What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How's Business?  (Read 3144 times)

CanadianSpaTech

How's Business?
« on: March 28, 2020, 10:23:11 am »
Here in Ontario Canada we are all shut down with only "Non Essential" businesses closed by law. All retail stores are closed or should be. As a Service Tech I can still work without ever coming into contact with the homeowner/customer. All the jobs I have done since this all started in early March I have not come face to face with any customers. Couldn't tell you what any of them even look like.  I phone them when I arrive and then when the job is complete then collect payment by e transfer. With most people stuck at home they are using their spas more than ever one would think that business would be steady especially this time of years when folks are opening up their spas from Winter. But it has been very slow completing only 4 jobs this week when 10-20 would be the norm. Not even getting the normal phone traffic with customers calling just to ask questions. Hoping it will pick up with the steady warmer weather setting in.

How's Business in your area?
Are you Open, Closed, business as usual?
Any issues ordering new spa stock from manufacturers?

Regards CST

Hot Tub Forum

How's Business?
« on: March 28, 2020, 10:23:11 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: How's Business?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:56 am »
Storefront is closed.  Selling a few spas virtually.  Doing a lot of facetime, text and stuff like that.  Service we doing the same as you.  I carry Nordic (closed down for at least another 2 weeks), Caldera (closed for at least another week) and Marquis (open and manufacturing).  I think most manufacturers are closed except for Marquis and I believe Bullfrog.  Luckily for me I have plenty of tubs in stock to get me through this.  Traffic on new sales slowed up a lot this week but talking to a few promising leads right now.  I am working out of my store by myself so at least I am available for service questions, doing chemical deliveries after hours and talking to people about new tubs

Sludge Factory

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:15:47 am »
Storefront is closed.  Selling a few spas virtually.  Doing a lot of facetime, text and stuff like that.  Service we doing the same as you.  I carry Nordic (closed down for at least another 2 weeks), Caldera (closed for at least another week) and Marquis (open and manufacturing).  I think most manufacturers are closed except for Marquis and I believe Bullfrog.  Luckily for me I have plenty of tubs in stock to get me through this.  Traffic on new sales slowed up a lot this week but talking to a few promising leads right now.  I am working out of my store by myself so at least I am available for service questions, doing chemical deliveries after hours and talking to people about new tubs

Do you think dealers are more inclined to deal now or is it the opposite that they want to make as much on what inventory they do have? 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:08 am »

Do you think dealers are more inclined to deal now or is it the opposite that they want to make as much on what inventory they do have?

You were already getting killer prices.  I don't see how they would go any lower

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:39 am »

I actually don't think it's either.  I'm not going to devalue my product by blowing anything out at margins that are not sustainable for business and I'm not also going to price gouge due to lower expected volume.  It's business as usual for me in terms of pricing.  Plus, as hottubguy already mentioned, your dealer is super aggressive on pricing and even on high volume, I don't know how he could survive long term on those margins.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 12:05:23 pm »
Wait til June/July if the virus is still running wild you might start to see a few store closing sales. JMO

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 01:12:07 pm »
Wait til June/July if the virus is still running wild you might start to see a few store closing sales. JMO

I do agree with that.  People who have been wise with there money over the years will be ok but people who have newer businesses or have been careless thinking the good times were here forever could be in trouble. I have fairly large overhead but have cash to get through this.  I know of others that are screwed if this goes until June

Sludge Factory

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:31 pm »

You were already getting killer prices.  I don't see how they would go any lower

I was only asking out of curiosity.  I'm fine with the prices I was quoted and I wouldn't kick someone when they were down for every penny possible no matter the business.   I was asking because I know a couple people in the automobile field and they are actually selling quite a few autos.  I was surprised. 

Sludge Factory

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 09:20:55 pm »
Oh and let me wish all you dealers and anyone else on here that is in business the best of luck.  Hopefully we all get through this with our health first of all and our sources of income second.  I'm a small business owner also and luckily it's a handed down family business and we have the cash reserves to get through this and hopefully continue to be able to pay our employees.  Best of luck to you all. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
Oh and let me wish all you dealers and anyone else on here that is in business the best of luck.  Hopefully we all get through this with our health first of all and our sources of income second.  I'm a small business owner also and luckily it's a handed down family business and we have the cash reserves to get through this and hopefully continue to be able to pay our employees.  Best of luck to you all.

Good luck to you as well during this crazy time!  I applaud for thinking of your employees during this. Wish more businesses were able to do what you are doing!

Sludge Factory

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 08:49:14 am »

Good luck to you as well during this crazy time!  I applaud for thinking of your employees during this. Wish more businesses were able to do what you are doing!

Thank you.  Sorry to derail your post.    Let me get back on topic a little, are you all still allowed to sell the chemicals?  Maybe take the orders and bring them out to people?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 11:10:01 am »

That is what I have been doing currently.  Selling some tubs over facetime and skype as well.  Door is locked but I'm here for my customer needs.  I'm in the Boston area so we are getting hit fairly hard but nothing like NY and NJ

Thank you.  Sorry to derail your post.    Let me get back on topic a little, are you all still allowed to sell the chemicals?  Maybe take the orders and bring them out to people?

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 11:45:11 am »
IMO retailers with a strong online POS systems for accessories and chems are going to fare much better on the long road ahead. If I were a retailer this is an area I would be reviewing and have a lot of my focus on during this tough period.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 11:45:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42