What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Maintenance Question  (Read 3403 times)

Newhottubuser23

Water Maintenance Question
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:55:23 pm »
Hello - I recently got my hot tub up and running about 2 weeks ago.  I have an inline frogease smartchlor with minerals system.  The water had a faint odor so I did a test strip and while the alkalinity and pH tested normal, the chlorine tested low.  I checked my inline system and realized I never set the smartchlor or minerals to a setting - they were both on 0  :-[. I’ve remedied that and they are both at their appropriate settings.  What is the best way to jumpstart the chlorine?  Should I get another frogease starter pack?  I definitely feel like an idiot!  Thanks for any help!

Hot Tub Forum

Water Maintenance Question
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:55:23 pm »

castletonia

Re: Water Maintenance Question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:21:16 pm »
The Frog jumpstart is just dichlor so you could get that or just get a small bottle of dichlor that way you have some on hand if you ever need it.  Or regular un-scented bleach would work too.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:57 pm »
Hello - I recently got my hot tub up and running about 2 weeks ago.  I have an inline frogease smartchlor with minerals system.  The water had a faint odor so I did a test strip and while the alkalinity and pH tested normal, the chlorine tested low.  I checked my inline system and realized I never set the smartchlor or minerals to a setting - they were both on 0  :-[. I’ve remedied that and they are both at their appropriate settings.  What is the best way to jumpstart the chlorine?  Should I get another frogease starter pack?  I definitely feel like an idiot!  Thanks for any help!

Yea just Dichlor, You should have some anyway for any heavy load or decontaminate situations. Use it to get 10 PPM or better once a month or more often depending on load. How much does it filter daily?
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:16:03 am »
Like others already said, throw a little dichlor in the tub and you will be fine!

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:25 am »
I think he has a Marquis that defaults at filtration 2 hours twice a day at 80gpm, and also it has a 1 hour clean-up cycle (total of 24,000 gallons per day when used). That should be enough.  The water should look/smell good with a nice dichlor dose like everyone else mentioned.  Enjoy the tub!

Newhottubuser23

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 02:49:19 pm »
Thank you all very much.  The water is looking great already!  Yes, I have the Woodstock elite at the default of 2 filtrations a day for 2 hours per filtration.  I may bump this up to three hours as it wouldn’t hurt.  Thanks again!

bachman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 02:41:49 am »
I'm quite new to this stuff and have an older Marquis Reward, using the set up and supplies the orig owner had; In-line Spa Frog - bromine/mineral cartridges.
Working well with added shock a teeny bit here and there based on use or once a week. Bather load for us is low, just two of us most of the week and staying pretty consistent on everything.
I did set mine as the default too but got familair with steppping through the options on the panel just to understand it better. Filter duration time can be changed too, on mine anyways.

Had a few minor bouts of slightly cloudy water or foaming but I beleive it's self induced or some sloppy chemistry on my part. Most of the 6 weeks we've had it going have been perfect and trouble-free / crystal clear. I'm sure you'll fall into a rhythm or routine that works for your use and it isn't an over-night process. For me, the learning curve is the -only- way to get confidence so a few stumbles or a step backward really isn't a set back at all. I'm already finding the testing or maint of the water is actually pretty relaxing itself. Just another reason to be outside in the fresh air.

Enjoy -
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:54:42 am by bachman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 02:41:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42