What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Reliability of Jacuzzi  (Read 16726 times)

JaxSAH

Re: Reliability of Jacuzzi
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »
How do I find a dealer that carries Bullfrog?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »

JaxSAH

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 08:17:34 pm »
Nevermind...I just went to their website and saw they have a dealer locator.  The closest dealer to me (Florida) is
Factory Direct - Internet Sales
668 West 14600 South
Bluffdale, UT 84065
United States

I guess I won't be able to check them out.

d00nut

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 08:19:35 pm »
Here are all the dealers in Florida, I don't know Florida so you decide which is closest. 

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/stores/florida/

JaxSAH

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 08:22:44 pm »
When you pay the amount they charge for the tub, you'd assume the above would not be an issue.  Thankfully the main meat of the tub is fine. 

True.  The moto-massage in my Hot Springs quit working a several years after we got it.  I never liked it (It ran right along my spine and was painful), so I never worried about getting it fixed.  I have had 2 leaks (in 17 years) and heater and maybe a circ. pump (I cannot remember.) go out.  This second leak, I am just dealing with.  Once it gets to a certain level, it stops leaking.  I just keep adding water (and adding granular choline to the concrete floor on my porch to keep the slime down).
I would be upset if it had those issues you had right away.

JaxSAH

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 08:25:25 pm »
Here are all the dealers in Florida, I don't know Florida so you decide which is closest. 

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/stores/florida/

Thanks.  The closest one to me is 70 miles away.  I'm not sure it is feasible (price-wise for delivery and service) to deal with a dealer that far away. 

Calisoldier83

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 10:47:33 pm »
I am a bit bias based on my personal experience, I'd seriously resist buying another Jacuzzi brand if I were to shop again.
Same story as Jacuzzi Jim and others for my dealer.  Jacuzzi dumped them (and the other dealer in the area) and moved to some new Canadian place that expanded to South Florida.  Now they cannot get parts for me and I was told to call Jacuzzi to see if the other place will cover me.  Before then, same thing of slow to get parts, etc.  So, even though it has a warranty, I wonder how much of a hassle it will be if something major goes wrong, or how much the service call will be.

As for my tub itself, quality control was just not there.   Maybe my tub was made on Cinco de Mayo or something.

I had:
- Some of the connectors inside were not fully inserted from factory.  Odd they do not use other style connectors that would click and hold.
- ALL 4 cupholder leds died within 6 months of ownership.   Looking closely, it seems like they were over-tightened and had a hairline crack in them, over time, died.   Just to jinx it, they have been fine since replacing.
- BOTH waterfall leds are non-functioning.  These too died within 6 months.   Replaced.   Replacements died within the next year.  Looks like the build of them are not 100% waterproof.  You can see the rust inside and where water got in.  VERY poor design and/or craftsmanship. 
- leds only have 1 year warranty.  So, unless I want to pay over $200 for the parts alone, I have no more leds for my waterfall at all.  Even if I pay $200, they will be the same as what we have now, and will go bad in no time, so gave up on the waterfall lights.
- One of my jets did not work right from the start.  Ended up being a kinked hose from the factory.   There was water in the system when we received the tub, so you know they "tested" it, but the jet was non-existent until the hose was rerouted to prevent the kink.
- Now, my main filter intake "whistles" if I tighten the filter too much.  If I leave it the slightest bit loose, no whistle, only for a second when circulation pump starts.  I think that joint has a hairline crack in it.
- My lifter was had the foam handles already torn within 2 weeks, replacements were sent, but since things are welded between, not sure how they can be installed.
- In replacing the cupholders, the lilfter gouged the siding, so had to replace that too.
- one jet just does not seem to push as much volume as it's twin in the seat, that could be imagination or me being too critical based on the above.   It's not worth the effort to see why, it is still good enough.
- The headrest pillows snap into place, they stay on fine, but if you want to remove them to clean you can see where they might not stay for long, but so far so good.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice tub that has no lights for the waterfall.   I still enjoy it and try and forget the above.   When you pay the amount they charge for the tub, you'd assume the above would not be an issue.  Thankfully the main meat of the tub is fine.  We use it just about every night and have had it almost two and a half years.  Oh, and the foot dome is still my favorite part.   Not only does it help your feet, it keeps me in place instead of floating away.  The experience has made it where I don't think our next house will have our own tub, or ever buy another.  I think they may be similar to a boat.  It's better to know someone with a boat than to be the guy with the boat.

You can look at my profile and show the posts/topics I wrote to find more details on the above.

It sounds like you have a J470, like me. I like the foot dome is awesome, as I don't like touching others' feet and keeps me in place.

Have you had issues with the jacuzzi needing a reset? I just got mine two nights ago and last night the lights simply would not turn on. I needed to reset the tub at the breaker. Was kinda annoyed, but happy it wasn't broken.

mrpenguin

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 10:55:26 pm »
Sorry, but, (nothing against the dealers)

DO NOT BUY JACUZZI!

So I did end up jinxing it!  Went into the tub tonight, just me.   Sat back and the headrest came off.  Happened before.  Wait a second, nope, not this way.
The stinking acrylic piece that the headrest snaps into broke!  You can see the screw threads behind the waterproof washer was snapped in half long ways - like a semi-circle, not just shortening the length.   So now, I have a spot without a headrest and a spot water can get inside the shell.   I wonder how long that piece has been cracked and just gave tonight.   I barely touched it.  Of course it is one by the lifter, so getting to it should be fun.  Wonder how much they will charge and the hassle and run around I will get.  Oh fun.  What a pain in the rear.   So much for that relaxing soak the sales guy promised.  Not his fault.

I now plan on breaking the bottom tab on each of the 3 remaining headrests that don't have it broken off already.  One broke a while ago, but it makes it so much easier to put on/off the headrest when cleaning.  I wonder how close to breaking the others are.

My wife was really depressed when this happened.  She feels it is her fault for convincing me to purchase the tub.  I know it is not her fault.  Just so bad.  Told her when we sell the house, the tub stays for sure.  Let the new owner deal with it whenever we decide to move.

So, my advice to everyone - stay away from Jacuzzi!  I don't care if they read here and this annoys them, maybe they will start to stand behind their product and improve quality!

mrpenguin

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 10:58:49 pm »
Have you had issues with the jacuzzi needing a reset? I just got mine two nights ago and last night the lights simply would not turn on. I needed to reset the tub at the breaker. Was kinda annoyed, but happy it wasn't broken.

Yes, it is the 470.  I did have the lights not turning on and then needing to reset it.  Be ready, you're in for it....   The time that happened is when the waterfall was messing up.   The lights were on, but started flickering out of sequence and just doing their own thing, then poof all lights in the tub, including the external "status light" was off.   After I reset the tub it worked again, till same thing happened.   I now have the waterfall lights unplugged and that has not happened since.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 12:29:08 am »
 Sorry to hear that!  That being said, I have sold twice as many J-470s with out a problem over the last 5 years  than you have posted threads or replies on this website.  Sorry you have had problems/issues, but the spa is a really nice spa.  I think your dealer is less than stellar in taking care of you.      Not slamming you, but yours is the exception to the norm..  I would be camped at my dealers door step. 

mrpenguin

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:30 am »
I agree it cannot be the norm, or at least I want to believe that.  We did all the research we could prior to the purchase.  It all looked like the right choice, another reason it is so annoying.  I think they over-tightened everything when they made the tub, that is what caused the cupholder issue, whistling filter, and now this, or just cheap parts and we actually use the tub instead of have it sit there as a status symbol.   Sadly, my original dealer was dumped by Jacuzzi as well.  I gotta see if this new dealer will do anything, they didn't really do too much before - told me the waterfall leds are not covered and an idea about the whistling.  At least I am handy and saw the replacement part is only $35.  I also saw the waterfall lights dropped down to $85 from $200.  Still not worth $170 every six months to have them.   We'll order and install them when we sell it....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 05:22:53 pm »
My take on Jacuzzi is they have always produced a fine tub, even after their move. They are as good as the rest mentioned. I wasn't a big fan because price and availability of parts was tougher. Some proprietary (higher priced) parts. Our local dealer is gone also. 100 miles away now in Brainerd MN. If a dealer can survive up north the brand is fine. Customers anywhere don't like junk that freezes.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:32 pm »
Like mentioned, Bullfrog is taking floor space from Jacuzzi and Sundance dealers, and pretty sure some HS dealers here and there.  Many of the reps for Bullfrog are from Jacuzzi though not sure how many.   It pretty much pissed Jacuzzi off, specially losing floor space.   I do think it's the protocol to not support ex dealers with parts and support, but I can tell you most if not all our Jacuzzi customers will not buy another Jacuzzi because of it.

Sundance/Jacuzzi cut us off completely when we switched to Bullfrog 3-4 ish years ago as well, wouldn't even take warranty parts back for credit, somewhere we still have like 20 faulty circ pumps they wouldn't give us credit for.  Real nice way to treat us/their customers because now all we can say to customers is "call xyz company" if the tub is under warranty (which btw is a pool company who could really carry less about spas other than they need to have a couple on the floor and it will probably take 3 weeks to get a tech out)..."sorry, can't fix it, Sundance won't provide us with warranty parts" just a nightmare for customers overall and I feel bad for them and as you stated Jacuzzi Jim they will likely never touch that product again

Calisoldier83

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »
mrpenguin,

I've seemed the encounter a problem (hopefully not the plague), where I can't turn off the fountain, even after restarting the spa. There seems to be an issue already, geez.

Have you had such problem?

mrpenguin

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 11:17:24 pm »
Well, the dealer who Jacuzzi replaced everyone in the area with were good.   Quick replies, polite, etc.  In the end, I am still stuck with a tub with a hole in it until I buy the replacement part.   Since the plastic part that holds the headrest on has a light in it, Jacuzzi says it is out of warranty.  A little over two years for that much cash and this many issues.  Never again (I hope).

I've seemed the encounter a problem (hopefully not the plague), where I can't turn off the fountain, even after restarting the spa. There seems to be an issue already, geez.
Not turning off, you mean the flow of water or the lights?  Not being able to turn off the lights would be something different, because the lights are still getting power.  I'd think that is in the control box or one of those blue light controllers (see my other posts).   Is it both or only one, since each are on separate controllers.

Calisoldier83

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:54 am »
Well, the dealer who Jacuzzi replaced everyone in the area with were good.   Quick replies, polite, etc.  In the end, I am still stuck with a tub with a hole in it until I buy the replacement part.   Since the plastic part that holds the headrest on has a light in it, Jacuzzi says it is out of warranty.  A little over two years for that much cash and this many issues.  Never again (I hope).

Not turning off, you mean the flow of water or the lights?  Not being able to turn off the lights would be something different, because the lights are still getting power.  I'd think that is in the control box or one of those blue light controllers (see my other posts).   Is it both or only one, since each are on separate controllers.

Sorry, I move on from the lighting fluke to the waterfall feature. Per the manual, the waterfall operates during the clean cycle and you cannot turn it off with the control panel. So that's not a problem just part of the cleaning feature.

However, the massage selector/diverter on the left side doesn't have enough tension/friction so it has a lot of play in the middle position where it moves freely. It seemed like you might be able to adjust it if you unscrew the cover but didn't want to do it without insight. I have install guys coming tomorrow to put on the cover assist and will call the dealer to figure it out.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:44:20 am by Calisoldier83 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42