What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Enzyme issue  (Read 14718 times)

bud16415

Re: Enzyme issue
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 01:57:50 pm »
Still sounds to me like skin products (oils) or laundry products (soap). 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 01:57:50 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:48 pm »

I agree and said that 50 posts back....LOL
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2017, 05:58:48 pm »
 I am not sure even drain & refill would change anything, short term maybe.    Something else is going on.

So call me crazy, but if it's that cold how do service techs do their jobs?   Like changing a bad pump or a heater with no slice valves where they have to drain the water, then I assume hang around and refill or the homeowner does it?     We get down in the teens here in the PNW, but I can change the water in my spa with a pump and have it back up and running in just over an hour.    I am assuming you keep a hose inside or blown out water so you can top off every once in awhile?    Even in the 20s it's not like it's going to flash freeze your plumbing.  It's just not going to be fun doing it..

Livefast

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:41 pm »

That being said.... you also said one can't use chlorine in a bromine tub.

We are all here to learn are we not?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2017, 08:51:39 pm »
I am not sure even drain & refill would change anything, short term maybe.    Something else is going on.

So call me crazy, but if it's that cold how do service techs do their jobs?   Like changing a bad pump or a heater with no slice valves where they have to drain the water, then I assume hang around and refill or the homeowner does it?     We get down in the teens here in the PNW, but I can change the water in my spa with a pump and have it back up and running in just over an hour.    I am assuming you keep a hose inside or blown out water so you can top off every once in awhile?    Even in the 20s it's not like it's going to flash freeze your plumbing.  It's just not going to be fun doing it..

Lol. I was able to drain, swap a pump out and refill a tub today. High of 27 degrees. Might not be fun but absolutely doable.

To the OP did you ever bring that chemical back to where you bought it from to see what it was?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2017, 06:34:08 am »

I was taught not to mix chlorine and bromine. Stick to one or the other.
Retired

bradleyabell

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2017, 07:33:00 am »

I have to shut the water off to my hose spigots...The only way I can top the water off in winter is I have a 10 gallon bucket I fill up in the sink.

bradleyabell

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2017, 07:34:20 am »

I was taught not to mix chlorine and bromine. Stick to one or the other.

See...I've read on here 100 times that you can add dichlor to a bromine tub with no problems, and I have done this multiple times to get my bromine levels up quickly.

bud16415

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:41 am »
Living in as cold of a place and also the snowiest of places any one would conceder living and dealing with a hot tub. My suggestion is plan ahead.

For example today the wind chill is well below zero and we got a foot of snow over night. I would not want to drain, clean and fill the tub today, but if I had to I could and would. Timing your last water change for the year to happen late fall is a key strategy even if it is a month early. I planned ahead and have two methods of getting the water out of the tub and away from the house. My normal method is the drain fitting built into the tub and a garden hose I have set up just for that one task. It drains into my wastewater vent line. The hose holds no water so it wont freeze. The second method is a 25’ 2” pool hose I use as a siphon. I can drain the tub in 15 minutes with that and it is long enough I can have it away from the house and drain into the yard. Next you need a water connection outside near the tub and one that is freeze proof. All new homes should have these now they are long and extend into the house where the valve is actually located. My house is 150 years old and it was one of the first things I changed when I bought it. Mine I have located next to the tub and inside the house I feed it both hot and cold thru two ball valves. The hose outside is only about 10’ long and rubber so it bends when freezing out. Just long enough to fill the tub and clean the filter. I also use it with very hot water to blast ice off the steps and cover and deck between door and tub (about 3’).

All this preplanning makes it much easier to handle.

That aside I got a surprise the other day and lost half my water. After I got it fixed I replaced the 200 gallons lost and filled it with hot starting until the tank ran out and then cold. After it was full it was at 95 degrees and in a few hours was up to 103 and we were in it.

I have posted a few times about partial water changes and I’m becoming a fan of doing this, and that is about what my mishap with loosing water turned into. Several times I have done a 1/3 drain and refill it only takes a few minutes it heats back up really fast even if I don’t refill with hot water and the water is noticeably freshened up.

I think a partial fill is a great strategy for people in the cold climates in the cold months.     

bayviewbums

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:07 pm »
Reading a lot here. We are new to spa life. We have clear water. PH and Alkalinity test good. We have a sick line. Afraid to treat after reading here. We have new Sundance Chelsea. We were told to use the Leisure time shock after each use. Dealer have us a large bottle of a chemical to add when we did intial fill about 1.5 months ago. We have the Sun Purity mineral
cartridge and the built in UV light sanitizer unit. I have checked with the dealer 3x about adding some kind of bacteria product. He says no. Reading here we should be. And shocking once a week. Is water maintenance different for different spa manufacturers? I feel like we are missing a step.

bradleyabell

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2017, 08:44:02 am »
Reading a lot here. We are new to spa life. We have clear water. PH and Alkalinity test good. We have a sick line. Afraid to treat after reading here. We have new Sundance Chelsea. We were told to use the Leisure time shock after each use. Dealer have us a large bottle of a chemical to add when we did intial fill about 1.5 months ago. We have the Sun Purity mineral
cartridge and the built in UV light sanitizer unit. I have checked with the dealer 3x about adding some kind of bacteria product. He says no. Reading here we should be. And shocking once a week. Is water maintenance different for different spa manufacturers? I feel like we are missing a step.

Are you using chlorine or bromine?  What chemicals are you putting in the tub every week?  And when you say you have a "sick line" are you referring to a scum line?  If so, what color is the line?  Have you wiped it with a cloth?

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2017, 06:45:05 pm »

When things are messy or difficult to understand, don't complicate it.

Water chemistry is universal:  Brands, location, pool vs spa, it doesnt matter.  Its three main things:  pH, Alkalinity, Sanitizer.  There are other things for sure, but these are the three most important things.  pH is the ability of the products to work, alkalinity is helps keep the pH in line as long as possible, and Sanitizer keeps the water clean, clear and healthy (Yes- Its more complicated than that, and there are other considerations, and there are other ramifications, etc.  I know this.  But lets take it in bite-sized answers first, then lets build on your core knowledge going forward).

Once pH and Alkalinity is balance, apply your sanitizer.  Test daily for the first, say 10 days to see if you're using enough, too much, or too little and make the necessary adjustments.  The key is accruing data.  You can't use it only a few times or use it sparingly and get a good feel for what is going on.  So compile data and apply it to pH, alkalinity and sanitizer (balance and adjustments) and then go from there.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2017, 06:45:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42