What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam question  (Read 2276 times)

bradleyabell

Foam question
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:14 am »
Hi everyone.  I seem to be having constant foam issues. Using a defoamer product takes care of the issue but I am literally having to use it every single day. Is there a product that will eliminate the actual issue and get rid of the foam for good, or do I just have to deal with using the defoamer each and every time until I drain the spa?

Hot Tub Forum

Foam question
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:14 am »

Conine2965

Re: Foam question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:11:33 am »
Here's some tips I use for foam.
Check water balance
Shock water
Clean filter
Use oil sponge
Use a oil/soap removal product I use Scum out from spa depot.
Don't wash swimsuits between uses

Hope this helps in sure other people have some to.

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:28 am »
Here's some tips I use for foam.
Check water balance
Shock water
Clean filter
Use oil sponge
Use a oil/soap removal product I use Scum out from spa depot.
Don't wash swimsuits between uses

Hope this helps in sure other people have some to.

Thanks.  The water is in balance, I have shocked it, I use the spa bug oil absorbing sponge, and we do not wash suits between use.

Is it the scum buster that you use?
https://www.spadepot.com/Hot-Tub-Scum-Buster-32oz-P863

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:16 am »
Than that only leaves lotions and body oils that are causing the foam.

Conine2965

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:07:22 am »
Yes that's the stuff I use. Also clean filters. Also make sure to run all pumps while shocking and chlorinating. If that doesn't work get a bottle of spa purge and clean whole tub.

TemptingDestiny

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:08:36 pm »
Is your sanitizer showing up when you test? I saw you mention a scum line in a previous post and now foaming. Have you had any haziness/clouding to your water yet?

tubrash

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:52:04 pm »
I've been informed on other forms that foam can be caused by low hardness levels.  Hardness levels can be measured by the indicator strips I use from the hot tub store.  If hardness levels are high, you are screwed, you city isn't filtering the water, and you have to.  If hardness levels are low, which is likely if you are using city water, you have to ADD hardness increaser from the hot tub store, which is a solution of CaCl2 or calcium chloride.  Note this is not calcium carbonate CaCO2.    I had to add a half bottle of hardness increaser to get my levels up from 0 to the proper amount indicated on the indicator strips.  If you know you have soft water, you have to add both alkalinity up and hardness up to the water, then adjust pH then add dichlor or what ever halogen salt disinfectant you use. 

MattB

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:52:09 pm »
what are you using for a sanitizer?

tubrash

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 03:25:22 pm »
you have to completely drain the hot tub at least ever 3 months or so.  If you have a build up of organics from body oil and skin cells and anti-foaming agents and triazine from dichlor build up over 3 months, all kind of bad bacteria is going to grow in your tub, no matter how you shock or chlorinate or brominate or hydrogenperoxide or ozonate the water.  I recommend adding a half bottle of flush, let it jet for about 3 hours, draining that, wiping down the tub and cover with bleach and soap, rinsing that, down and removing, filling it up again 3/4 adding shock and overdosing with bleach or dichlor to sterilize, draining that out and wiping down, then adding fresh water, adjust the alkalinity with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), adjust the hardness with calcium chloride, adjust the ph up with sodium carbonate (soda ash) or pH down with muratic acid (HCL) and finally add some dichlor to get the chlorine up to 2-5 ppm.  If you have to add anti-foaming stuff, you probably have biofilm and who knows what salt build up, time to drain and start over. 

bradleyabell

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »
Is your sanitizer showing up when you test? I saw you mention a scum line in a previous post and now foaming. Have you had any haziness/clouding to your water yet?

Yes it is...I am using a bromine floater with a mineral floater.  My tub also has ozone.  No cloudiness or hazing.

blakeonline

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 02:40:52 pm »
Try adding red food coloring, approximately 2 fluid ounces.

bradleyabell

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »
Try adding red food coloring, approximately 2 fluid ounces.

What for?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »
Hi everyone.  I seem to be having constant foam issues. Using a defoamer product takes care of the issue but I am literally having to use it every single day. Is there a product that will eliminate the actual issue and get rid of the foam for good, or do I just have to deal with using the defoamer each and every time until I drain the spa?

How are you using the defoamer product? Just pouring it into the water?  It goes further if  you put it in a spray bottle, then turn on your jets and then spray the foam directly.

We rarely have foam problems because its usually just my wife and I in the tub 95% of the time with no suits, and occasionally if we wear suits we have ones just for the hot tub that we don't use detergent on.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42