What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Draining  (Read 3389 times)

Letran

First Time Draining
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:37:49 pm »
So I got a little sidetracked. My summer got summer busy. I was diligently maintaining my water but after a few months of not using it. (My tub was surrounded by unfinished deck rendering it  not accessible) I decided to drain it instead.

The Drain
The water seems clean but a bit cloudy. I poured half a bottle of Whirl-O-Clean and and run the filter cycle for a couple of hours. This is after removing the filters of course.
The funny thing is that the filters are dirtier than when I changed the filter and actually used the tub.
Without water I could see the tub acrylic have slime buildup. At the bottom there is what I presume a rust buildup in around some sort of a drain
I proceeded to rinse the tub with the hose rinsing the whole tub
Took off the pillows, Unscrewed water nozzles I could take off
Soaked and cleaned the nozzles with vinegar and vinyl cleaner for the pillows
I have left it empty and unplugged for the last few weeks

The Re-fill
How cold is cold before I need to fill this tub turn it on again? It is still surrounded by an unfinished deck so it will still be unused until this deck gets finished. I did not want to take a chance of winterizing the tub.
What would be minimum water maintenance

Hot Tub Forum

First Time Draining
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:37:49 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: First Time Draining
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:55:52 pm »
So I got a little sidetracked. My summer got summer busy. I was diligently maintaining my water but after a few months of not using it. (My tub was surrounded by unfinished deck rendering it  not accessible) I decided to drain it instead.

The Drain
The water seems clean but a bit cloudy. I poured half a bottle of Whirl-O-Clean and and run the filter cycle for a couple of hours. This is after removing the filters of course.
The funny thing is that the filters are dirtier than when I changed the filter and actually used the tub.
Without water I could see the tub acrylic have slime buildup. At the bottom there is what I presume a rust buildup in around some sort of a drain
I proceeded to rinse the tub with the hose rinsing the whole tub
Took off the pillows, Unscrewed water nozzles I could take off
Soaked and cleaned the nozzles with vinegar and vinyl cleaner for the pillows
I have left it empty and unplugged for the last few weeks

The Re-fill
How cold is cold before I need to fill this tub turn it on again? It is still surrounded by an unfinished deck so it will still be unused until this deck gets finished. I did not want to take a chance of winterizing the tub.
What would be minimum water maintenance

Clear a path to it and use it damnit!!!!!! Use some pallets to make a walkway through the dirt.

Winterizing is not that difficult. If your not going to use it winterize it. Water can be added even below freezing as long as it is not sustained for more than 24-48 hours. If it gets cold at night 20-30's fill it during the day and turn it on. It will be circulating and warm by evening. Colder than 20-30's is different. Use all your hot water and a couple other hoses if you have the pressure or a cool neighbor and go fast.

IMO easiest is adding dichlor and bleach every couple, three days glug, glug. Use more after use if you do. Let it off gas for 10 minutes. My water only needs baking soda to balance so.......depends on your water. Check and balance initially. Adjust if needed monthly. Get 2 sets of filters and rotate them monthly when your adjusting.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

Re: First Time Draining
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:55:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42