What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clearwater vs Artesian Spa  (Read 10113 times)

wa2bzy

Clearwater vs Artesian Spa
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:35 pm »
Hi everyone, I am interested in comments or recent experience with Clearwater or Artesian Spas. We are considering Clearwater St. Andrew & Myrtle Beach or Artesian Antigua Elite. Thanks for the help!

Hot Tub Forum

Clearwater vs Artesian Spa
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:35 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Clearwater vs Artesian Spa
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 12:14:08 pm »
Full Disclosure:  I am an Artesian Spas dealer.

Antiqua Elite is a 3 motor system + Circ pump.  2 unique features found nowhere else:  DirectFlow, Switchless Motors. 

DirectFlow:  2 of the 3 motors are variable speed motors.  (Marquis VECTOR series will be introducing this at the expo but they position their VECTOR series ala the PLATINUM ELITE series from Artesian so lets keep it apples to apples).  Nobody does variable speed motors.  That gives you the ability to throttle up or down the rpm's on the motor, vs having only one or two speeds.  Additionally- Artesian has done this for many years so the kinks have been worked out.

They also put the motor next to the seat that the DirectFlow functions on.  This severely reduces all manner of plumbing (Please don't yell at me ala BullFrog Spas plumbing discussions:  I only said its reduced.  I didn't quantify it, guys!).  But yes- Its reduced so you get more bang for your buck out of the motor.  When I have one filled in the showroom its actually very quiet too, relative to other spas.

Switchless Motors:  10-15 less moving parts.  This encourages a longer lifespan.  That will certainly get detractors in a ruffle as, yes, motors are only as good as your water chemistry.  Bad water chemistry = breakdown in the seal = water in electrical components.  I get that.  But it has the ability to last longer if all things are equal.  I will say that I have other brands that don't have this feature and I have noticed less issues overall.

They also run a full 5 year parts/labor warranty that I think only Sundance can match.  I think Master Spas has one like that but it costs extra.  I could be wrong but Artesian is one of the very few with 5 years/100%.  And as a dealer I can attest that they're very easy to work with and pay out expeditiously.

They have a CD ozone that lasts five years as a standard feature but you can do CrystalAOP, and they have super-neato special filter blah blah blah.  To me its all about water chemistry but some salespeople love to discuss that.

I can go on but really its about comfort:  Do you like the way the tub fits your body and do you like the way the jets feel?  Then its the dealer- Are they reputable?  Do they do their own warranty work?  Do they work on the tub outside of the warranty? 

I'll let a Clearwater Spas dealer speak to them as I prefer a positive exchange of information. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »
^^^Wizard, do you know if Artesian typically has a booth setup at the Pool & Spa show? of course I mean the upcoming show in New Orleans.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 12:59:07 pm »
Artesian *WILL* be there.  I will not as I went last year and I don't expect much to have changed in the industry. 

I'd insert an image of their booth but I don't know how to/Don't have the permission to in the settings.

Of the booths that are there (Apollo Group and Watkins do NOT go, which kind sucks cause that is a big chunk of the top end spas), Bullfrog, Marquis, Strong, and Artesian have the coolest, cleanest, neatest booths.  Coast Spas booth isn't bad.  There are some Asian market tubs that are there but we only buy American so I didn't really scope them out, but their booths were ok.  Some booths were embarrassing.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 01:44:12 pm »
Artesian *WILL* be there.  I will not as I went last year and I don't expect much to have changed in the industry. 

I'd insert an image of their booth but I don't know how to/Don't have the permission to in the settings.

Of the booths that are there (Apollo Group and Watkins do NOT go, which kind sucks cause that is a big chunk of the top end spas), Bullfrog, Marquis, Strong, and Artesian have the coolest, cleanest, neatest booths.  Coast Spas booth isn't bad.  There are some Asian market tubs that are there but we only buy American so I didn't really scope them out, but their booths were ok.  Some booths were embarrassing.

Ya I was there last year also, I'm going this year and not really anticipating anything really new but it's nice to get away for a few days.  Bullfrog does a good job, I just recently worked on some showroom graphics with the same guy who designs their booth, he's incredibly creative. Marquis does a good job as well and they act the part of a professional outfit.  It's a shame Watkins doesn't do a booth but there top execs are definitely there is mass quantity (keeping an eye on their long standing dealers lol)  I don't remember Artesian being there but I'll check them out, they are represented in this market by a 'Family Leisure' so of course I'm not interested in picking them up at this time but I'm always curious about all the products in this industry.  My fav. terrible booths are the Asian booths...white table cloth, white sign (written in Chinese) and absolutely no other indicator of what they actually sell, lol

anyways sorry for the derail OP...back to your regularly scheduled programming :-)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:08 pm »
Love a variable speed pump, been putting them in small indoor pools for 10 years. Nice to see them getting more compact for this market. Wouldn't be surprised if more manufacturers started throwing them in soon beside Marquis. Good job Artesian.

Are they more expensive to replace?
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »

Antiqua Elite is a 3 motor system + Circ pump.  2 unique features found nowhere else:  DirectFlow, Switchless Motors. 

DirectFlow:  2 of the 3 motors are variable speed motors.  (Marquis VECTOR series will be introducing this at the expo but they position their VECTOR series ala the PLATINUM ELITE series from Artesian so lets keep it apples to apples).  Nobody does variable speed motors.  That gives you the ability to throttle up or down the rpm's on the motor, vs having only one or two speeds.  Additionally- Artesian has done this for many years so the kinks have been worked out.

They also put the motor next to the seat that the DirectFlow functions on.  This severely reduces all manner of plumbing (Please don't yell at me ala BullFrog Spas plumbing discussions:  I only said its reduced.  I didn't quantify it, guys!).  But yes- Its reduced so you get more bang for your buck out of the motor.  When I have one filled in the showroom its actually very quiet too, relative to other spas.

Switchless Motors:  10-15 less moving parts.  This encourages a longer lifespan.  That will certainly get detractors in a ruffle as, yes, motors are only as good as your water chemistry.  Bad water chemistry = breakdown in the seal = water in electrical components.  I get that.  But it has the ability to last longer if all things are equal.  I will say that I have other brands that don't have this feature and I have noticed less issues overall.

They also run a full 5 year parts/labor warranty that I think only Sundance can match.  I think Master Spas has one like that but it costs extra.  I could be wrong but Artesian is one of the very few with 5 years/100%.  And as a dealer I can attest that they're very easy to work with and pay out expeditiously.   Bullfrog, Hot Springs, Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Dimension 1 all have 5 year parts and labor component warranties

They have a CD ozone that lasts five years as a standard feature but you can do CrystalAOP, and they have super-neato special filter blah blah blah.  To me its all about water chemistry but some salespeople love to discuss that.

I can go on but really its about comfort:  Do you like the way the tub fits your body and do you like the way the jets feel?  Then its the dealer- Are they reputable?  Do they do their own warranty work?  Do they work on the tub outside of the warranty? 

I'll let a Clearwater Spas dealer speak to them as I prefer a positive exchange of information. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:03:19 pm »
Never really looked at artesianbefore either. Will have to stop by the booth in New Orleans and check them out

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 08:04:22 pm »
They are and they aren't, really:  Artesian does 3 motors on their 7' Island Elites (2 DirectFlow motors, one regular motor) and 4 motors on their 8' Island Elites (same just +1 reg motor).  The DirectFlow motors are 2HP so tho they're variable speed, they're still small.  So yes its more than a standard 2hp motor but it lasts longer as its switchless. You can argue both ways as its very next level stuff.  Its an interesting give and take when I am going against another dealer.

The motor is right there next to the seat so it doesn't have to be a big HP to be effective.  Then you get the benefits of variable speed; whether it be the ability to throttle up or down the motor with the dial to customize flow or the efficiency angle.  Then add on that they're switchless motors with less moving parts.   

The Platinum Elites are their super high-end units and they have either 4 or 5 DirectFlow seats.  But then they have a special heater that will automatically switch from 110 to 240 depending on the number of motors being used.  This is to help with energy, which is also pretty cool.

Marquis is introducing VS motors on their 2 VECTOR units at the show so it'll be interesting to see how they're doing it.  Currently Artesian has 12 units that do VS and I am hoping that expands as its a pretty cool sales feature (along with the switchless motors), especially since Marquis (and likely other companies as this is a copy-cat industry) will be in tow soon enough.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 08:33:54 pm »

They also run a full 5 year parts/labor warranty that I think only Sundance can match.  I think Master Spas has one like that but it costs extra.  I could be wrong but Artesian is one of the very few with 5 years/100%.  And as a dealer I can attest that they're very easy to work with and pay out expeditiously.   Bullfrog, Hot Springs, Marquis, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Dimension 1 all have 5 year parts and labor component warranties

I caught that to BSFM but stayed quiet.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:01 am »
You're H.O.F. in my opinion.  Im just a minnow trying to not get gulped up by the big boys, Tman.  I thoroughly enjoy your takes on BF and know I'd get ran out of the arena if I didn't toss up a per-emptive white flag.  :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 12:13:44 pm »
You're H.O.F. in my opinion.  Im just a minnow trying to not get gulped up by the big boys, Tman.  I thoroughly enjoy your takes on BF and know I'd get ran out of the arena if I didn't toss up a per-emptive white flag.  :)

LOL As you know facts can be skewed hundreds of ways to make a "different" fact. I just don't like un-facts. The BF guys are energetic.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:43 pm »
Where did you hear Marquis is doing variable speed pump on their vector line because that's not true.  They are introducing some new stuff but not variable speed pumps.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 03:07:11 pm »
It's new.  It should be introduced at the upcoming show.  I was down to Marquis or Artesian and though ultimately we went Artesian I really respect Marquis and the rep keeps in touch with me.  He keeps me in the loop on what is happening with them, and that was one of the things we've discussed as he continues to try an lure me to their brand. 

I secretly hope its not true as its cutting into a sales feature that is currently exclusive to Artesian Spas.  But it is unless he's being untruthful.  If that is the case then shame on me.  But that is my understanding. 

[Edit:  Spelling]

Hottubprosne

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 03:16:38 pm »
Artesian does not have variable speed motors they would cost a fortune. You can adjust the pressure up and down but they use balboa pumps nothing super exotic. Not trying to be a pain just inform.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 03:16:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42