What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trip Charges for Warranty Work - common?  (Read 2777 times)

bwspa

Trip Charges for Warranty Work - common?
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:42 am »
So I'm still shopping and in my selection process I have been told by some dealers there will be, or won't be, a trip charge for warranty work, if needed.  Is this common and is this something determined by the dealer or by the spa manufacturer?  Is it just determined by whether you're close by or out of area?  One dealer is 63 miles away, the other two are across town.

Right now I'm looking at Marquis, Artesian and Jacuzzi.  Two are from bigger pool and spa stores and one is just spas only (Marquis).

I'm trying to compare to the best I can for all aspects of the spa brand and dealer pros and cons. 

Hot Tub Forum

Trip Charges for Warranty Work - common?
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:42 am »

Conine2965

Re: Trip Charges for Warranty Work - common?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:15 am »
I just bought a hot tub most have some kind of language about at trip charge in their warranty but not very specific.  I just made sure to ask each dealer.

meriflower

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:47:27 am »
I think it depends on the dealer.  My Bullfrog dealer does a trip charge regardless of the distance.  They are affiliated with a chain of furniture and mattress stores.  I recently sold my Bullfrog and getting a Marquis Spirit and they will charge if over 30 miles from the store.  The Marquis dealer is a pool and spa store. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:44:05 am »
expect $50 - $100 for a trip charge depending on dealer & distance...we waive it for the first 6 months of ownership and I know others that do the same, good question to ask if you are ready to commit to a particular spa/dealer.  Good Luck!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 12:56:59 pm »
expect $50 - $100 for a trip charge depending on dealer & distance...we waive it for the first 6 months of ownership and I know others that do the same, good question to ask if you are ready to commit to a particular spa/dealer.  Good Luck!

Yes, this is a good post and fairly common, but ask your dealer at the time of purchase.   I'm in the same town as my Sundance dealer and they have waived that once on the only warranty call I had.  It was related to a non-critical item (lights) and I could wait till they were in the area.  But hot tub dealers aren't like auto dealers where you have one in every town.  More rural customers can probably expect the charge.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 06:29:16 pm »
So I'm still shopping and in my selection process I have been told by some dealers there will be, or won't be, a trip charge for warranty work, if needed.  Is this common and is this something determined by the dealer or by the spa manufacturer?  Is it just determined by whether you're close by or out of area?  One dealer is 63 miles away, the other two are across town.

Right now I'm looking at Marquis, Artesian and Jacuzzi.  Two are from bigger pool and spa stores and one is just spas only (Marquis).

I'm trying to compare to the best I can for all aspects of the spa brand and dealer pros and cons.

It is common for a trip charge (maybe even to the point of almost expected) but at the point of sale you may find it to be negotiable to a degree. If you are close to making a deal and you ask for them to waive it for the 6 or maybe 12 months, you'll stand a good chance of getting that thrown into the deal. It also can vary by location to the dealer and its really beneficial to you if they are not too far away. Even without the trip charge I'd lean toward the in town dealer over one 63 miles away if everything is equal otherwise. As far as pool+spa store vs spa only, its fine if they sell both as long as the spa side of the business isn't an afterthought. You need a dealer who fully values the spa side of the business and puts his full resources in that area so make sure its not just their secondary business.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 06:29:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42