What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Spas - Forever Floor. Site Preparation?  (Read 7213 times)

JeffJ

Arctic Spas - Forever Floor. Site Preparation?
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:12:13 pm »
Anybody have some honest long term experience with the Forever Floor?   Beyond a level surface as they claim is there anything else i should do to prep the spot it will sit on?

Hot Tub Forum

Arctic Spas - Forever Floor. Site Preparation?
« on: May 24, 2017, 02:12:13 pm »

Cora5

Re: Arctic Spas - Forever Floor. Site Preparation?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 03:48:43 pm »
HI Jeffj, Give us some details on what forever floor is, also where do you plan to place the spa. The spa will need to be placed on a level surface that can support the amount of total weight completely filled with water and people.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
Anybody have some honest long term experience with the Forever Floor?   Beyond a level surface as they claim is there anything else i should do to prep the spot it will sit on?

It is better than a lot of tub bases but I always recommend a good solid proper base for any tub.
Retired

JeffJ

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:48:29 pm »
From Arctic Spas website :

This pressure-stamped fiberglass composite floor is impervious to moisture, pests, and time. It completely eliminates the need for foundation materials like concrete, decking, or blocks! Just set it on level ground, hook it up, fill and use...installation has never been easier.

I'm hoping somebody out there has an Arctic Spa with this option and some practical experience ... sales guy of course is saying you can just plunk it down in the yard.    My question is settling?   If I don't need "concrete, decking or blocks" ...  found one person on another forum site that prepped it by tamping and using #9 gravel for drainage.

JeffJ

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »

It is better than a lot of tub bases but I always recommend a good solid proper base for any tub.

ie good old slab?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:37 am »

ie good old slab?

Yes, there are other reasons to use a good solid "clean" base. Bringing dirt and grass into the tub sucks.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
there are simply trying to bypass something that 98% of people are going to build anyway and that is a solid base with concrete or patio stones...so if it is an option for extra $ I would skip it

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 02:11:29 pm »
I wouldn’t want a tub with an open bottom or wood bottom. The bottom isn’t talked about that much with hot tubs but the one I bought has an acrylic molded pan covering the bottom. Mine is sitting on a wood deck so water drains away below it. when we brought our tub on the deck it slid nice on the pan.

This looks like a heavier version of that. I would still want the tub on a pad or compacted crushed stone. I would never sit one just on the lawn and call it good enough. Too much chance for movement and settling.

It looks like a nice product and it could be overkill but I don’t see where it could hurt. 

JeffJ

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »
I wouldn’t want a tub with an open bottom or wood bottom. The bottom isn’t talked about that much with hot tubs but the one I bought has an acrylic molded pan covering the bottom. Mine is sitting on a wood deck so water drains away below it. when we brought our tub on the deck it slid nice on the pan.

This looks like a heavier version of that. I would still want the tub on a pad or compacted crushed stone. I would never sit one just on the lawn and call it good enough. Too much chance for movement and settling.

It looks like a nice product and it could be overkill but I don’t see where it could hurt.

Yeah, I'm in a position to do a proper pad anyways ... was considering just doing compacted stone, but might as well just frame and pour same time I do my fence posts and deck footings

Thanks all for the feedback

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »
I'm an Arctic Spa dealer for 18 years now.  We have put many of our spas on flat level surface (including my personal spa).  We have yet to have an issue as Arctic Spas are built very strong.  It all starts with a good foundation which we call our Forever Floor! 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 09:13:01 pm »
I'm an Arctic Spa dealer for 18 years now.  We have put many of our spas on flat level surface (including my personal spa).  We have yet to have an issue as Arctic Spas are built very strong.  It all starts with a good foundation which we call our Forever Floor!

Our winters would move it all over the place. It would be lopsided in no time. But yes the tub would be fine, just crooked.
Retired

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:39:55 am »

Our winters would move it all over the place. It would be lopsided in no time. But yes the tub would be fine, just crooked.

My store is in Breckenridge, CO.  We are at 9000 feet.  The tubs don't move all over the place.  Not sure what you mean by that.  We have been putting these on flat level surfaces for 18 years.  We have yet to have any issues as long as the tub is on a flat level surface.  Now we do also put them on concert pad, decks etc.  Someone mentioned a pad is better so you don't take grass and dirt in the tub.  Well if you put pavers, patio stones down around the outside of the spa you will eliminate this need.  So again if you build a spa from the ground up with a solid foundation you have a SUPPER STRONG SPA!!!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »

My store is in Breckenridge, CO.  We are at 9000 feet.  The tubs don't move all over the place.  Not sure what you mean by that.  We have been putting these on flat level surfaces for 18 years.  We have yet to have any issues as long as the tub is on a flat level surface.  Now we do also put them on concert pad, decks etc.  Someone mentioned a pad is better so you don't take grass and dirt in the tub.  Well if you put pavers, patio stones down around the outside of the spa you will eliminate this need.  So again if you build a spa from the ground up with a solid foundation you have a SUPPER STRONG SPA!!!

What I mean by that is the frost here in Northern Minnesota at just above sea level moves houses. I agree, but a super strong spa that's crooked because it heaved in the winter and sunk in the summer would be bad. Our frost normally sinks 4-6' How deep does your frost go in Co?
Retired

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 03:49:53 pm »

What I mean by that is the frost here in Northern Minnesota at just above sea level moves houses. I agree, but a super strong spa that's crooked because it heaved in the winter and sunk in the summer would be bad. Our frost normally sinks 4-6' How deep does your frost go in Co?

Your frost moves houses?  Well there is a bigger problem then the spa.  I do know the ground freeze here in CO.  But I've never seen any damage to any of our spas with the forever floor and again I've been a dealer since 1999 selling only Arctic that whole time. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 07:47:22 am »
We have some of the strictest footing and road building requirements in the lower 48 because of frost. It raises and lowers everything during the seasonal changes. And yes, houses move. Especially when the footings are not done properly. I have seen hot tubs on sub standard bases move 6" on one side because of frost. Heaves up in winter and settles back down in the spring.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 07:47:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42