What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deep hot tubs for 2  (Read 5225 times)

bigshotbantam

Deep hot tubs for 2
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:25:52 pm »
Have been lurking and looking for over a year now for a hot tub for 2.  We really don't socialize with third parties in the semi-nude, so really do only need room for 2 of us to be comfortable.  Husband is 6'5, and want him to be comfortable.  His job is pretty physical so do want him to get the benefit of therapeutic jets.  But at 6'5, I'm finding a lot of tubs are a bit shallow. We were interested in Bullfrog A5L, but in addition to having to buy online (no local dealer) the A5L is only 31 inches deep.  Our two local options, Nordic Stella and Aspen Quattro are 34 inches deep.  Since we're going to have to go more-than-local to get selection, are there  models you would recommend that we look at, especially over a foot of height disparity? 

Hot Tub Forum

Deep hot tubs for 2
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:25:52 pm »

Sam

Re: Deep hot tubs for 2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 02:47:16 pm »
Most small spas are shallow compared to larger ones.  You may just need to get a bigger spa since your husband is so tall.  The south seas 533DL by Artesian is a two person spa but isn't necessarily very deep. But it does have 2 loungers and one of them fits my 6'5" sales guy perfectly.

bigshotbantam

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 03:15:52 pm »
I did wonder if that might be the best solution with bullfrog in particular if it was worth the difference in price and operation cost to move up in size. Do you folks think an R6L would be the better way to go.  It still has 3 jetpacks, like the A5L, but is 34 inches deep.  By going down a collection-level I might recoup some of the size-increase cost, but I don't have any numbers to back that up with since there's no local dealer.  Just trying to guess my way toward a game plan.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 04:51:35 pm »
I would personally look into some slightly larger tubs in order to gain the depth necessary.  A few that come to mind for me are Caldera Martinique and Marquis Spirit. 

bigshotbantam

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:57:58 am »
Also, the same dealer who has Nordic in my area also has Maax.  I haven't heard them talked about in any of the forums, etc.  They are way pricier than the Nordics.  Is Maax competitive with Marquis, Caldera, etc.?

castletonia

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 12:20:33 pm »
I would not place Maax in the same category as Caldera and Marquis.  I consider the following to be premium brands: Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis, and Sundance.  I don’t care for the frame or insulation Maax uses, but other than that they are a fine middle of the road brand.  In my experience, Maax is difficult to deal with so I’d that is the route you go, make sure your dealer is stellar.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 09:24:01 am »
Have been lurking and looking for over a year now for a hot tub for 2.  We really don't socialize with third parties in the semi-nude, so really do only need room for 2 of us to be comfortable.  Husband is 6'5, and want him to be comfortable.  His job is pretty physical so do want him to get the benefit of therapeutic jets.  But at 6'5, I'm finding a lot of tubs are a bit shallow. We were interested in Bullfrog A5L, but in addition to having to buy online (no local dealer) the A5L is only 31 inches deep.  Our two local options, Nordic Stella and Aspen Quattro are 34 inches deep.  Since we're going to have to go more-than-local to get selection, are there  models you would recommend that we look at, especially over a foot of height disparity?

I don't know that there is a tub for 2 that a guy who is 6'5 will be comfortable in with another person. The industry's definition of 3 person differs with most people.  I'd look for a 3-4 person tub.   Its just my wife and I in our "5 person tub" 99% of the time, but I like to move around and hit different jets. i even sit on the bottom of mine and let the foot jets hit my back.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:32:36 pm »

I don't know that there is a tub for 2 that a guy who is 6'5 will be comfortable in with another person. The industry's definition of 3 person differs with most people.  I'd look for a 3-4 person tub.   Its just my wife and I in our "5 person tub" 99% of the time, but I like to move around and hit different jets. i even sit on the bottom of mine and let the foot jets hit my back.

I agree.

We have a 6 person tub and 99% it’s just two of us. We move from seat to seat also and have even invented new ways to sit.

More water and two people means longer times between water changes also. I don’t think it is much more work to drain, clean and fill a 6 person than a 2 person tub.

We are both fairly tall and good sized people and the smaller 2,3,4 person tubs seemed not deep enough or cramped for space.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:23:31 am »

[/quote]

I agree.

We have a 6 person tub and 99% it’s just two of us. We move from seat to seat also and have even invented new ways to sit.

More water and two people means longer times between water changes also. I don’t think it is much more work to drain, clean and fill a 6 person than a 2 person tub.

We are both fairly tall and good sized people and the smaller 2,3,4 person tubs seemed not deep enough or cramped for space.
[/quote]

You said it better than I did.  We too have invented ways to sit when the tub is nearly empty.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:59:59 pm »
A question that I didn't see asked but if it has and I missed it - I apologize.  Did you sit in any of the options you're considering while it was empty?  Depth is a stat, and stats need context.  In some tubs the seats are deeper, while others the seats are shallower (sit higher off the ground).  Then there are variable depths in the tub itself.  The Quattro, for instance, has a lounger that allows a height range of 5'3" to 6'4" which tends to allow for a larger spectrum of users.  And the seats themselves run deeper on one side with a taller bench seat on the other side.  Even if the Quattro isn't your cup of tea, sitting in tubs that you are considering while they are empty will really help you understand legspace, footspace, depth, and the overall feel of the tub.  That may move the needle more for you than going by the height itself.  Just something to consider.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

bud16415

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 03:59:48 pm »
A question that I didn't see asked but if it has and I missed it - I apologize.  Did you sit in any of the options you're considering while it was empty?  Depth is a stat, and stats need context.  In some tubs the seats are deeper, while others the seats are shallower (sit higher off the ground).  Then there are variable depths in the tub itself.  The Quattro, for instance, has a lounger that allows a height range of 5'3" to 6'4" which tends to allow for a larger spectrum of users.  And the seats themselves run deeper on one side with a taller bench seat on the other side.  Even if the Quattro isn't your cup of tea, sitting in tubs that you are considering while they are empty will really help you understand legspace, footspace, depth, and the overall feel of the tub.  That may move the needle more for you than going by the height itself.  Just something to consider.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

This is a great point you don’t need water to know if you will fit. Keep in mind the water level wont be the top of the tub. Another thing to remember is without water a tub with powerful jets will feel somewhat uncomfortable. The seats are angled to keep you in when the jets are working plus you will be weightless with water.

But as far as depth and leg room an empty tub will tell you what you need to know. 

bigshotbantam

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 10:49:27 am »
It's a great point about sitting in the tub.  Unfortunately we haven't been able to do that with any of the models we're interested in. There was no Nordic lounger on the floor at the dealer.  They only had a round, bench-only model on their floor for us to see, so haven't seen that one at all.  The Aspen dealer had a tub with lounger on the floor but it was the El Dorado, which is way too big for our needs, so while my husband was comfortable in it, it wasn't the same as the quattro.  Rural shopping can really be the pits.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 02:02:06 pm »
The Eldorado is 2" shorter than the Quattro on the lounger-side, while being 16" wider.  Thus - The feel of the lounger is the same.  And as a person who made a decision in January on Eldorado vs. Quattro for my new house, I went Quattro b/c 1) its just me and 2) I didn't need the extra space.  Money was also a consideration so I was already leaning towards a smaller, more cost-efficient unit due to the expenses of said new house. 

I also like the feel of the captain's chair a bit more in the Quattro, but that is a personal opinion and you may be taller / shorter, etc. and you may feel differently.  I am happy to help with any questions you may have about this unit if you still interested.

I have never sold Nordic but the dealers I know that do enjoy that it is fairly reliable for its price-range, and I recall more positive than negative feedback on the brand as a whole.  I hope this helps!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 02:02:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42