What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Weird question  (Read 3090 times)

jmk1234

Weird question
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:47 pm »
Would anyone know what the brand goes off of when rating people in the tub? Its a weird question but over the weekend had some family over. We are no small fries. 2 are over 6 ft tall and roughly around 240- 250 and then myself which is around 225 and my Brother which I would say is around 200. 

My Jacuzzi is a 5-6 person tub J-335, but when all 4 of us would sit in the seats  the water would displace submerging the pillows and with any movement would send water over the edge. I figured because its my tub and I don't want water loss or possible damage to internal equipment i got out but the water was still above pillow level without me in it -225 lbs or so. I just had the tech out at my house and he said the tub was filled adequately and not over or underfilled.

My question is if jacuzzi assumes general weight limit to prevent water from overflowing like that? I am sure Jacuzzi besides the seats is a general weight calculation like airplanes say each passenger weighs 185 lbs. With just 2 people in it the tub waters rise fairly high and were not morbidly obese people.  and i am now afraid to have people go in it in fear of pretty much drowning the patio and killing the hot tub equipment. again my major concern is more about damaging internal equipment or electric more than water loss because obviously the water can be replaced where as the equipment not so much.  I mean whats the point of calling a 5-6 person tub when only 3 can be in it lol.

Like I said its a weird topic to touch but wanted to see if hot tub brands assume 5-6 people at say 185 lbs or less based on each persons weight due to water displacement, or is it acceptable to let water overflow as long as its replaced with a hose afterwards.

Hot Tub Forum

Weird question
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:47 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Weird question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:42:09 am »
or is it acceptable to let water overflow as long as its replaced with a hose afterwards.

Yes
Retired

jmk1234

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
or is it acceptable to let water overflow as long as its replaced with a hose afterwards.

Yes

Thanks

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:44:28 pm »
  I think mnfgs describe spa capacity as a person in every seat or on a step and very small people at that.  Realistically a 7x7 non lounge spa will hold 4 very comfortably, then it's just a matter of how many others might get in.  Now a J-335 7x7 really is 3 people very comfortable due to the lounge, Jacuzzi saying 5 to 6 is just a bit out of whack in my opinion most spa companies over rate the amount of people their spa should seat, not hold.    Now if it's me and a bunch of super models I say load it up!   ;D

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:56:58 pm »
Most manufactures say if you are going to be at or over capacity they have to bring alcohol.
Retired

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:32:16 pm »
Most manufactures say if you are going to be at or over capacity they have to bring alcohol.

I use to tell people if they got in their new spa naked it would void the warranty, then watch the reaction.  Many would say really, but then figure out I was actually joking with them.     

39lasalle

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 06:52:25 am »
Since looking at tubs we went by my own "half method", meaning if the tub said it was a six person , it really meant that it was a 3 person and so forth.    Seemed to work for us

dertl

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:29 am »
My hot springs is rated for 175lbs per persons. So I am damn near 2 people. I'm a big guy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42