What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera cantabria, HS Envoy/Grandee, D1 Chairman, BullFrog A8L or.... advice???  (Read 22017 times)

Thisismyname

What makes the Nautilus your favorite?

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
What makes the Nautilus your favorite?

I sat in a lot of tubs. When I first sat in a Nautilus I noticed that the open seating made it almost effortless to move from seat to seat to get a different feel. Turn the jets on high and wish you were in the seat next door and poof, you were there. The jets were put in the perfect spots for my body and it had a huge amount of adjustment from power to blow you out of the seat to calm swirling water that was pushed by a pump so quiet you didn't even know it was running. At the time it was an 8000 dollar tub and the dealer cost was a couple grand less. The one I was sitting in was one of the first years it was made. Then I had a chance to sit in a newer one 2012 I think. Nothing had changed other than more modern pumps and controls. It fit me perfect. I purchased that one used and had it in my garage for almost a year before I sold it. It looked brand new. It was also a very power frugal tub. I have a power meter on my 220v power cord that I use for repairs.

Sigh........now it's been 5 years. Are they still the same? We don't have a D1 dealer on this board anymore so.......

I've owned a lot of tubs. Only one for more than about a year as I refurb and sell. That was the best feeling one I owned. Believe it or not a Calspa comes in second. Had a ton of power and a great feel but it was noisy and power hungry and not put together real well with a messy equipment area.

You have to sit in them wet and it's to bad you can't sit in them a few times for a few hours. Then you will know which feels right to you.

The best wet test advice I can give is to bring a note pad and take notes. And it's better to get multiple tests in the same day.

1. How does it feel? 1 to 10
2. Do the jets hit the right spots?
3. Is it easy and comfortable to move around to get a different feel?
4. Is there enough leg room?
5. How are the controls? Easy/complicated.
6. How quiet/noisy is it on low, high?
7. How well is it put together, seams, jet faces, top lip, siding, corners, controls, base, equipment area? Fit and finish.
Retired

TEA POT

As you saw on my thread, wet testing alot of the same...

Bullfrog is having a promo but the best prcing I got was $11,500 + delivery + tax on an A8; this reflects a $500 discount from 1st price I was given by same dealer. The delivery part is a deal breaker at that price. ::) I will say however, if they made an XL Tub I would probably have it at the very top of the list (You listening Bullfrog?? You're leaving BIG money on the table)

Catabria was $1000 more; I know you said you were eliminating it but wanted to give you a response. Hope that helped you understand where your quotes are. Both my quotes were on new orders btw.

I'm still finalizing my purchase as well but think those 2 are out for me, everyone has different criteria. :-\
Looking mostly @ j-495 or Aspen.

FWIW - Grandee has been quoted @ $11K with discounts still available "When I'm a Buyer"  ??? Grandee may still win this though??? Waiting to see if I get to WET TEST it before I decide.  :-X

Thisismyname

It's crazy how we get such different prices.  My A8 price is a factory order at $10.2k and they have a $800 rebate starting this weekend.  That includes cover, lift, tax delivery, chemicals, etc.  The A8 is with a Ozonator and recirc pump but no audio.

Cantabria started at $15.5k, then dropped by $500 a week til they got to $14k and wouldn't budge anymore.

We really liked the Grandee but best price is about $13k with taxes and that is without the ACE salt system.  We liked the tub a lot, to moto jets were great but kind of a one trick pony perhaps.  It didnt offer much in the foot/leg area as you noted.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
The Grandee is a great tub also. Big open seating. And we all know about the manufacturers reputation. They can do more with less HP (less operating cost) than anyone.
Retired

Thisismyname

Tested out a Jacuzzi J 470 today.  Wasn't our favorite... jets didn't seem to have a whole lot of pressure and most of the seats felt too upright. 

I've been looking for reasons to not get the A8 but can't find anything that beats it for the value.  Down to the Nautilus if they can get one filled this week

TEA POT

Personally felt the Grandee was MAJOR float issues...   :o

The j-470 was small feeling to me and I'm only 5'7  ::)

Just my 2 cents bc I just wet tested them...  :-X

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Personally felt the Grandee was MAJOR float issues...   :o

The j-470 was small feeling to me and I'm only 5'7  ::)

Just my 2 cents bc I just wet tested them...  :-X

Everybody floats different in different tubs. This is why wet tests are so important if you want more than swirling hot water. Hydrotherapy is hard to get right.
Retired

bwspa

Do you have an Artesian dealer nearby?  I finally ended my search and ordered a Grand Bahama Elite two weeks ago.  Had been looking at Marquis, Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance and Bullfrog.  To me, the Jets were powerful, which was high on my list, and with their direct flow system, you can dial in the power anywhere between low and high, plus the controls are for each major seat rather than half a tub. Awesome foot blasters.

American company, great warranty and felt real good.  If you have one close, check out their elite line in the island series or their Platinum elite line if you want more motors and seating.

Thisismyname

Never looked into Artesian.  Just found the dealer isn't too far from me but not sure I want to throw another in the mix.  I feel we have been through so many already

bwspa

I understand the feeling of information overload with too many options.

I was a bit hesitant too considering the drive was an hour away, but in the end it was worth it.  I got the Grand Bahama Elite, no audio, with their Crystal AOP, inline @ease, delivery, years worth of chemicals, cover lifter, steps and tax for $10,300 including 60 months 0%financing after some negotiating.

Thisismyname

What area are you in?

bwspa

Northern Indiana.  Dealer is in Merrillville (East of Chicago).

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Remember, more pumps means more monthly cost to operate.
Retired

Thisismyname

Talked to the Artisian dealer...he can do the Grand Cayman Elite for $10k even with everything included.

Not sure if it's worth the test.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42