What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi delivery on Friday. Chemicals for newbies?  (Read 13523 times)

Beck0101

Re: Jacuzzi delivery on Friday. Chemicals for newbies?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »
Are you on well water or city water??

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »

Calisoldier83

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »
Are you on well water or city water??

City water, the best in los angeles.

FL Person

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 10:50:05 am »
Any lessons learned...

Yes.  HUGE lesson learned.  NEVER add any chemicals unless the water is circulating.  Read about my experience here.

In hindsight, it might be obvious.  But for a newbie, it wasn't.  I asked my dealer many questions about chemical strategy and never once did they make this point.

Hope this helps.

FL Person

Calisoldier83

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 07:33:57 pm »
Any lessons learned...

Yes.  HUGE lesson learned.  NEVER add any chemicals unless the water is circulating.  Read about my experience here.

In hindsight, it might be obvious.  But for a newbie, it wasn't.  I asked my dealer many questions about chemical strategy and never once did they make this point.

Hope this helps.

FL Person

Ouch sorry that happened. My dealer gave me reference guide, which always starts off with turning the jets on when adding chemical. But this really hit the nail on the head. I'm sure there are other folks who will find this helpful.

When I opened my tub this afternoon it looked like I had a spot like the pictures you posted, but I guess it was just a plant or something superficial because it wasn't there when we were done.

JaxSAH

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 09:48:23 pm »
Could I ask why you chose the Jacuzzi product?  I am considering switching from the Hot Springs product to a Jacuzzi for my second hot tub.

Calisoldier83

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:52:26 pm »
Could I ask why you chose the Jacuzzi product?  I am considering switching from the Hot Springs product to a Jacuzzi for my second hot tub.

Sure. I have neck and back problems and as soon as I told my salesman, he turned me away from HS to Jacuzzi. Mind you, the salesman owns a HS. Night and difference on the jets, for me. Very therapeutic. I was also floating away in all the HS I tried. I had no interest in a HS, and actually disliked the fact I couldn't stay grounded in a HS.

The family loves it!

Calisoldier83

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 08:14:43 pm »
I did get some  Sodium Bisulfate and added 1 1/2 tbsp per the Taylor guide because my PH is at around 8.0. I didn't feel comfortable having large quantities of muriatic acid around and mixed reviews about using it in spas.

Should I wait about 12 hours before going in the spa again and to get a reading?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:19:08 pm by Calisoldier83 »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 11:22:50 am »
  Probably too late, but I would leave it alone.  PH a bit high is no biggie, it will come down on it's own.  And use the spa when you want, why would you wait?

Calisoldier83

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 11:53:37 am »
  Probably too late, but I would leave it alone.  PH a bit high is no biggie, it will come down on it's own.  And use the spa when you want, why would you wait?

Yeah my salesman said the same thing when I bought, was hesitant to sell me anything. It's been more than a week and the level still didn't dissipate. The alkaline level went down perfectly though. I do have calcium build up at the water line, I get slightly irritated so I wanted to get it under control, and the sanitizer doesn't seem to be working as long as it's supposed to be.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:58:27 am »
 Unless your water is really messed up, I doubt you have calcium build up already.  Can you wipe it off or is it really hard and crunchy?   

Calisoldier83

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 12:07:47 pm »
Unless your water is really messed up, I doubt you have calcium build up already.  Can you wipe it off or is it really hard and crunchy?   

It was more grimy/greasy than anything else, really hard to get off. In some parts there was a haze. Like the adhesive residue leftover from tape.

Calisoldier83

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »

It was more grimy/greasy than anything else, really hard to get off. Like the adhesive residue leftover after you remove old tape. In some parts there was a haze.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 04:18:28 pm »

It was more grimy/greasy than anything else, really hard to get off. In some parts there was a haze. Like the adhesive residue leftover from tape.

Pretty sure it's not calcium.   Try some baking soda on a damp wash rag. 

mpkelley20

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 04:34:32 pm »
Mine gets the same white ring around the water line.  My chemicals are perfectly in line and I recently did a full purge and drain.  I bought some of those sponge things that are supposed to collect body oils and stuff.  They look and feel like those mr eraser cleaner sponges sold for household use.  I let it float around and every day or two I use it to wipe around the edges of my tub where the white film starts to build up. 

I have no idea what the stuff is but, left alone, it will get thick and sticky and hard to clean.  When I did my purge, I used Ahhsome and used some baking soda and a rag to clean the edges.  The Ahhsome didn't get all nasty like I've seen in the videos so either I had little biofilm in my new tub or I needed to run it through again.  Regardless, it did not fix my issue with the white film.

My spa guy told me to use less calcium next time I fill my tub.  It is around 250ppm.  I get zero foam in my tub but maybe too much calcium is collecting the body oils and stuff and it is settling against the water lines. 

No clue...but that sponge things does clean the white film very easily.

Calisoldier83

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »
Mine gets the same white ring around the water line.  My chemicals are perfectly in line and I recently did a full purge and drain.  I bought some of those sponge things that are supposed to collect body oils and stuff.  They look and feel like those mr eraser cleaner sponges sold for household use.  I let it float around and every day or two I use it to wipe around the edges of my tub where the white film starts to build up. 

I have no idea what the stuff is but, left alone, it will get thick and sticky and hard to clean.  When I did my purge, I used Ahhsome and used some baking soda and a rag to clean the edges.  The Ahhsome didn't get all nasty like I've seen in the videos so either I had little biofilm in my new tub or I needed to run it through again.  Regardless, it did not fix my issue with the white film.

My spa guy told me to use less calcium next time I fill my tub.  It is around 250ppm.  I get zero foam in my tub but maybe too much calcium is collecting the body oils and stuff and it is settling against the water lines. 

No clue...but that sponge things does clean the white film very easily.

I'm thinking the white haze is due to only halfway opening the cover during the first week of use. We were waiting for the cover assist to come in due to it being backordered.

I'm still trying to figure out the PH balance. It looks like I might want to drive it a little bit lower due to the amount of aeration the spa usually gets with the jets.

I might also start using bleach method if I can figure out my levels.

As far as the calcium goes, I did the calcium hardness test, but I only got the pink circle reading. I'm assuming that might mean that I need to introduce calcium to the mix.

I have to do more research on that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 06:20:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42