What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump still running after Filter cycle  (Read 12257 times)

derpy1527

Pump still running after Filter cycle
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:31:56 pm »
I recently purchased a hot spot relay. Upon delivery I changed the first filter cycle to 30 minutes so they both matched. The past couple days I've noticed that after the filter cycle the jets stay on. I'm not sure how long they stay on but it seemed to run well over an hour so I finally turned it off. I've been gone on vacation for 5 days so not sure when this started. Is this normal? In my mind
With filter cycle kicks off the jets should too.

Hot Tub Forum

Pump still running after Filter cycle
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:31:56 pm »

derpy1527

Re: Pump still running after Filter cycle
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:08:19 am »
Just an update on something I tried last night. Granted by the time I left for work it hadn't kicked on for the morning filter cycle, so I'm not sure I 'fixed' anything.

So I went to mess with it, I have temp on 98 and it said temp was 98. So I cranked it up to 104, but jets were already running so that's normal. Then I cranked back down to 98 temp said ready and jets kicked off without me touching jets button. Then just for fun cranked back to 104 and jets kicked on which is right to get it circulating to heat. Then back down to 98 and it kicked off. Makes me think it's something with temp setting although that hasn't changed cause I haven't even been here this weekend.

derpy1527

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:00:20 pm »
I had dealer come out and take a look, they did some diagnosis and said everything was just fine. A few weeks went by, everything seemed to be normal, and then here I am again, 2 days in a row where the tub just kicks on. Already up to temp, no filter cycle on, yet it's running. Only way to get it to stop is to turn it off. I'm not sure what to do, we are about to go on vacation and I don't want this thing running the whole time we are gone.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:29:48 pm »
you'll want to set it to achieve 6-8 hours of filtration per day which is a typical "rule of thumb" regarding filtration time in that size of a spa so each cycle should be set for 3-4 hours.  You could always start a little less to save on utilities cost.

scoobywagon02

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »
you'll want to set it to achieve 6-8 hours of filtration per day which is a typical "rule of thumb" regarding filtration time in that size of a spa so each cycle should be set for 3-4 hours.  You could always start a little less to save on utilities cost.

I disagree with having that spa filter that frequently. It is a large pump 2 speed pump that runs filtration on low speed. Factory settings are generally 1 hour for F1 and 30 mins for F2. I usually tell my customers to leave the factory settings and adjust as needed based on usage. If you set it for 3-4 hours per filtration cycle you are definitely going to see a temperature surge as the heat from the pumps will get trapped in the cabinet. Are you flipping the breaker on and off frequently? If you flip the breaker off you reset the internal spa clock and the filtration cycles start all over again. The first filtration cycle usually starts 10 minutes after the spa is turned on. If you are constantly turning it on and off you are re-setting the internal clock and that is your issue.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 03:29:14 pm »

I disagree with having that spa filter that frequently. It is a large pump 2 speed pump that runs filtration on low speed. Factory settings are generally 1 hour for F1 and 30 mins for F2. I usually tell my customers to leave the factory settings and adjust as needed based on usage. If you set it for 3-4 hours per filtration cycle you are definitely going to see a temperature surge as the heat from the pumps will get trapped in the cabinet. Are you flipping the breaker on and off frequently? If you flip the breaker off you reset the internal spa clock and the filtration cycles start all over again. The first filtration cycle usually starts 10 minutes after the spa is turned on. If you are constantly turning it on and off you are re-setting the internal clock and that is your issue.

all depends on where he lives....the factory default filtration settings on a hot spot are longer than what you are suggesting (I believe it was 2.5 hours total last time I sold one) doesn't make sense to me to go below the factory minimum recommended setting to me (your mileage may vary)...its all moot point though because as stated it will also depend on where he's located as we approach colder temps....set a spa in MN with 1.5 hours of filtration per day and the spa will kick on to heat (multiple shorter increments of course) for 3-4 hours anyway unless you have it set to 'economy' in which case you'll come outside to a spa with water temps below your set temp

scoobywagon02

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 03:49:41 pm »
Factory preset is 1 hour for F1 and 30 mins for F2 you can call Watkins if you don't believe me. We recommend staying within factory settings. The other thing you may want to consider is a Watkins winterizing kit that may help keep heat in if you are in a colder climate. Again though if you keep flipping the breaker you are basically resetting all the filtration cycles which would make it seem like spa is running much more then it should. If it is not in a filtration cycle which will be indicated on control panel then the spa is calling for heat.

derpy1527

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 11:20:46 am »
Not sure where some of this conversation is going, but I do hopefully have a solution. I wasn't referring to how long to filter, I know that's dependent on lots of things, so for the sake of this thread, let's pretend it's being filtered correctly.

The problem is the tub randomly kicks on, and doesn't ever turn itself off. After much persistence with the dealer, who hasn't been overly helpful, and contacting the manufacturer, Watkins, I found out there is a computer bug for the Rhythm and Relay models where this very exact thing is happening. Basically it thinks it needs to run pumps due to temp, then it never turns itself off. They are supposed to be coming out tomorrow to upgrade the software, and this is supposed to take care of the glitch. Hopefully it really is that simple.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:38:49 pm »
I sell Caldera and the vacanza series is pretty much the same a the hot spots and I hadn't heard this, though that was the first thing I thought reading this. I'm thinking if it was a widespread problem dealers would've gotten a tech bulletin on it. How old is your tub..........I do agree with twin cities 1 1/2 hours per day isnt enough filtration time

ridge

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 05:29:53 am »
I have seen the same thing on Our Tempo, but it hasn't done it in a while now? I have F1 at 3hr and F2 at 2.5hr per dealer.

derpy1527

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:51 pm »
I sell Caldera and the vacanza series is pretty much the same a the hot spots and I hadn't heard this, though that was the first thing I thought reading this. I'm thinking if it was a widespread problem dealers would've gotten a tech bulletin on it. How old is your tub..........I do agree with twin cities 1 1/2 hours per day isnt enough filtration time

According to the manufacturer, there is a tech bulletin on it. My tub is about 4 weeks old. You'd think they'd be updating software on all of them, because based on what I was told this is a pretty common occurrence.

derpy1527

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 04:40:43 pm »
I have seen the same thing on Our Tempo, but it hasn't done it in a while now? I have F1 at 3hr and F2 at 2.5hr per dealer.

Mine went a week without doing it again, so if you've seen the problem more than once, I'd be calling. This seems to be a widespread issue.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 08:49:22 pm »

According to the manufacturer, there is a tech bulletin on it. My tub is about 4 weeks old. You'd think they'd be updating software on all of them, because based on what I was told this is a pretty common occurrence.

Maybe it's just a issue with the hot spots then. I haven't had any issues with the vacanza tubs. I checked and didn't see any tech bulletins so maybe just Hot Spring dealers got them

derpy1527

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:40 pm »
Yes the dealer I purchased from sells Hot Spot and Hot Springs exclusively, so I'm not aware if this particular problem affects any other brand.

derpy1527

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »
I sure hope it's not having problems again, but seems like the past couple nights, it's been running again and its at temp.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42