What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Reliability of Jacuzzi  (Read 16705 times)

JaxSAH

Reliability of Jacuzzi
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:28:34 pm »
I've owned a Hot Springs spa for many years.  It's time to replace, and I liked a Jacuzzi I wet tested.  I know how reliable the Hot Springs brand is, and am so tempted to stay with it, but I liked the feel of the Jacuzzi tub more. 
I would appreciate input on problems that this brand has had, and if it lasts many years, with minimal problems (as I am on a fixed income now).

Hot Tub Forum

Reliability of Jacuzzi
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:28:34 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Reliability of Jacuzzi
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:42:09 pm »
Pretty much equal.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JaxSAH

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:32 pm »
Thank you for your response, Dr. Spa™ Ret.  Since you are the only one who responded, I am going to assume that is everyone's opinion.

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:18:32 am »
Thank you for your response, Dr. Spa™ Ret.  Since you are the only one who responded, I am going to assume that is everyone's opinion.

That's what the pollsters did during the election  ;)

I like Jacuzzi fine, I think reliability wise they are in line with Watkins.  This is my opinion though... I dropped Jacuzzi not because of their reliability, but because the company (management, warranty, and customer service) took a dip in recent years.  It opened the door for me to carry Bullfrog, of which I think that company is on par with Watkins in every way.

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:03:36 am »
Here is my take on it. 
I would agree that Hot Spring dealer support is going to be better.  This is the relationship between Hot Spring and Dealer not Dealer and Consumer.  I used to deal with Sundance and I would doubt that the relationship is much different.
I can't comment on the current reliability of the product. 
One thing I find quite interesting is the fact that some pretty well known dealers have switched from Jacuzzi.  You can even see it on the board here.  That's pretty telling to me. 

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:24:04 am »
So, what I am seeing is the reliability of the product may be similar, but the support from manufacturer and therefore the dealer, Hot spring may be superior.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

JaxSAH

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:45:06 pm »
One thing I find quite interesting is the fact that some pretty well known dealers have switched from Jacuzzi.  You can even see it on the board here.  That's pretty telling to me.

That is very interesting.  It also makes my decision more difficult.

Calisoldier83

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 12:39:10 am »

They're the same damn warranty. It's all preference. I didn't like the hot springs, Jacuzzi was way more therapeutic for ME and the hot springs had me floating all over the place. Better fit with the Jacuzzi.

d00nut

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 01:54:55 am »
I said they were good quality, good enough to sell them... but as I said, as a dealer, the way in which they support, the response rate to warranty claims submitted, and the reimbursement payouts are all subpar to where they were even just 2-3 years ago.  New management, new direction, which I didn't like... therefore, I went with the new kid on the block, Bullfrog.

I honestly don't believe they are a bad product, in fact quite the opposite.  However, in my experience, they leave a lot to be desired on the support side, regardless if the warranty is the same length.  I shouldn't have to fight for my customers, and I don't have to any more with HSS and Bullfrog, and my life is easier!

At the end of the day, a good dealer will determine your experience

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:33 pm »
I said they were good quality, good enough to sell them... but as I said, as a dealer, the way in which they support, the response rate to warranty claims submitted, and the reimbursement payouts are all subpar to where they were even just 2-3 years ago.  New management, new direction, which I didn't like... therefore, I went with the new kid on the block, Bullfrog.

I honestly don't believe they are a bad product, in fact quite the opposite.  However, in my experience, they leave a lot to be desired on the support side, regardless if the warranty is the same length.  I shouldn't have to fight for my customers, and I don't have to any more with HSS and Bullfrog, and my life is easier!

At the end of the day, a good dealer will determine your experience

We saw the same thing.  Less support from Jacuzzi and long wait time on getting replacement parts/warranty reimbursements.  I think Jacuzzi/Sundance/D1 still build a quality spa, not sure how Thermo spa is.     I honestly do not miss selling them and have been very happy with Bullfrog spas, they have built a great company with a huge market presence and in just  the last 3 almost 4 years.   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »

They're the same damn warranty. It's all preference. I didn't like the hot springs, Jacuzzi was way more therapeutic for ME and the hot springs had me floating all over the place. Better fit with the Jacuzzi.

Same warranty on paper is the same but if one company gets stuff done in 2-3 days and the other takes 2-3 weeks is it really the same warranty?  Seems like in my area all the jacuzzi dealers jumped ship as well. They are all now bullfrog dealers. I would assume a lot of it had to do with a lot of jacuzzi employees now working for bullfrog and from what I read on here from dealers who used to sell jacuzzi is the factory support doesn't appear to be anywhere near where it was at one point. Doesn't mean they don't make a good tub. It's just another thing to think about when you are thinking of purchasing

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »

Same warranty on paper is the same but if one company gets stuff done in 2-3 days and the other takes 2-3 weeks is it really the same warranty?  Seems like in my area all the jacuzzi dealers jumped ship as well. They are all now bullfrog dealers. I would assume a lot of it had to do with a lot of jacuzzi employees now working for bullfrog and from what I read on here from dealers who used to sell jacuzzi is the factory support doesn't appear to be anywhere near where it was at one point. Doesn't mean they don't make a good tub. It's just another thing to think about when you are thinking of purchasing

It's not so much Jacuzzi as (the company) changing for consumers, but changing for the dealers.  It is still on the dealer to take care of the customer in the end and make sure they have certain parts in stock to do so if they are still a dealer.     

Jacuzzi let us go not the other way around, and they cut us off completely of ordering parts and warranty reimbursement.  And that really sucks because we are a customer oriented company.  We have to refer any service calls to the local Sundance dealer and from what I know they are doing fine on the calls there are.   Most customers don't seem to mind, as long as they are taken care of at no charge if under warranty.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 09:15:57 pm »
That sucks Jim. I didn't know they dropped you thought you just switched. Dumb move on there part not letting you service your existing customers

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 12:19:12 am »
 Like mentioned, Bullfrog is taking floor space from Jacuzzi and Sundance dealers, and pretty sure some HS dealers here and there.  Many of the reps for Bullfrog are from Jacuzzi though not sure how many.   It pretty much pissed Jacuzzi off, specially losing floor space.   I do think it's the protocol to not support ex dealers with parts and support, but I can tell you most if not all our Jacuzzi customers will not buy another Jacuzzi because of it.

mrpenguin

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:29 am »
I am a bit bias based on my personal experience, I'd seriously resist buying another Jacuzzi brand if I were to shop again.
Same story as Jacuzzi Jim and others for my dealer.  Jacuzzi dumped them (and the other dealer in the area) and moved to some new Canadian place that expanded to South Florida.  Now they cannot get parts for me and I was told to call Jacuzzi to see if the other place will cover me.  Before then, same thing of slow to get parts, etc.  So, even though it has a warranty, I wonder how much of a hassle it will be if something major goes wrong, or how much the service call will be.

As for my tub itself, quality control was just not there.   Maybe my tub was made on Cinco de Mayo or something.

I had:
- Some of the connectors inside were not fully inserted from factory.  Odd they do not use other style connectors that would click and hold.
- ALL 4 cupholder leds died within 6 months of ownership.   Looking closely, it seems like they were over-tightened and had a hairline crack in them, over time, died.   Just to jinx it, they have been fine since replacing.
- BOTH waterfall leds are non-functioning.  These too died within 6 months.   Replaced.   Replacements died within the next year.  Looks like the build of them are not 100% waterproof.  You can see the rust inside and where water got in.  VERY poor design and/or craftsmanship. 
- leds only have 1 year warranty.  So, unless I want to pay over $200 for the parts alone, I have no more leds for my waterfall at all.  Even if I pay $200, they will be the same as what we have now, and will go bad in no time, so gave up on the waterfall lights.
- One of my jets did not work right from the start.  Ended up being a kinked hose from the factory.   There was water in the system when we received the tub, so you know they "tested" it, but the jet was non-existent until the hose was rerouted to prevent the kink.
- Now, my main filter intake "whistles" if I tighten the filter too much.  If I leave it the slightest bit loose, no whistle, only for a second when circulation pump starts.  I think that joint has a hairline crack in it.
- My lifter was had the foam handles already torn within 2 weeks, replacements were sent, but since things are welded between, not sure how they can be installed.
- In replacing the cupholders, the lilfter gouged the siding, so had to replace that too.
- one jet just does not seem to push as much volume as it's twin in the seat, that could be imagination or me being too critical based on the above.   It's not worth the effort to see why, it is still good enough.
- The headrest pillows snap into place, they stay on fine, but if you want to remove them to clean you can see where they might not stay for long, but so far so good.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice tub that has no lights for the waterfall.   I still enjoy it and try and forget the above.   When you pay the amount they charge for the tub, you'd assume the above would not be an issue.  Thankfully the main meat of the tub is fine.  We use it just about every night and have had it almost two and a half years.  Oh, and the foot dome is still my favorite part.   Not only does it help your feet, it keeps me in place instead of floating away.  The experience has made it where I don't think our next house will have our own tub, or ever buy another.  I think they may be similar to a boat.  It's better to know someone with a boat than to be the guy with the boat.

You can look at my profile and show the posts/topics I wrote to find more details on the above.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42