about 2 years.  I could replace the tube however the cost is almost as much as a new unit.
CD Chips have there problems too.  They require servicing ie cleaning, and chip replacement which can run $75.00 or more on a yearly basis.

Regarding headrests it is a personal thing, so I plead no contest.

Happy Hot Tubbing

Regards, Zz

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 12:27:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42