What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heat pipe is arcing  (Read 1788 times)

rgaidies

Heat pipe is arcing
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »
I have an older beach comber hot tub. Yesterday it stopped working and when I checked it out it was the black terminal not properly connected at the panel inside the tub compartment.
I tightened the connection plugged it back in and immediately saw a small amount of smoke. Pulled the plug and when I inspected around the panel box I saw there was an arc from one of the connections on the S.S tube used for heating the tub two terminals one which had arced.. Balboa system I believe. I plugged it back in and it never repeated the issue but I have concerns on arcing as one could imagine.
Any ideas as the contributing factors. I have a picture of the area and the arcing if it helps.

Hot Tub Forum

Heat pipe is arcing
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »

JacuzziJack

Re: Heat pipe is arcing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:51:52 am »
I believe there are some videos TheSpaGuy has on this. If I remember correctly the insulating washers inside the heater tube that hold the element may be deteriorating, or maybe the element it touching the side? Might be worth going to youtube and doing a search for SpaGuy and heater. At the end of the day, as I recall, it was a pretty easy fix if you don't wait too long (if that's what your problem is).

Good luck. Take care,

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »
I believe there are some videos TheSpaGuy has on this. If I remember correctly the insulating washers inside the heater tube that hold the element may be deteriorating, or maybe the element it touching the side? Might be worth going to youtube and doing a search for SpaGuy and heater. At the end of the day, as I recall, it was a pretty easy fix if you don't wait too long (if that's what your problem is).

Good luck. Take care,

Yea a little maintenance, re-tightening, repairing and di-electric greasing on any high voltage terminals is always a good idea. Don't forget to turn off the power. I think heater tubes are pretty cheap for those also.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42