What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Getting used tub with Biofilm flakes - Question about procedure.  (Read 1678 times)

billfred

Picking up a one year old tub this weekend.  It has sat for a while.  It's got a bunch of biofilm flakes floating in it.

When I bring it home I plan on doing the procedures I've read here regarding shocking the tub.  I also have ordered some "Spa Purge".

Do I have to drain the tub after the "spa purge process" and before I shock?  Or can I do the Spa Purge process, then shock, then drain?  I'd like to avoid having to drain twice.

Hot Tub Forum

ratchett

Re: Getting used tub with Biofilm flakes - Question about procedure.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:31:28 pm »
From what I understand, Spa Purge is a natural Enzyme based product.   I haven't heard much about this product as the industry preferred biofilm cleaner seems to be the AhhSome product.   I don't know if they would work equally, but I know I constantly hear high praise about the AhhSome cleaner which seems to have a different chemical makeup from the Spa Purge product.

However based on everything I see with these drain cleaning products yes, you need to drain the tub after purging the plumbing and clean out any gunk at the scum-line after draining. 

I found this awesome blog discussing the various purge products on the market and how they work which you might find interesting: https://boisediesel.com/blog/2016/7/spa-purge

Sam

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 06:15:48 pm »
Make sure to add a gigantic dose of chlorine as well.  You want to kill all of that nasty stuff.  A purge alone wont do it.

Mikedee

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:09:02 pm »
Picking up a one year old tub this weekend.  It has sat for a while.  It's got a bunch of biofilm flakes floating in it.

When I bring it home I plan on doing the procedures I've read here regarding shocking the tub.  I also have ordered some "Spa Purge".

Do I have to drain the tub after the "spa purge process" and before I shock?  Or can I do the Spa Purge process, then shock, then drain?  I'd like to avoid having to drain twice.

Take my advice as I've been an owner of a hot tub for 20 years..As you stated this hot tub you picked up has been sitting idle for 1 year with visible bio-film.. You should ABSOLUTELY drain after the purge process as well as have chlorine added..I'm also gonna give you a piece of advice , do the purge process 2-3 times to make sure it's clears all the crap out..It might just loosen some biofilm up the first time but the second time you might be grossed out as what comes out of the pipes..I know from experience and I'm not in the business, just a homeowner who has learned from mistakes over the years..As far as a purge product , I can only tell you that I've used AHHsome last year and it worked the best of anything I ever used ( I'm not a reseller of any kind)..Plus the guys who sell the stuff were very helpful with their advice...In the future try not to leave the tub empty for more than a week as the seals dry out and the biofilm grows...good luck!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:09:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42