What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How important is choosing a local dealer?  (Read 2903 times)

waterpro

How important is choosing a local dealer?
« on: August 10, 2020, 02:46:35 pm »
I'm looking at buying a hot tub soon, unfortunately my local dealer is very expensive.  I've found a few dealers that are about 2 hours away from me that are about $1500+ cheaper.   Is it really that important to deal with a local dealer?  What I mean by this is that, for the most part we're all buying higher end quality tubs right.  I mean, for $10-$15k, the thing should work!  That's why I'm paying $10-$15k and not $3-$5k.  Aren't higher end hot tubs one of those things where if something goes wrong it's usually going to happen right away?  The reason I'm asking is that, if this is the case, then the local dealer really isn't a factor past the initial time to deliver and set it up.  Once it's up and running, it should just run right?  Maybe I'm being naive here?

So maybe a better question would be, what is the price threshold where buying from someone 2 hours away is justifiable?  $500, $1000, $1500, $2000, etc, etc.  At what point does it make more sense to buy outside your local dealer?

I'm also not really considering the delivery as part of the equation as I have a large trailer that it can easily be loaded into to bring it home. My house semantics really aren't part of the equation either as I have a 15' wide concrete path going from the driveway all the way to the back yard where the tub will go.  So literally, I can back the trailer into my back yard and get the tub just a few feet from it's final resting position before it needs to come off the trailer.  I have a lot of strong friends that want to use the tub as well, so lifting it from the trailer to it's final resting spot is also not really an issue.

What I am also curious about is, what happens if you do have issues with a tub you purchased 2 hours away?  The warranty is through the manufacturer right?  Doesn't that mean that any local dealership has to service it anyway if something goes wrong?  Just like a car, if I have an issue I can bring it to any dealer and get it fixed if it's a recall.

I would much rather support local businesses but when their price is $2k over what every one else is charging and they're not budging, then I have an issue.  Especially in this COVID environment where any hot tub purchased right now just goes in a queue anyway, there's literally no holding costs on the side of the dealer.  You are paying them for what, a little bit of their time to go on their computer to place an order?

I hope the dealers on here don't take offense to this post.  I really don't mean any disrespect! I really mean that!  It's just that this is obviously a very large ticket item and you want to get a reasonable price where you don't feel like you're being taken advantage of.  If the price difference was $500 or less, I wouldn't even be asking this question, it's just when I'm seeing price differences of $1500, or more, that's when I start to question things.

Thanks everyone!

Hot Tub Forum

How important is choosing a local dealer?
« on: August 10, 2020, 02:46:35 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: How important is choosing a local dealer?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:59:51 pm »
The dealer you purchase from is responsible for warranty work. I would ask them what there call
Out charge under warranty is. Ideally you won’t need them but it’s water, electricity and electronics so stuff does happen under warranty. After warranty anybody can service it

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:04:27 pm »
What I am also curious about is, what happens if you do have issues with a tub you purchased 2 hours away?  The warranty is through the manufacturer right?  Doesn't that mean that any local dealership has to service it anyway if something goes wrong?  Just like a car, if I have an issue I can bring it to any dealer and get it fixed if it's a recall.

Nope.  The warranty goes through the dealer.

One thing I might throw out there.  Do you have legit quotes for each unit?  Same unit?  I see that happen.

Dealer in a bigger city offers a cheaper price than what I give.  So people think I'm overcharging.  Then, when they bring me the actual quote, they see they left off the lesser upgrades that I had in my quote.  The spa might be the same, but the options aren't. 

Always why I ask for a quote before I move.  I match or beat pretty much every time.  So when I hear that I'm WAY over... I have my doubts.

More often then not... the people that claim I'm overcharging mysteriously go away (even after I say I will match with a quote from that dealer,) or they say nevermind and buy from me anyway, maybe we take an upgrade off or two.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:48:20 pm »
There are also some brands that still cost 10-15 grand and are only mediocre. And may require more....attention during warranty and then more after.
Retired

lugoismad

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 09:49:50 am »
The hot tub world seems very similar to the RV world. Dealers aren't required to service units they didn't sell, even if its a brand they carry. Brands don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up to dealers and tell them they have to service everything from their brand. Warranty and other work seems to be a loss leader, vs a main source of income like in the automotive world.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 10:40:03 am »
The hot tub world seems very similar to the RV world. Dealers aren't required to service units they didn't sell, even if its a brand they carry. Brands don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up to dealers and tell them they have to service everything from their brand. Warranty and other work seems to be a loss leader, vs a main source of income like in the automotive world.

You're looking at one side of the coin when you say "Brands don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up to dealers and tell them they have to service everything from their brand" and you're missing the true situation.

Manufacturers do indeed protect individual dealers by not forcing them to do warranty work on spas they did not sell but they also do force whoever did sell that spa to do cover the warranty work so the customer is protected as well.

The point is stopping out-of-area dealers from underselling in someone else's market, taking that profit and leaving the local dealer to take it from there when the profit has already gone. By doing it this way the Manufacturer is protecting the dealer network while also protecting the customer. The customer is not left out to dry and its better for everyone.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

lugoismad

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:52:20 am »
You're looking at one side of the coin when you say "Brands don't have the testicular fortitude to stand up to dealers and tell them they have to service everything from their brand" and you're missing the true situation.

Manufacturers do indeed protect individual dealers by not forcing them to do warranty work on spas they did not sell but they also do force whoever did sell that spa to do cover the warranty work so the customer is protected as well.

The point is stopping out-of-area dealers from underselling in someone else's market, taking that profit and leaving the local dealer to take it from there when the profit has already gone. By doing it this way the Manufacturer is protecting the dealer network while also protecting the customer. The customer is not left out to dry and its better for everyone.

So what happens when I buy a spa but then have to relocate across the country for work? I'm SOL on my warranty.

Warranty work should be paid by the manufacturer and not be a loss leader for the dealer.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:54:24 am by lugoismad »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 02:28:16 pm »

So what happens when I buy a spa but then have to relocate across the country for work? I'm SOL on my warranty.

Warranty work should be paid by the manufacturer and not be a loss leader for the dealer.

Legit follow up question but no you are not SOL. In that case a local dealer should not hesitate to take you on since its not as if it was sold by someone else in his territory but if they balked about it you would just call the Manufacturer and they would need to resolve it by letting the dealer know what is expected or getting you set up with an independent (sometimes the case when you move to an area without a nearby dealer) who they would contract to do the job. Of course I'm referring to the many well respected manufacturers who do a good job of honoring their product warranties.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 02:28:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42