What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical use Artesian Grand Caymen 1 person  (Read 5236 times)

MikeK157

Chemical use Artesian Grand Caymen 1 person
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:27 pm »
Just had my tub installed last week and filled/cleaned this weekend

The person installing it recommended 3 or 4 capsuls of shock every week and 1 or 2 capsuls of chlorine twice a week. I also have the nature 2 filter.

Does this sound reasonable for 1 person twice a week?

I remember reading i should shock after every use and chlorine once a week but he advised against that.

He also advised i switch to Lithium Hypochlorite since it doesn't sit in the water after cleaning.

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical use Artesian Grand Caymen 1 person
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:27 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Chemical use Artesian Grand Caymen 1 person
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:16:46 am »
Either is fine, but most people use non-chlorine potassium peroxymonopersulfate (generally labeled 'shock' or MPS) vs chlorine.  That isn't the whole point of a mineral-based product like Nature 2 but its a big selling point:  Don't have to use chlorine, save for if it goes cloudy or if you're expecting a heavy bather load.  MPS is softer on your skin, cover, and components and doesn't have the noxious aroma.

Nobody will use the tub like you so don't be beholden to the way others do it.  Test before you get in and add shock after you get out.  If you're always running low on MPS, you're not adding enough.  How many people, how long you're in it, how many times a week, and how dirty you are all play a part in how much and how often you add.

Just test 4-5 times/week for first week or two to get a baseline on how much you need and then you'll have a feel for it.  Do not forget to monitor pH and alkalinity:  They're just as important as your sanitizer.

Good luck moving forward.

MikeK157

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:45 am »
He was saying the advantage of lithium is once it cleans it evaporates and leaves little trace on the water. Is this accurate and does shock leave more in the water?

Sam

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:19:11 pm »
You got a Grand Cayman and didn't get the inline @ease and/or crystal propure or  crystal aop?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »
He was saying the advantage of lithium is once it cleans it evaporates and leaves little trace on the water. Is this accurate and does shock leave more in the water?

Chorine does the same thing. MPS (shock) drives up your TDS (total dissolved solids)

Chlorine or lithium leave less in your water in the form of TDS than shock (MPS)
Retired

MikeK157

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »

Chorine does the same thing. MPS (shock) drives up your TDS (total dissolved solids)

Chlorine or lithium leave less in your water in the form of TDS than shock (MPS)

Thanks for the info. Is there any reason he recommends lithium over traditional Chlorine. I have chlorine now and he advised I make the switch once I run out

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:25 pm »
Use dichlor in the beginning, get to know your tub. After a month do a water change. I use enough chlorine for 3 PPM for 1 person, 4.5 for 2 and 6 for 3 or more people. After a while and you get used to hot water care you can switch to bleach after you put in approximately 30 PPM total dichlor as it adds about 30 PPM stabilizer (approximately 1 ppm stabilizer per 1 PPM of chlorine is added). About 1 oz of bleach gives you 1 PPM chlorine - testing your tub will make it known. I do keep MPS around to shock when the combined chlorine gets a little high or I just want to burn off contaminants.

Using bleach will keep the water better longer. Don't forget about the other water chemistry as well.

Great tub BTW, I have a 2005 Grand Cayman.

MikeK157

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:45:42 pm »
Use dichlor in the beginning, get to know your tub. After a month do a water change. I use enough chlorine for 3 PPM for 1 person, 4.5 for 2 and 6 for 3 or more people. After a while and you get used to hot water care you can switch to bleach after you put in approximately 30 PPM total dichlor as it adds about 30 PPM stabilizer (approximately 1 ppm stabilizer per 1 PPM of chlorine is added). About 1 oz of bleach gives you 1 PPM chlorine - testing your tub will make it known. I do keep MPS around to shock when the combined chlorine gets a little high or I just want to burn off contaminants.

Using bleach will keep the water better longer. Don't forget about the other water chemistry as well.

Great tub BTW, I have a 2005 Grand Cayman.

Love the tub so far. In it all 3 nights it was operational. I can tell there will be a learning curve. Already high PH and high alkalinity after adding chlorine once. Is it best to test with water in motion ie jets on? Or jets off?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
I always test with the jets off - just makes it easier to collect water as I use test chemicals that have vials.

How high is the PH and alkalinity? Chlorine shouldn't really have an effect on alkalinity except possibly drop it. PH can swing depending on the items you are using and alkalinity of the tub. Non chlorine shock has a PH of around 3 I believe, bleach has an initial PH of 13 but as it does it thing drives toward 7 (neutral) and dichlor starts out at around 7 and as it does it's thing drives the PH up.

Alkalinity is what keeps the PH from moving ... I have great water for a tub and pool - starts out with a low PH and alkalinity and I can just add baking soda and or borax and get them both in range.

MikeK157

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:35 pm »
I always test with the jets off - just makes it easier to collect water as I use test chemicals that have vials.

How high is the PH and alkalinity? Chlorine shouldn't really have an effect on alkalinity except possibly drop it. PH can swing depending on the items you are using and alkalinity of the tub. Non chlorine shock has a PH of around 3 I believe, bleach has an initial PH of 13 but as it does it thing drives toward 7 (neutral) and dichlor starts out at around 7 and as it does it's thing drives the PH up.

Alkalinity is what keeps the PH from moving ... I have great water for a tub and pool - starts out with a low PH and alkalinity and I can just add baking soda and or borax and get them both in range.

we have very hard water here so i suspect thats why i had bad readings. PH was 8.4 and Alkalinity was 240 but today down to 180

Bought some muriatic acid and researching that to level it all out

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:55:38 am »

we have very hard water here so i suspect thats why i had bad readings. PH was 8.4 and Alkalinity was 240 but today down to 180

Bought some muriatic acid and researching that to level it all out

Handle with care, don't splash any on anything, use gloves, mix with water from the tub in a clean 5 gallon bucket first.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:21:16 am »
I usually use just PH down if I need to adjust it down, a little safer to use. I've even used white vinegar when that's all I had.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 12:08:14 pm »
Just had my tub installed last week and filled/cleaned this weekend

The person installing it recommended 3 or 4 capsuls of shock every week and 1 or 2 capsuls of chlorine twice a week. I also have the nature 2 filter.

Does this sound reasonable for 1 person twice a week?

I remember reading i should shock after every use and chlorine once a week but he advised against that.

He also advised i switch to Lithium Hypochlorite since it doesn't sit in the water after cleaning.

That part sounds backwards. I will add as far as sanitizer level, this is one area the cheap test strips work well. If you go to use the tub and you check the chlorine level and it is zero, maybe add a little more chlorine next time.  If its zero and you add it, but your tub stays clear you're doing ok.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 12:31:11 pm »
pH/alkalinity lowering tip:  Have the water still with the jets OFF.  Lowering pH will work with turbulence, but it works even better when you leave the water calm.

Upon a fresh fill, if you require, for instance, 1lb of pH reducer (sodium bisulfate) to drop your pH/alkalinity, then add it to the footwell before you fill.  By the time you fill your tub and let it cycle once, the pH/alk will be properly reduced.

MikeK157

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »
I usually use just PH down if I need to adjust it down, a little safer to use. I've even used white vinegar when that's all I had.

Would the ph down have any impact on the alkalinity?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42